03 Lincoln LS 3.0L V6 questions?

Donny

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2000 LS died last week and i am thinking of purchasing another its a 2003 V6 with 95K on it.
My question is how reliable are the 3.0 V6 engines and are they expensive to work on?
The car is mint and I can get it for $4800.00 which is way below Blue Book value.

What exactly happened to the other LS? The only reason I ask is that I've had plenty of cars "die" on me. It was usually because they started to have problems that I would ignore and things would get out of hand and I'd have to get rid of it. You'll always be throwing money into cars, especially ones with 95000 miles. My guess is that the 3.0 is easier/less $$ to maintain just because I think it's more popular in other fords. Your best bet is to take a test drive on it and see how she runs. Get a V8 though, so much cooler ;) . Anyways, good luck.

V6

01V6 is a steady performer, never a lick of trouble from the engine at 131K. The problems come from hydra cooling fan system, alternator, tranny, and degradation of plastic engine parts due to heat. Otherwise no problems.

01V6 is a steady performer, never a lick of trouble from the engine at 131K. The problems come from hydra cooling fan system, alternator, tranny, and degradation of plastic engine parts due to heat. Otherwise no problems.

The hydraulic cooling fan issues don't apply to the 2003 and up.

My 2005 is in mint condition and it's had plenty of issues. All 6 Coil on plugs, transmission, window motors and intake system. But I still enjoy the car.

It's too bad the LS has as many issues as it does. Ford simply should have put more time into this car. They took their time refining the Mark VIII and I never had any issues with mine. Put 120K on her before I sold her and the guy who bought it is still driving it everyday. They rushed and cut corners on the LS. If it would have held up better and had a better track record I think more people would have been interested in them when they sat of dealership lots. Most people buy them now because you get so much for so little and they are a really nice car. But once owners start to experience all the costly issues it turns them sour against buying another Lincoln.

Not me... I plan to buy my MKZ Hybrid next year.

My 2005 is in mint condition and it's had plenty of issues. All 6 Coil on plugs, transmission, window motors and intake system. But I still enjoy the car.

It's too bad the LS has as many issues as it does. Ford simply should have put more time into this car. They took their time refining the Mark VIII and I never had any issues with mine. Put 120K on her before I sold her and the guy who bought it is still driving it everyday. They rushed and cut corners on the LS. If it would have held up better and had a better track record I think more people would have been interested in them when they sat of dealership lots. Most people buy them now because you get so much for so little and they are a really nice car. But once owners start to experience all the costly issues it turns them sour against buying another Lincoln.

Not me... I plan to buy my MKZ Hybrid next year.

While we all wish they had put more effort into the LS and had eliminated its main weaknesses, I really doubt that had anything at all to do with its failure as far as sales went.

Lincoln didn't market it very well.
It wasn't the sort of car most expected to find at a Lincoln dealership.
While it was a good value for what it was, it was overpriced for what most Lincoln buyers expected it to be.

Maybe I've had better than average luck with both of mine, but I wouldn't say they are unreliable. I will say that there is little excuse for problems with the COPs and the DCCV.

The thing that turns me against another Lincoln is that they don't have a performance, rear wheel drive, V8 car to sell me.

What exactly happened to the other LS? The only reason I ask is that I've had plenty of cars "die" on me. It was usually because they started to have problems that I would ignore and things would get out of hand and I'd have to get rid of it. You'll always be throwing money into cars, especially ones with 95000 miles. My guess is that the 3.0 is easier/less $$ to maintain just because I think it's more popular in other fords. Your best bet is to take a test drive on it and see how she runs. Get a V8 though, so much cooler ;) . Anyways, good luck.

The engine blew, Long story original motor took in water during flood got screwed on a junk yard replacment that never ran right and finally took a crap.
also my 17 year old daughter smashed in the front fender and door a few months ago and I couldn't afford to fix it.

Aw man that sucks. I will say that I see less people coming in with v6 problems opposed to v8. I think the 8 might have been more popular though.

The engine blew, Long story original motor took in water during flood got screwed on a junk yard replacment that never ran right and finally took a crap.
also my 17 year old daughter smashed in the front fender and door a few months ago and I couldn't afford to fix it.

What did you do with it? Please don't say it went to the bone yard!:eek:

The thing that turns me against another Lincoln is that they don't have a performance, rear wheel drive, V8 car to sell me.

agreed 1,000%,

there has always been a pretty close version of a ford sports cars as a Lincoln, the mark VII was close to a fox body, the mark VIII was pretty close to a SN95 mustang, at least when they missed the mark on the LS, they also made an equally bad choice on the Tbird.

its definitely time for a RWD car with the new mustang motor again, they could do just like caddy does with the CTS, and use the regular V6 and then throw there beast of a V8 in to it as well, i would settle for a MKS with a 5.0. in Australia, they have a boss 5.4 Falcon, which is pretty much a taurus (size wise, not platform) and the 5.0 is expected to replace the 5.4 because of their newer emission standards.

hell, right now, i would even settle for a RWD version of the 3.5 ecoboost!

I have a 2003 V6 with 85000 miles. The only problem I have had with it is a PVC hose ( I may be saying it wrong), oil pan leak (that was expensive, they had to drop the power steering assembly). My driver window regulator has been replaced twice, and my lock acuator needs to be replaced. I drive my car hard, and I am confident I can drive across the US, and make it.

I think V6 is great. I have an 01. 202,000miles. Had many problems with other parts but with engine not really. Replaced coils and plugs at 100,200miles. Have a little leak from oil pan gasket but that could happen to any engine.

Only problems I've had are three coils and the DCCV on my '05 V6. 3.0 is a reliable motor, just don't expect a race car.

Thanks Guys
I am really hoping the car is still on the lot when my check comes in cause it is really the best car i could find for the money.

I will keep you all posted, Wish me luck!

Members online

Back