Underdrive pullies FTL

If you remove your crank pulley, make sure to put it on ALL THE WAY.

A pulley installer does NOT guarantee that you will.
A torque wrench does NOT guarantee that you will.
An impact wrench MIGHT do it, but not guaranteed.

Whatever method you choose, leave the socket on the crank pulley, tap THE SOCKET will a heavy hammer, then re-torque. Repeat this process several times until the pulley DEFINITELY is on fully.

I failed to follow this procedure, torqued the bolt, checked it again, replaced the belt and drove off. Well, after driving it about a month and a half, I punched it down into passing gear on the interstate, and here is what happened:

TriggerWheelBroken.jpg

I'm gonna be pulling my front cover this spring and replacing the balancer as well. If torquing it per the service manual isn't good enough, then what IS the recommended way? Wouldn't hammering it on potentially damage the crank? Assuming I can find the Ford tool, is that better in some way?

If my balancer tool cannot seat a balancer I don't know what will. Never had one not seat tight.

I'm gonna be pulling my front cover this spring and replacing the balancer as well. If torquing it per the service manual isn't good enough, then what IS the recommended way? Wouldn't hammering it on potentially damage the crank? Assuming I can find the Ford tool, is that better in some way?

Keep hammers and impact wrenches away, unless you don't care about the crankshaft thrust washers.

If my balancer tool cannot seat a balancer I don't know what will. Never had one not seat tight.

+1

First of all, you don't hammer the BALANCER itself (or at least I didn't). I tapped - TAPPED, the socket to make sure the crank pulley was seated against the trigger wheel properly.

That's it. Y'all are welcome to do whatever you want - I wish you the best. I'm just telling you what works for me and what I learned the hard way about a 4.6 crank pulley.

We have a harmonic balancer puller/installer kit at the shop. Maybe just that particular one is a POS, but I don't like it.

OK so we've established all the things NOT to do, but not what TO do. RotM, are you talking about the Ford tool or something else? Considering the price of a used Ford tool, it's hard to justify buying one for a one-time use. Yeah I can sell it again, but probably not for the price the tool sites sell them for.

PS in my " March underdrive" post I show the sweet proper balancer install kit to put them on correct. Just is peeps want to know what to look for. I got it used off Ebay for cheap.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=74906

Just checked out your thread. Yeh, the kit we have doesn't look like that. Nice work, BTW!

On my build, I'm not using the powdered metal trigger wheel anyways, I'm using the stamped steel one - MUCH better design which I imagine is why Ford changed to it!

TriggerWheelPMvsStampedSteel2.jpg

Just checked out your thread. Yeh, the kit we have doesn't look like that. Nice work, BTW!

On my build, I'm not using the powdered metal trigger wheel anyways, I'm using the stamped steel one - MUCH better design which I imagine is why Ford changed to it!

I'm just going by what I've read, but it's my understanding that the stamped steel wheel isn't interchangeable with the older powdered metal wheel unless you swap chain sprockets as well.

I'm just going by what I've read, but it's my understanding that the stamped steel wheel isn't interchangeable with the older powdered metal wheel.

Stamped one works (I think you just have to make the spacer shown in that pic?)Just to make wheels same thickness. I will be using the stamped steel one in new engine also.

OK so we've established all the things NOT to do, but not what TO do. RotM, are you talking about the Ford tool or something else? Considering the price of a used Ford tool, it's hard to justify buying one for a one-time use. Yeah I can sell it again, but probably not for the price the tool sites sell them for.

You should be able to "rent" a balancer remover and/or installer from Autozone.

You should be able to "rent" a balancer remover/installer set from Autozone.

Do they have the install tool? I know they have the puller but don't remember seeing the install kit on sheet. But you would think they would.

Do they have the install tool? I know they have the puller but don't remember seeing the install kit on sheet. But you would think they would.

From their Loan-a-Tools list:

Harmonic Balancer Installer
Harmonic Balancer Puller

I have a combined kit that I use, similar to yours, although mine came with both a long and short puller screw. :cool:

HPIM3157.jpg

Members online

Back