Thinking bout 1993 Mustang.......

guinnessman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
This guy has a 93 Stang it's a "feature car" white on white with convertible and 5 speed. He says it's a NEW T-5Z world class tranny and clutch with 120K on Engine for $3500....!!!

Sound good? It has stock 3.08's and in the picture the intake manifold says COBRA on it, making me think it's the 235HP Version of the 302.

Should I Bite??

Check it..

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1546775300.html

PS I miss driving Manual.......i luv my 96 LSC but it doesn't cure that "Craving" i got for a Manual V8!!! I emailed him bout the car asking if it was able to be legally inspected and that's when he said it was legal, and he explained the stock gears and Mileage etc.

120K is a little high to be paying 3500 for that car.

Any value that car had from being 'rare' is long gone due to mileage and parts he added. At this point its just another convertable fox body mustang. Maybe in 20-30 years people would be willing to overlook those aspects for the rarity of the car, but I doubt it.

The cobra manifolds are available aftermarket, so it doesnt mean it is the engine out of the cobra model.

It looks as if it has a lift off hood. Thats something else to consider. Not everybody wants to deal with that, especially with a convertable, as half the year you loose the primary storage space for the lift off hood.

Id offer 2500 if its near mint, 2000 max otherwise.

You made mention of inspection. If it doesnt have a current inspection, and you are unsure of what it needs to be able to pass inspection, Id look for another. Those cars are a dime a dozen.

That is just my personal oppinion, and what I would pay in my market. Others may have a different view and your market might vary slightly but probably not too much since youre kind of local.

Mr. Wilson, remember, cars depreciate, then they keep depreciating, unless they're one of the nice ones left. It's hard for a car to be worth less than 3 thou if it's kept up. If this was 7 or 8 years ago, I hear ya. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay, and 3 thou for a nice fox body is pocket change.

I like seeing a nice '93 cobra or gt with a nice set of wheels and decent exhaust. They're a gem when they're nice.

if your gonna buy this car make sure you look at the undercaridge real good,floorboards under the drivers and pass.theres a seam that loves to rust and door hidges,trunk and don't forget to remove the back seat and if you could remove the kick panels,these cars love to rust in hidden places,if I were you I would but a SSP I have one and its from NM no rust and nice and tight,better the weather the better shape of the car any questions feel free to ask me

Id buy it.... I am buying a fox sooner or later too... I have a 408w being built and no car to put it in lol. I kinda would like to do a early 70s maverick too..

Thats a good price if its not rusted to sh*t. 120,000 miles is not that much for a 17 year old car, hell thats only a little over 7000 miles a year.

I have only had 8 Fox bodies so I am no pro but I can tell you the car is worth every penny of $3500 and then some. There were not many made and the wing is something Notch Mustang owners search for. The hall have T5 world class trans in them so thats nothing special. I would ditch the hood for a normally opening hood.
Things to note. The A/C has been removed and the power steering pump relocated. Also he removed the weak sauce alt and replaced it with a 3G alt.
As stated the plenum is aftermarket and that little bump in front of the throttle opening meens its a Chinese made plenum. They have issues with sealing properly but you can sell it and buy an Explorer GT-40 plenum and have $100 left over. The GT-40 plenum flows better anyway and looks trick.

Things to check: Make sure the front seat mounts are not ripped out of the bracket, it happens allot. Also check the rear lower controll arm to body mounts. They are called torque boxes and rip out fairly easy in a geared Fox. There is a nice reinforcement kit made for that.
Also (this requires some contorsion and getting dirty) check the frame rails where the front lower controll arms mount to the body. This is a bad spot for rust and if you see more then a quarter size pass on the car as thats a big big job. Check the lower radiator support for any deformaties. Foxes most often rear end people and that always gets fugged up. If its bent... pass on the car. Also check the door hinges for rust at the body. Again thats a big job and I would pass.

If all that is clean then the car is worth $3000 with no motor in it.

I have only had 8 Fox bodies so I am no pro but I can tell you the car is worth every penny of $3500 and then some. There were not many made and the wing is something Notch Mustang owners search for. The hall have T5 world class trans in them so thats nothing special. I would ditch the hood for a normally opening hood.
Things to note. The A/C has been removed and the power steering pump relocated. Also he removed the weak sauce alt and replaced it with a 3G alt.
As stated the plenum is aftermarket and that little bump in front of the throttle opening meens its a Chinese made plenum. They have issues with sealing properly but you can sell it and buy an Explorer GT-40 plenum and have $100 left over. The GT-40 plenum flows better anyway and looks trick.

Things to check: Make sure the front seat mounts are not ripped out of the bracket, it happens allot. Also check the rear lower controll arm to body mounts. They are called torque boxes and rip out fairly easy in a geared Fox. There is a nice reinforcement kit made for that.
Also (this requires some contorsion and getting dirty) check the frame rails where the front lower controll arms mount to the body. This is a bad spot for rust and if you see more then a quarter size pass on the car as thats a big big job. Check the lower radiator support for any deformaties. Foxes most often rear end people and that always gets fugged up. If its bent... pass on the car. Also check the door hinges for rust at the body. Again thats a big job and I would pass.

If all that is clean then the car is worth $3000 with no motor in it.

words of fox wisdom here...i was to lazy to type all that

Thanks a million guys. Wow LaserSVT thanks for pointing out all that, it helps alot.

I would have never knew about that stuff.

I've had quite a few foxes too...

Definitely want to give it an over and under inspection for sure.

That T5Z world class doesnt mean much, just means its got a replacement trans in it. If I'm not mistaken all mustangs with the T5 came with the "world class" T5 after '85-ish. Just means things are on roller bearings, and I think first gear is better in that replacement unit.

I've gotten to the point where I am tired of trying to find a NICE fox, so I'm building one. 4 cylinder cars are the best bet for a clean car.

Those special editions are nice though.

I cant see pictures at work, but I do know that sometimes if someone is crafty enough, Ford used to sell "COBRA" intake plaques and its as easy as 4 screws to say you have a cobra intake. Laser hit it on the money... go get an explorer intake, send me the stock throttlebody and the explorer throttlebody and I'll make the explorer unit work on the stang. Also search the boneyard for a set of GT40 heads while youre out searching for the intake... GT40's have 3 vertical bars on the front of the heads, GT40P's have 4 bars, and a bad spark plug angle for headers. Both are good heads.

Gettin harder to find NICE LOW mileage foxes anymore...

I've got 230K on my black '94 GT 5.0L car

You are all wrong about the trans. The T5Z is a Ford RAcing Catalog trans. It is much better than the stock trans, for a T5. It has several differences from the stock trans.

1263845832.jpg

Crap! My bad, I dont read too well. :( I only saw T5 World class and paid no attention to the Z. My bad. 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for me.

You are all wrong about the trans. The T5Z is a Ford RAcing Catalog trans. It is much better than the stock trans, for a T5. It has several differences from the stock trans.

Mehh... either way... still junk when you go putting any sort of power in front of them..

My friend Steve had a 306 in his '89 and broke his left and right, even after a full rebuild... TWICE... gosh he's had that thing apart a bunch... finally said screw it and got a 3550... then upgraded it to TKO600 specs... just put in those new shift forks so he can powe shift it easer too... should be nice when he gets his 347 back from the machine shop.

Of course I'll be starting out with a fresh T5 for now too...

And Guiness.... as far as stang go... with that many miles on it... Pay CLOSE attention to the front frame rails!!!! Good friend of mine has a '90 coupe that he drives daily that both rails are rusted in 2 just in front of the strut towers... Scary...

the funny thing about T5's, there i guys launching them at 4000 RPM with 300+hp all day long running them every weekend...and there is guys blowing them up with mostly stock 302's left and right...you win some lose some with t5's...personally i have lost every time

the funny thing about T5's, there i guys launching them at 4000 RPM with 300+hp all day long running them every weekend...and there is guys blowing them up with mostly stock 302's left and right...you win some lose some with t5's...personally i have lost every time

LOL you are soo right... Steve used to launch his on 150shot at 5800 and it held for the LONGEST time... she just got tired...

I'm with you though... havent had much luck outta them.

I've heard excellent things about the G-Force kit for them though... I'd like to go that route one day. Several guys down here in Cincinnati running them... smooth as butter...

LOL you are soo right... Steve used to launch his on 150shot at 5800 and it held for the LONGEST time... she just got tired...

I'm with you though... havent had much luck outta them.

I've heard excellent things about the G-Force kit for them though... I'd like to go that route one day. Several guys down here in Cincinnati running them... smooth as butter...

i think T56 is in my cars future, ill keep killing T5's until then

T5 is a great little trans. Where people are messing them up is not going to a complete stop before putting them in reverse and not making sure they were under 5 mph before going back into first. Both of those will cause issues in the trans. Also power shifting second hurts them.
The BIG thing is the clutch. DOnt want too much bite! If the clutch cant give cause its for a 600 hp application then the trans takes the punishment. Strongest clutch a T5 should ever see is a Centerforce II. Will have more then enough bite for a 450 hp application but wont shock the trans so much when you dump the clutch at 5k.

And the reason I went through so many Foxes is I have a short attention span. I fix her up and then get bored. Although my last two Foxes were a different storry. :lol:
Bought an 89 GT for $3000 and then an idiot t-boned me. He was only doing 5mph so the dammage was only the fender and the wheel was scratched. Insurance totaled it out for $4200 and let me keep it with a clear title. I sold it for $3000 and bought a 92 GT for $5000 that looked nice but was a night mare. After working on it for two weeks straight (14 hours a day, every day) I got it road worthy and on its maiden trip the hood flipped up and mashed in the cowl and dimpled the roof as well as killed the hood. Insurance gave me $4000 and let me keep the car with a clear title. I replaced the hood, windshield and cowl then sold the car on ebay for $7500! :eek:
Took that money and bought a 96 Cobra for $6000 and have been a die hard 4V guy since. :D

Yeah LaserSVT those 4v Cobras are beautiful. Those are my favorite years also although i'd love to have a Terminator Cobra. As much as i love fox stangs, they are still kinda foreign to me. I've been used to 4.6 engines ever since my 1995 Thunderbird.

Fox Mustangs don't generally follow the rule of depreciation like other cars of that era. The only thing that really hurts the value IMO is that it is a convertible, though it is still a fair price if all is in good shape. In the Fox universe notch>hatch>convertible, the only real exception being the 93 Cobra. Remember that in 93 Ford went to hypereutectic pistons instead of the TRW forged ones in the earlier cars just in case you are looking at a power adder. The beauty of these cars is the ability to mod without having the redo the computer after small mods, unlike similar year GM models. The EEC-IV control system was great and simple to diagnose/repair. Also look for heater core leaks or a bypassed heater core. They aren't really any harder to change out than doing a blend door on our cars, but OEM units have really gone up in price and you don't want a cheap Mexican unit. Free mods such as removing the air silencer and bumping the timing are really easy. I've had several Fox's, the last one I built from the ground up and kept for 9 years. I really miss that car.

I still have my 91GT. Bought it brand new as a college graduation present to my self. This July 17th will be 19yrs. Damn, its been that long....LOL

Members online

No members online now.
Back