Clearwater Florida track day....

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in hitting the track on Wednesday Jan 6th? Sunshine dragstrip in Clearwater Florida. Before I do anything else to my car I want to see what it does.

Sunshine is only an 1/8th mile track. I don't feel like going to Bradenton now because I can't get anyone to go there. It's close to me, but an extra hour drive for everyone I know so I'm stuck with the 1/8th mile track.

I'd love some competition... especially from and LS or a Caddy. But any competition will do just fine :D

i'd take my 93 but i havent had the car long enough to make sure everything is kosher with it lol!

I would go ,but I havent put a posi in my M7 yet. It has 235 street tires too. I think it would be just a one wheel peel fest. I might change my mind or get some tires by then. Let us know by weds. afternoon if your still going.

you guys think because i have parts laying around that i want to go blow my motor up, i may have parts, but i dont have money or time to fix an unnessesary broken car! you can rest easy after tax check is in my hand the car will see retarded mods and then the track, until then i need it to get me to and from work with no headaches!!!! i could trailer the rosemist mark to the track and hammer that baby with no air ride in it, i'll call it the pink track hugger!!!

so I'm stuck with the 1/8th mile track.

you realize, you only get 20 more mph between the 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile mark...right?

imho 1/8th mile is "where the race is", everything after the 660 mark is the equivalent of a "school zone/20mph".

you realize, you only get 20 more mph between the 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile mark...right?

imho 1/8th mile is "where the race is", everything after the 660 mark is the equivalent of a "school zone/20mph".

With my stang (or should I say my ex stang) I would agree because the 2v falls on it's face after 75mph...

But with the Mark VIII the DOHC shines up top. I was studying many of the times on dragtimes.com and I noticed that our cars are quite slow in the 1/8th but start hauling ass afterwards. Makes sense because with 3.07 gears in base (3.27 in LSC) our cars have a lot of weight to move out of the hole with not enough torque to get it moving fast enough. Partner that with an engine that is not known for its low end power and it's easy to see why that is the result.

the stang and your mark 8 pick up the SAME 20 MPH between the 1/8th and the 1/4.

The "top end" on a mark 8 does not circumvent simple math and physics.
you have to run DEEP into the 11's before you pick up MORE than 20MPH on the big end.

I've got roughly 4000 timeslips that support this..and if you go look at dragtimes.com.. look at the MPH differences between the 1/8th and the 1/4.....the numbers dont lie.. the people might but the numbers dont.

With my stang (or should I say my ex stang) I would agree because the 2v falls on it's face after 75mph...

But with the Mark VIII the DOHC shines up top..

this is simply an untrue statement, nothing more, nothing less.

care to place a friendly wager?

I'll bet you dont pick up more than 20MPH between the 1/8th and the 1/4.

i'd take my 93 but i havent had the car long enough to make sure everything is kosher with it lol!

You really should just take it down there and get some baseline runs.

It's not gonna hurt the car, you drive it harder and longer on the freeway.

and 1/8th mile pass is going to end at about 75-78MPH so you probably wont even make it into 3rd gear.

dont be skurred!!!

I have to agree the top end is just a ride but its exciting when your really racing. Most marks will only pick up around 20 mph after the 1/8.

I'll take that bet XLR if you still interested?:shifty:

Well XLR you definitely have more knowledge than me on Marks so I'm not trying to call you out on that.

What I'm saying is this...

My 2v almost fully bolted on GT was an animal out of the hole. I beat a CTS-V, C5 vette vert, Turbo G35, LS1 Z28 with intake and I tore into a 96 Cobra. I also barely got nosed out by a 98 Cobra with full bolt ons and 4.10 gears.

The same result happened everytime in those races. I would eat them alive out of the hole and they had to play catch up. by 75-80mph they would be even with me and after 80mph would start losing me.

That's when I started (for my own ego ;) ) started to only race people to 75mph knowing I would win. So I guess you can say I rigged the races, but all of those cars fell victim to my ride under the parameters set before.

Btw, I want to note when I say they would lose me after that is my own speculation because of how fast they would be gaining on me. They never actually passed me because the race would be over at 75-80mph and I would stop then, so they never got the chance to pass me (well the 98 Cobra did, but no one else).

I considered trading in my 03 GT for a 03 Mach 1. When I took it out for a test drive I noticed it was MUCH slower coming out of the hole, but was stronger in the upper RPM's. If a car is stronger in the upper RPM's that means it will be stronger in the 1/4 mile than the 1/8th mile because the extra track gives it time to sit in the upper RPM's (where it is stronger) longer.

GT has a 2v
Mach 1 has a 4v similar to our cars

So what this means is if the Mach 1 would be more beneficial with a longer track, then most definitely a Mark VIII with extra weight would benefit.

Sunshine Raceway

Anyone interested in hitting the track on Wednesday Jan 6th? Sunshine dragstrip in Clearwater Florida. Before I do anything else to my car I want to see what it does.

Sunshine is only an 1/8th mile track. I don't feel like going to Bradenton now because I can't get anyone to go there. It's close to me, but an extra hour drive for everyone I know so I'm stuck with the 1/8th mile track.

I'd love some competition... especially from and LS or a Caddy. But any competition will do just fine :D

I am aware of the location of Sunshine Dragstrip, what time of day/evening do the races start. 582boat tinossip2@yahoo.com

I considered trading in my 03 GT for a 03 Mach 1. When I took it out for a test drive I noticed it was MUCH slower coming out of the hole, but was stronger in the upper RPM's. If a car is stronger in the upper RPM's that means it will be stronger in the 1/4 mile than the 1/8th mile because the extra track gives it time to sit in the upper RPM's (where it is stronger) longer.

GT has a 2v
Mach 1 has a 4v similar to our cars

So what this means is if the Mach 1 would be more beneficial with a longer track, then most definitely a Mark VIII with extra weight would benefit.

Your making alot of false assumptions based on flawed information.
the 03 mach 1 out ran the 03 gt not because it had a simillar engine to ours

the mach 1 our ran the gt because the mach 1 had more horsepower in a vehicle with similar weight.

there is about a big hp difference between the mach and the gt.

you also talk like the mach1 is slow out of the hole, and i can assure you the 60' times of the two cars is very very close.

stop drawing conclusions from the opposite end of the spectrum in an attempt to make your false conclusions seem accurate.

with that said..

GO RUN THE CAR
get some experience and useful data.

a "tip":
dont set yourself up fot disapointment, dont try to set a "goal et".
just go, run the car, be happy to make some passes.
"chasing numbers" can be a frustrating experience, dont go there

Well XLR you definitely have more knowledge than me on Marks so I'm not trying to call you out on that.

My 2v almost fully bolted on GT was an animal out of the hole. I beat a CTS-V, C5 vette vert, Turbo G35, LS1 Z28 with intake and I tore into a 96 Cobra. I also barely got nosed out by a 98 Cobra with full bolt ons and 4.10 gears.

The same result happened everytime in those races. I would eat them alive out of the hole and they had to play catch up. by 75-80mph they would be even with me and after 80mph would start losing me.

That's when I started (for my own ego ;) ) started to only race people to 75mph knowing I would win. So I guess you can say I rigged the races, but all of those cars fell victim to my ride under the parameters set before.

Btw, I want to note when I say they would lose me after that is my own speculation because of how fast they would be gaining on me. They never actually passed me because the race would be over at 75-80mph and I would stop then, so they never got the chance to pass me (well the 98 Cobra did, but no one else).

Ok you talked all these drivers into a "race" that "ends" at 75 MPH?

how can that be?

if both cars race to 75MPH how can anyone pass anyone?

That sounds more like the OH so typical following scenario.

it's a street race, and you "launched" on some unsuspecting more powerful car, who cant just "stand on it" out of the hole because their car actually MAKES SOME POWER.

Then.... in typical chickshyt street racing BS as the "superior car" starts to show it's muscle, and before chickenshyt street racer can be passed up..he hits the brakes and ends the race.

Why puss out?

the faster car should win and you shouldn't pull the rug out from under them just because their car is faster than yours

You had "balls enough" to begin the race, you might as well atleast be a man and let the faster car win.

AFTER ALL they did "entertain" your little "race"..very uncool way to thank them if you ask me.

I got beat by a saturn with nitrous and I aint too proud to say it.
I even asked the kid to "do it again" because it was so damned funny and the spectators enjoyed it so much.

It AINT ALWAYS about winning...and as a budding wannabe lawyer you should know that.

..cant win em all scooter.

What your trying to say that because it's a mark 8, it takes a difference?

please dont pigeonhole me like that

I've only been driving mark 8's for 10 years and about a half a million miles, and about 1150 WOT miles on the dragstrip.

that is a very small amount of my experience over the last 40 or so years, 25 of which was behind the wheel of (insert your favorite mustang) because I have almost driven/raced/owned them all.

I've got about 6 million mustang miles...

so dont think that just because I currently drive a mark 8 that I haven't "been there and done that" many times over in many many other kinds of cars.

I've picked up the same 20MPH in lincolns, chevy's and AKC mustang you can think of.

"stick to lawyerin'" and leave the racing to the big boys who dont talk about :q:q:q:q they dont know about"

..and for the love of god, please stop posting BS BAD information like you spewed above.

some kid is gonna read that crap and begin posting it all over the internet like it's gospel!

Last edited:
I am aware of the location of Sunshine Dragstrip, what time of day/evening do the races start. 582boat tinossip2@yahoo.com

Time is 6pm till 10:30pm. I'll be their at about 7pm in my gray lincoln with octastars.

Your making alot of false assumptions based on flawed information.
the 03 mach 1 out ran the 03 gt not because it had a simillar engine to ours

the mach 1 our ran the gt because the mach 1 had more horsepower in a vehicle with similar weight.

there is about a big hp difference between the mach and the gt.

you also talk like the mach1 is slow out of the hole, and i can assure you the 60' times of the two cars is very very close.

stop drawing conclusions from the opposite end of the spectrum in an attempt to make your false conclusions seem accurate.

with that said..

GO RUN THE CAR
get some experience and useful data.

a "tip":
dont set yourself up fot disapointment, dont try to set a "goal et".
just go, run the car, be happy to make some passes.
"chasing numbers" can be a frustrating experience, dont go there

What your trying to say that because it's a mark 8, it takes a difference?

please dont pigeonhole me like that

I've only been driving mark 8's for 10 years and about a half a million miles, and about 1150 WOT miles on the dragstrip.

that is a very small amount of my experience over the last 40 or so years, 25 of which was behind the wheel of (insert your favorite mustang) because I have almost driven/raced/owned them all.

I've got about 6 million mustang miles...

so dont think that just because I currently drive a mark 8 that I haven't "been there and done that" many times over in many many other kinds of cars.

I've picked up the same 20MPH in lincolns, chevy's and AKC mustang you can think of.

"stick to lawyerin'" and leave the racing to the big boys who dont talk about :q:q:q:q they dont know about"

..and for the love of god, please stop posting BS BAD information like you spewed above.

some kid is gonna read that crap and begin posting it all over the internet like it's gospel!

XLR man you need to stop being so damn defensive man. I wasn't trying to pigeonhole you whatsoever. I actually was trying to compliment you and NOT step on your toes, but of course you had to turn it into a bashing session and however me becoming a lawyer has anything to do with this is beyond me. Anyway.....

As for my races first thing I don't do is roll race, because roll racing is for posers! Secondly I only race from a light, and only if the driver knowingly acknowledges we're going on green. 9 times out of 10 I'll ask them if they want to run. When I had the stang it always had the top down so it's not like I had to roll down the windows. If they said yes, I would tell them I race to 75 mph and that's when I quit.

More than half of those races I mentioned I raced those guys at multiple lights because they couldn't believe they lost to a GT. So we would go again with the same rules.

So you trying to make my racing seem like "ricer" tactics is a real ignorant move on your part.

Next maybe you weren't clued in by my sig their oh analytical one...but my GT wasn't stock it had 271 WHEEL hp and 311 WHEEL tq. That translates to 311hp & 357tq at the flywheel (assuming the standard 15% drivetrain loss via a manual tremec 3650). Being that the Mach 1 had 305hp & 320tq at the flywheel it absolutely DID NOT HAVE MORE HORSEPOWER THAN MY GT!

So my statements weren't false and I didn't just post BS. What I posted was fact and being that my car had more hp it should have felt faster up top but it did not because it flows differently.

I think this is the part where you open your mouth and insert your foot. But are you man enough to admit you made a mistake is the real question?

Oh and to be clear about the 75mph thing...

I said I race to 75mph...hence when my car reaches 75mph I stop. I have no clue what the other car was at when I stopped.

Btw, me racing to 75mph isn't really an uncool thing because that is about an 1/8th mile run. Maybe people like you think it's cool to do triple digit runs on public roads but not me. The streets I ran on had 55-60mph speed limits. 20mph isn't that harsh of a ticket... 100mph+ is automatic jail in Florida. Maybe some people find the thought of getting pounded in the azz an intriguing concept, but I sure as hell don't so I have my limits.

Regardless how did my post about asking people if they were interested in drag racing this Wednesday turn into your little rant session?

Regardless how did my post about asking people if they were interested in drag racing this Wednesday turn into your little rant session?

because you started talking like your "stuck" with only an 1/8th mile track.

I just pointed out that 90% of your acceleration happens in the first 660' not the last 660 feet...then you wanted to debate with me about two different cars and draw some BS conclusion, based on flawed perceptions.

Then you started spewing "ricer racing tactics", talking about illegal and dangerous and STUPID street racing.

This isn't the part of the story where I apologize, this is the part of the story where i "stand behind my statements" 100%.

Dont be a street racing RICER t00lbag....

If you weren't so hell bent on being "offended" you would see I was actually giving you good accurate information based on THOUSANDS of miles of WOT experience.

If your so easily offended when someone doesnt "sing along with you" you really shouldn't be a lawyer.. IMHO

Members online

No members online now.
Back