Transmission rebuild and still having issues

Didn't see that coming. :confused:
I can't say I did either and the reason I did not mention it is because I thought it was a complete waste of time considering my old MAF looked brand new and was clean as new. The one reason I decided to give it a shot was because I did not see the markings FoMo on the one on my car. It did look like OEM as it had OEM part numbers engraved into it but I was questioning if it was legit or not if anything being it was missing that one marking. Maybe it was a fake or something is all I can think being how clean the dang thing looked.

Hey Dale,
I feel your pain on this..
I'm not a Transmission guy at all!
If you found the problem great!!!

I couldn't respond to the earlier threads while I was driving... I didn't know if the verbiage in my 2005 LS Owner's Manual (Page 234) had anything to do with it or not in summary " This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Shit Strategy. When the battery is disconnected for any type of service / repair the transmission will need to relearn these operating parameters. This learning process could take several transmission upshifts / downshifts during the learning process, slightly firmer shits may occur. After this learning process, normal shift feel and shift scheduling will resume"

I don't who designed these cars.. It's like it was done in silos.. e.g. one group didn't know what the other was working on and at the end they built temporary integration hot fixes to resolve the issues to move the product out the door!

Hmm now that you mention that when I was picking my car up the very first time they were rehooking my battery back up and I got my car back right after that. I have put 800 miles on the car roughly since I got it back. Maybe that was part of it but I would have thought the learning process would not have taken that long. If I get any more funkiness I think I will reset the transmission adaptive tables and take it for a learning drive. But thanks for the info!

Hey Dale,
I feel your pain on this..
I'm not a Transmission guy at all!
If you found the problem great!!!

I couldn't respond to the earlier threads while I was driving... I didn't know if the verbiage in my 2005 LS Owner's Manual (Page 234) had anything to do with it or not in summary " This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Shit Strategy. When the battery is disconnected for any type of service / repair the transmission will need to relearn these operating parameters. This learning process could take several transmission upshifts / downshifts during the learning process, slightly firmer shits may occur. After this learning process, normal shift feel and shift scheduling will resume"

I don't who designed these cars.. It's like it was done in silos.. e.g. one group didn't know what the other was working on and at the end they built temporary integration hot fixes to resolve the issues to move the product out the door!

My 2013 f350 has that too, I think it's fairly common, you have to drive normal for like 500 miles after you change the battery if it's dead for a while or reprogram the transmission otherwise it does some pretty funky things. I put a new tune on my transmission and went out and drove like a hoonigan and it got stuck in fifth gear and I had to tune it again on the side of the highway, lol

Yeah I don't know Dale. Seems like any time I disconnected the battery... it only took 3 days of typical driving for the "re-learn".
Yeah, that is why I don't think it was all a learning process for my issue but then again stranger things have happened! I can say also before changing the MAF I was getting a lot worse MPG and the computer changed quickly on that tonight with my 30 miles or more trip. It went up without resting anything at least 9 mpg better than the last time I was driving. I know you can't depend on that info on the cluster but I did notice it read everything better.

Also, I noticed lower RPM's in general when in overdrive and driving at a set speed. If somehow I end up still having issues with the transmission I say that I did have a borderline MAF sensor that was approaching failure. I now think the next thing on my list to do is change all the COP's and spark plugs that I had sitting in the box for my last LS that are brand new OEM and I think I will be set for a while other than the dang turn signal code I have. And I think I noticed the issue on that as I decided to test my Hazard lights and they did not work. I am going to check all the fuses tomorrow just to be sure there is not any blown fuses.

Yeah, didn't think of that. My 2001 Ranger once started shifting very badly. I thought I was in for a rebuild there. Then, the check engine light popped up, and we then realized that we forgot to plug the MAF back in after doing some work. Plugging the MAF in fixed it.

Drove it today for at least 35 more miles and still no more issues and it was very rainy out today! Sorry for the video quality as I need to get a newer smartphone! But here are two quick videos of the RPM's as she shifts gears. As you can see no more jumping up on RPM's and really good shifting.

I remember now why I like these cars so much! Felt so good to drive even in the dang rain! I can't wait till it's dry out and then I will have a little bit of fun with that Gas pedal!

Call me crazy and maybe a little OCD but I will be changing that transmission fluid at around 5,000 from the rebuild and likely every 20K miles from then on. I am going to make sure that fluid is always nice a new looking and this transmission will last me many years to come.

I remember now why I like these cars so much! Felt so good to drive even in the dang rain! I can't wait till it's dry out and then I will have a little bit of fun with that Gas pedal!

Call me crazy and maybe a little OCD but I will be changing that transmission fluid at around 5,000 from the rebuild and likely every 20K miles from then on. I am going to make sure that fluid is always nice a new looking and this transmission will last me many years to come.
I LOVE driving in the rain its seems so calming and the LS for some reason just seems like the exhaust is louder in the rain. I never had any issues pushing it to its extremes in the rain it always seems to have the equivalent of dry pavement grip in the rain.

Yeah I was kinda mad when I first bought this car cause I was gonna fix something simple and flip it after a month or two but it needs more work than it's worth. However the more I drive it the more I like it so I think I'm gonna fix it up and keep it instead. I've only driven trucks for the last 20 years or so, kinda hooked on this car now, just wish it had more hp cause my truck has more than double of this car, car is still pretty quick though. Can't wait to drive it with new suspension.

I LOVE driving in the rain its seems so calming and the LS for some reason just seems like the exhaust is louder in the rain. I never had any issues pushing it to its extremes in the rain it always seems to have the equivalent of dry pavement grip in the rain.
Depends where you live, in North Dakota for example we don't even slow down for rain cause it's not a factor, but in Nevada when it rains the roads are like ice cause it rarely rains and all the oil comes up or something, it's crazy, night and day difference in the rainy road conditions though!

Depends where you live, in North Dakota for example we don't even slow down for rain cause it's not a factor, but in Nevada when it rains the roads are like ice cause it rarely rains and all the oil comes up or something, it's crazy, night and day difference in the rainy road conditions though!
Ya I'm in MN so we get lots of wet roads all year round.

Yeah I was kinda mad when I first bought this car cause I was gonna fix something simple and flip it after a month or two but it needs more work than it's worth. However the more I drive it the more I like it so I think I'm gonna fix it up and keep it instead. I've only driven trucks for the last 20 years or so, kinda hooked on this car now, just wish it had more hp cause my truck has more than double of this car, car is still pretty quick though. Can't wait to drive it with new suspension.
You're experiencing the double wishbone suspension that makes this Sedan so fun to drive

I use the CRC cleaners when needed. I live in Houston where humidity is high.
DaleGrib what tires do you run?

Screenshot_20210217-095139_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20210217-092846_Brave.jpg

Do you use a dry or oil gauze air filter?
OEM Filter is all I have ever used on it and it had an OEM one when I bought it so I assume the previous owner used the same. The old sensor was not even really dirty when I cleaned it as the previous owner seems to have taken really good care of everything.

I've read the oil gauze type may contaminate or coat the map wires causing erroneous readings also, I've learned 15k miles is the max life even though the filter may appear clean

I've read the oil gauze type may contaminate or coat the map wires causing erroneous readings also, I've learned 15k miles is the max life even though the filter may appear clean
I change my filters often so that has never been a problem for me. I just think the age took its toll on the old sensor as it does most things. The car was not even detailed when I bought it so I got a pretty good idea of the previous owner's care on the car. Plus I had an Oasis Report pulled by someone and they told me it had been well taken care of by the previous owner.

DaleGrib what tire do you use? I use Michelins Defenders rear and A/S Sport 3 front. Only issue is when the fronts are half worn, the traction is reduced above 65-70 mph.

DaleGrib what tire do you use? I use Michelins Defenders rear and A/S Sport 3 front. Only issue is when the fronts are half worn, the traction is reduced above 65-70 mph.
235/50ZR-17 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
I got mine from tirerack before but it seems they no longer stock the set I bought. But samsclub may stock them.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/235-50zr17-96ypsas3-45000/prod20090670

Also, I had bought these tires for my 2001 Lincoln LS and had them on it for less than 1,000 miles and had them swapped over to my 2003 LS before I sold my 2001 LS. But couldn't let them tires go considering how much they cost new in general! The tires on the 2003 LS were not bad when I got the car but they were not Michelins by any means!

Mixing tires is never a good practice. The LS has a nearly 50/50 weight bias front to rear. Run 4 same tires on it.

You proved my point already when you said. "Only issue is when the fronts are half worn, the traction is reduced above 65-70 mph."

Members online

No members online now.
Back