Overpriced By Only $4000

It was a particular combination of options labeled as "ultimate" that was available on some years. The wheels are the easiest give a way that it is an ultimate.

I'd say with only 74K miles it is only a three thousand or less overpriced,unless it has some flaws? don-ohio

I'd say with only 74K miles it is only a three thousand or less overpriced,unless it has some flaws? don-ohio

The car value websites don't list it at any more than $6000. These are the websites dealers will use when figuring your trade-in but not when reselling your car. My guess is that it was traded in and the seller got no more than $3500.

Yeah...might be,BUT I went to my credit union on this 03 in IMMACULATE shape with 65K miles and they said 6100 loan value. It really comes down to what shape it's in and how it was cared for. don-ohio
The car value websites don't list it at any more than $6000. These are the websites dealers will use when figuring your trade-in but not when reselling your car. My guess is that it was traded in and the seller got no more than $3500.

Lets all contact the seller and let them know it is way overpriced. Perhaps after 10 or 20 of us chastise him, the seller will sell it for a realistic price.

I had no idea that an 'Ultimate' edition even existed.....

its basically like a mix between a sport exterior (painted, not chrome bumpers) and the wood grain interior parts instead of leather. (not the only differences)

My '06 was an Ultimate. It was a package on top of the Premium package. My wife's LS is a Premium......

the question is, could you get an Ultimate without one of the options? because I feel like if you could, the name is lying...

...your going to give yourself an ulcer worrying about every "overpriced" ls across the country. Who cares what they listed it for? its "list" price is just a game they play. AND even if its not, they have every right to ask whatever they want for it... No law that says IT MUST SELL for what KBB says! maybe the dealer went a little upside down on it to help with another deal... bottom line, if your not interested, move on (as will many). But its certainly not "wrong" for an american company to get the most they can for an item they're selling. Are they suppose to break even on every car deal they sell?!?!? THEY KNOW what market value is, but if they list it at that, every joe blow will come in trying to take another couple grand off (because everyone MUST have a deal or they're walking)...

at this point almost every LS is a sub 10k car... after that its really splitting hairs on price in grand scheme of things. specially in a dealers eyes... but every dollar they make counts in smaller dealers like this (assumption) ....

Rant over.

tijoe i'm hoping that was sarcasm...

Understand, it's at a Buy-Here-Pay-Here lot. They can get away with overpricing it because their buyers have lousy credit and can't get a car any other way. They sweeten the deal by telling you it's 0% interest but the interest is built into the price. And the interest is HIGH.

its "list" price is just a game they play. [...] maybe the dealer went a little upside down on it to help with another deal... [...] but if they list it at that, every joe blow will come in trying to take another couple grand off (because everyone MUST have a deal or they're walking)...

tijoe i'm hoping that was sarcasm...

I believe tijoe can have the same dry, blunt streak of humor joegr can have.

Anyway, I've said it before, I'll say it again. Everyone wants a deal. Everyone wants to feel like they beat the dealer. Every LS enthusiast knows this is overpriced. Joe Blow does come in, and often, to try to work a deal on this LS, fully knowing it's overpriced. They list it at 10k. JB knows it's worth 6k, at best. JB and the dealer chip away at the price for 2 hours. A couple hundred here, a full grand there, another couple chunks of hundreds, throw in a couple of oil changes. They spend a long time haggling and finally, JB thinks he's finally knocked enough off to justify the cost and he's happy to drive out of the dealership for "only" 7500. Not because he paid 1500 over KBB, but because he knocked 2500 off sticker. At that point, it's not the dealer's fault JB overpaid. JB knew better but still took the deal because he felt he beat the system. Meanwhile, the dealer didn't pay over 4k.

I doubt any profitable dealer would go upside down on any deal, outside of those special "family member" deals.

Understand, it's at a Buy-Here-Pay-Here lot. They can get away with overpricing it because their buyers have lousy credit and can't get a car any other way.

That too. They have $500 to spend on a car right now. There's not enough swag in a 92 Civic for that money and they can't get any respectable loan at a normal dealer. This Lincoln LS Ultimate, on the other hand, can be had for 500 down and some monthly payments. "I can do that". And then there's the debt cycle and overwhelming feeling. If you have $60k in debt, whats another couple grand? At least they'll be happier in debt.

Everywhere you look, there is a scheme to play. Someone, somewhere, will always take advantage of the weak.

.....Someone, somewhere, will always take advantage of the weak.

agreed, although i'm more of the mindset ...the "weak" are weak because they choose to be, not because someone made them. in your scenario a civic is a great option! (as your pointing out).

Weakness is a product of themselves, not their environment.

NOW should there be business that exploit this mindset? no. But is we want that gone from society, we must eliminate their opportunity to do so.

In the last 5 years, I have bought 4 cars - paying no more than 60% of the asking price. Cash talks, suckers finance and pay full retail.

I wrote with some sarcasm. ;)

There was a car with lower mileage for its age I wanted to purchase, that I found on listed on AutoTrader. I offered the guy a little above the KBB Dealer Retail. (About $3k less than he was asking.) I kept pestering him for 4 month. Then I had many friends around the US give the guy a call and try to negotiate the price. He wouldn’t lower his price for anyone. After he had the car listed for 6 months, I sent him a spreadsheet detailing how he could have sold me the car for my asking price and have been ahead in the long run. He didn’t bite. On month 7, he claimed he sold the car, but wouldn’t tell me the sales price. 2 months later, I found basically the same car for sale with 20K more miles with all the options I wanted, for $3k less than I was willing to buy the first car. (About half the first car’s asking price.)

If you are not in a rush to make a purchase, the right car will come along at the price you are willing to pay. Car lots and dealers play off your emotions and desires to try to get as much money out of you as possible. It is the American way.

Used car dealers do not subscribe to the golden rule of retail: It is better to sell 1,000 widgets for $10 each than it is to sell 500 widgets for $20. I think every used car dealer out there will sit on a car and not make $500 before they sell it to make $600.

I wrote with some sarcasm. ;)

There was a car with lower mileage for its age I wanted to purchase, that I found on listed on AutoTrader. I offered the guy a little above the KBB Dealer Retail. (About $3k less than he was asking.) I kept pestering him for 4 month. Then I had many friends around the US give the guy a call and try to negotiate the price. He wouldn’t lower his price for anyone. After he had the car listed for 6 months, I sent him a spreadsheet detailing how he could have sold me the car for my asking price and have been ahead in the long run. He didn’t bite. On month 7, he claimed he sold the car, but wouldn’t tell me the sales price. 2 months later, I found basically the same car for sale with 20K more miles with all the options I wanted, for $3k less than I was willing to buy the first car. (About half the first car’s asking price.)

If you are not in a rush to make a purchase, the right car will come along at the price you are willing to pay. Car lots and dealers play off your emotions and desires to try to get as much money out of you as possible. It is the American way.

Seems a bit weird but maybe.. just maybe...after 6-7 months of being dicked around by low ball offers from you and your buddies he might have just decided to not want to sell it that way?

Seems a bit weird but maybe.. just maybe...after 6-7 months of being dicked around by low ball offers from you and your buddies he might have just decided to not want to sell it that way?

No, All2Cool's and LSFrank's comments are much more realistic. Used car salesmen often over-price unique or less common cars and sell them to uninformed buyers.

In the case of the car I was looking for, this particular overpriced car was discussed on another forum and consensus was it was way over priced. It became clear over time that this particular dealer was willing to hold onto the car until he found a buyer either willing to pay a premium or was suckered into the sale by smooth talking. Similar to Don-Ohio my bank would only give a loan close to what I offered for the car.
My friends and associates who called all know how to play it cool. None of them "low balled" the seller.

One other thing about this car is the dealer/seller didn't have any of the car's service history, and the Carfax records indicated it had been sold at auction 2 months before I first saw it for sale. It was purchased in Florida and the seller was north of Long island. The seller couldn't answer any of the specific questions I asked.

You might've been better off in the long run,missing out on that one, TIJoe. Mine happened to be a one owner in great shape,never seen snow,garaged,etc. and I was tickled pink to get it for 6500 bucks,a deluxe model with only 65,000 miles on it.
Really nice to know the car's history. don-ohio :)^)

You might've been better off in the long run,missing out on that one, TIJoe. Mine happened to be a one owner in great shape,never seen snow,garaged,etc. and I was tickled pink to get it for 6500 bucks,a deluxe model with only 65,000 miles on it.
Really nice to know the car's history. don-ohio :)^)

I am almost certain that mine was a 2-owner car that was in the same family. The dealer wanted $4500 but took my $2500 in cash. I only paid that as the car came with a receipt for $3700 in service done just 3000 miles ago. Had there been no service receipt - I'd have passed.

LS_Service_SM.jpg

If you got a car anywhere near as nice as mine for 2500,you robbed the dealer.Only ones I've seen that ever come cheap with low miles have been salvage titles or body damaged.I'm glad for you if you got a great deal,but you're not gonna come onto those very often. don-ohio :)^)

If you got a car anywhere near as nice as mine for 2500,you robbed the dealer.Only ones I've seen that ever come cheap with low miles have been salvage titles or body damaged.I'm glad for you if you got a great deal,but you're not gonna come onto those very often. don-ohio :)^)

If you gave my LS the once over, you would guess the mileage at 40,000 or less. It was a garage kept, dealer serviced LS - and just turned 150,000 miles.

http://www.motorcarriageservice.com/LS6/LS_Index.htm

Yeah,that's nice,but that wasn't what I was needing.
I'm replacing an LS in very good condition with 134K miles,so I expected to pay for the low miles and pristine condition. There are a lot of nice-looking LSes out there,but the cheap ones USUALLY have either high miles,salvage titles,or flaws. don-ohio :)^)

It's not just dealers either. Realistically, if you want to sell a car for $4,000, ask $5950 or something ignorant. That way the buyer feels like they are getting up on you, and you can be happy getting the money you anticipated. Noone lists anything for the price they intend to sell for.

rule #1 never ask what you actually want to get...

rule #2 never pay what somebody is originally asking.

it a dance, they go high, I go low. when done, we meet in the middle.

Members online

Back