Aftermarket Alarm

KStromberg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So what is all involved in putting an aftermarket alarm system in a Gen 2 Mark VIII that already has the PATS system? Long story short, I just put the car cover on the 97 in my secured parking garage(detached building from my apartment that fits about 30 cars) on Sunday and it was stolen by Tuesday. So for now, I have been forced to put it in storage elsewhere as I am uncertain of the people around here. :shifty: I have a REALLY bad gut feeling of what will happen next. The car screams for attention and it has probably $800 worth of stereo equipment in it. The car will be destroyed if someone tries ripping that out of there.

So here's my idea, I had an aftermarket Viper alarm system on my old Town Car that had a remote paging system that would give me an alert tone on the remote if the alarm was tripped. I want an alarm just like that because I am within close enough proximity to the garage that this would be effective. (That alarm clock that will wake me up and have me running towards the car). This would work well because if I have the car out of storage and on-site here, I would be by it all the time. If I'm not driving it, the car won't be here and no one can mess with it. Thoughts?

They have PATS bypass systems on ebay for $20 all day long. Now these bypasses claim to still retail the security of the alarm, all it does is allow you to remote start your car.

I think they just have you hide a key somewhere under the dash so the PATS system gets the signal from the 2nd key, but don't quote me on that because I've never installed one.

Which also makes your car more vulnerable to actually being stolen... if there's not a key in range of the pats, that car isn't starting .

Which also makes your car more vulnerable to actually being stolen... if there's not a key in range of the pats, that car isn't starting .

That's the part I don't get. How can they claim it doesn't jeopardize the system in any way? Seems to me it REALLY makes the car vulnerable! :eek:

Same way The Whistler claims to give your car a Turbo effect... all lies

The only way I'd put an aftermarket alarm system on my car is if I could command Shut Off with my phone, that's when it'd be cool to have a remote drive feature, or a laughing gas bottle in the trunk. Someone would wake up missing their hands

My main concern is someone breaking into the car regardless of the PATS. Someone who isn't necessarily after the car itself but what is in the car and will damage things in the process while the horn is going off. I want glass and door triggers with the remote alert function that way I know something is going on at the exact moment it is taking place. I have a long stride and if I ran out of my apartment, I could be to the car in 30 seconds. LOL PATS up against most backyard thieves will keep my car in one spot and not allow them to steal the car, but it won't let me know if they are ripping the car apart in just under 3 minutes and doing hundreds of dollars worth of damage. This is why I would like an aftermarket alarm.

There are some brave thieves out there, and a little noise won't deter them but rather make their heist even quicker, more sloppy and damaging. Now that may all change if they hear my footsteps coming. And I may or may not carry weapons. :shifty:

Or stealing the coke your keeping for your old man in the trunk because your not a likely suspect

Car Thief VS. Two Junkyard Dogs - YouTube

I hate a thief about as much as I hate rapist and child abusers. Our country is way too soft, liberals have ruined morals. Take a look at Singapore's crime rate lol
A friend of mine had her car broken into during a party, car was parked on the front sidewalk not 5ft directly in front of the front door, that guy actually took the time to unscrew the porch light, some people are way too brave combined with way too stupid, for that- there's Kimber

kirk, for what you want, PATS won't be a problem. PATS is a problem when you do remote start. but it shouldn't interfere with an alarm system.

you can also get glass break triggers and what not and tie that into the factory alarm, but you're going bigger than that.

If not being driven for about 4 to 5 months, put it in storage on 4 jack stands. I'd even keep mine in a temp controlled environment. Peace of mind all the way around and maybe even a spot to hit on the weekends to go inside and wax on it or w/e.

Car cover first, a good keying next, stereo being half ripped out next could cost way more than storage. At least you'll be able to sleep at night.

Kirk, by the time you get to the car the damage to the car is done. How about when you are not at home and 5 miles away? The horn can be silenced but it wioll be ignored by everyone but you. How many times have you heard a car alarm going off for 5 minutes? What did you do, run around and try to find out what set it off? Most alarms are now ignored because they were a fad and the only one that cares about it is the owner of said vehicle.

I agree with Terry, the cost of secure storage where thier insurance would take the hit or just that they have better security is worth the peace of mind. Spend the money there.

I spend $800.00 a year for secure storage for the Mark and $3000.00 a year for non secure storage for my other projects and toys all worth it in my mind.

Maybe a neighbor close by would rent you their garage cheap. I had several neighbors in my old neighborhood that didn't have cars. They took $50/month. I also had a storage unit for $150/month. Lock it up. No one knows what's in it. It would be an absolute tragedy for ANYTHING to happen to that beautiful car. Congrats on the purchase by the way.

A secure locked garage -2 guard dogs w/bullet proof vests.

Window sticker.jpg

Yeah, when you have busted your ass to make an investment like that, do what you have to do to keep it out of hands reach of others. There are these people out there that are called "haters" and they tend to scratch up paint jobs, puncture tires, etc...

Not sure what you pay in rent for your apartment but if stealing car covers is already happening where you are, there is likely more to come. Might want to consider finding a fairly cheap 2 BR home with an attached or detached garage to rent. That way, you know your investment is inside the home with you or just right out back behind your house.

Like Rich mentioned, maybe you have friends close by that would rent you some garage space. Never hurts to ask. I know storage can be high priced, depending on the size and location and if it's temp controlled.... but sleeping at night is worth a lot too. This coming Spring and Summer, that car is going to be your pride and joy and for years to come. Do what it takes to make it JUST that this coming Spring. If you have to quit smoking (if you do), then quit to compensate for storage cost. Storage really shouldn't be that outrageous anyway. Just have to call around and check on prices in different areas. Being gated and secured with cameras wouldn't really be a priority to me. Just knowing it has block walls on both sides and a closed and locked door in the front would make me feel better at night.

Yeah, when you have busted your ass to make an investment like that, do what you have to do to keep it out of hands reach of others. There are these people out there that are called "haters" and they tend to scratch up paint jobs, puncture tires, etc...

Not sure what you pay in rent for your apartment but if stealing car covers is already happening where you are, there is likely more to come. Might want to consider finding a fairly cheap 2 BR home with an attached or detached garage to rent. That way, you know your investment is inside the home with you or just right out back behind your house.

Like Rich mentioned, maybe you have friends close by that would rent you some garage space. Never hurts to ask. I know storage can be high priced, depending on the size and location and if it's temp controlled.... but sleeping at night is worth a lot too. This coming Spring and Summer, that car is going to be your pride and joy and for years to come. Do what it takes to make it JUST that this coming Spring. If you have to quit smoking (if you do), then quit to compensate for storage cost. Storage really shouldn't be that outrageous anyway. Just have to call around and check on prices in different areas. Being gated and secured with cameras wouldn't really be a priority to me. Just knowing it has block walls on both sides and a closed and locked door in the front would make me feel better at night.

Exactly what he said. Let's say you pay 800 for your apartment + $150 for a storage unit? That's $950... Maybe you can find yourself a nice house for $1,000 & your car will be with you at all times.

I don't have a garage in my house but I have a nice carport I purchased + a car cover. Car stays dry all the time & it's in my back yard away from thieves.

Fordnut has hooked me up! :D

I will still be getting an aftermarket alarm sometime in the future. I will attempt ti get it to its safer location this weekend.

Car Thief VS. Two Junkyard Dogs - YouTube

I hate a thief about as much as I hate rapist and child abusers. Our country is way too soft, liberals have ruined morals. Take a look at Singapore's crime rate lol
A friend of mine had her car broken into during a party, car was parked on the front sidewalk not 5ft directly in front of the front door, that guy actually took the time to unscrew the porch light, some people are way too brave combined with way too stupid, for that- there's Kimber

what really pissed me off the most is the ***git ass cops shot the dogs. if i was the owner id probably be dead because i probably would of shot the cops out of pyscotic rage for killing my doggies

DroneMobile from Compustar is really cool, you use your phone as the remote, has gps tracking etc :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back