Lincoln LS 302

I would think your about right on the HP for your engine build...maybe a bit optimistic. As long as you realize that you are going through all of this trouble ultimately to gain only a handful of horsepower at the wheels, more power to ya!

All the more reason to go 427! :D

With enough effort, any one of them could be made to fit an LS engine compartment!
I'd pay five bucks to see an FE-powered LS. The Windsors are fairly compact engines, but I'm not sure you could stuff an FE in an LS's engine bay without having to relocate the suspension mount points. That, and you'd need the springs off a SuperDuty to handle the weight....:D

And dwiggy, best of luck on the swap!

All the more reason to go 427! :D
If I were made of money, I'd be looking at one of the new Coyote 5.0s; Ford sells them with a stand-alone controller, which would simplify matters greatly (as long as you could get the LS's PCM to ignore all the missing powertrain sensors :D ).

I'd pay five bucks to see an FE-powered LS. The Windsors are fairly compact engines, but I'm not sure you could stuff an FE in an LS's engine bay without having to relocate the suspension mount points. That, and you'd need the springs off a SuperDuty to handle the weight....:D

Just as a side-note, an FE engine with aluminium heads and intake manifold weighs less than an all-iron 351.;)

KS

I would think your about right on the HP for your engine build...maybe a bit optimistic. As long as you realize that you are going through all of this trouble ultimately to gain only a handful of horsepower at the wheels, more power to ya!

Manual transmission, SBF engine first.

More power later.

Thanks Sooner.

My dad has an FE powered, mostly fiberglass, Falcon in his garage. I really like that engine minus the weight.

This is AWESOME and I will be watching this thread closely!!
Hats off to you!

Alright.. I'll be that guy again.

Why dont more people use the 4.6 when they want to mod their LS into more of a sporty "real V8" a car? There are LOTS of them +lots of aftermarket available, and more than a few LS's with bad motors.

Alright.. I'll be that guy again.

Why dont more people use the 4.6 when they want to mod their LS into more of a sporty "real V8" a car? There are LOTS of them +lots of aftermarket available, and more than a few LS's with bad motors.

Size. The 4.6L is very wide. Look in the LS engine compartment, and you'll notice there really is no room for something wider.

Size. The 4.6L is very wide. Look in the LS engine compartment, and you'll notice there really is no room for something wider.
The 4.6 DOHC will fit, it just has to be top-loaded (which is a no-go on the assembly line, thus its absence from the DEW98s). I think the main reason most people don't do that conversion is the electronics; dealing with electronic controls is daunting enough by itself, but when you find out that Lincoln engineers couldn't make everything work, most people are just going to skip it.

Heck, for that matter, how many people actually try to upgrade the LS's powertrain? As small as those numbers are, it's not surprising that few try engine transplants at all, let alone going with the 4.6...

Engine Weight

You talking PI or aftermarket?

Although there is some degree of difference in the weight of various configurations of aluminum manifolds, the giant difference is in the materials themselves. I would suppose a regular iron four-barrel manifold would be the heaviest, and will weigh almost a hundred pounds.

In physical size, an FE engine is---in comparison to a 302 and a 460---a 'medium' block if there were such nomenclature.

KS

Although there is some degree of difference in the weight of various configurations of aluminum manifolds, the giant difference is in the materials themselves. I would suppose a regular iron four-barrel manifold would be the heaviest, and will weigh almost a hundred pounds.

In physical size, an FE engine is---in comparison to a 302 and a 460---a 'medium' block if there were such nomenclature.

KS

All that being said, I would still rather build up an aluminum 351 just because it's so common and shares a good bulk of parts with a 302. Plus, you can always stroke it to get bigger numbers if you aren't happy with it.

FE Engine Details

All that being said, I would still rather build up an aluminum 351 just because it's so common and shares a good bulk of parts with a 302. Plus, you can always stroke it to get bigger numbers if you aren't happy with it.

My comments were directed solely at the mis-information above, and not at any suggestion of reasonableness as to the insertion of an FE into an LS. I have a 390 FE in the garage that makes somewhere just south of 600 HP but it's for another project. As you probably know, a turbo'd methanol/nitrous oxide-fuel'd AJ27 is going into my LS.

KS

My comments were directed solely at the mis-information above
What misinformation? I was just asking if you were talking about PI heads and intake or aftermarket parts to get the weight reduction...

BTW, I also have a 390 4V; it's stuffed under the hood of my '66 Galaxie...

Somewhere up above it was implied that the FE engine is too large and heavy to fit into the engine compartment. Without any suggestion that such a swap makes sense (I don't think it does!) a regular wedge-head FE engine is narrower and not taller than a 4.6. and, as I said, an FE is readily available that's lighter than a regular production run-of-the-mill 351.

All FE heads from regular production were cast iron and would have been within a few ounces of the same weight. Some PI intake manifolds were also iron; the majority were aluminum. Since Ford made aluminum FE intakes in 4-barrel, 3-2 barrel and dual-four-barrel configurations, there is some degree of difference in the weights thereof. But none is anywhere near as heavy as the lightest iron iteration.

Thus my reference to mis-information

KS

Finally found someone who is doing a conversion similar to the one I am planning. I bought a 2002 TBird last year and have been studying all the options for an engine swap. My choices boiled down to a 4.6 3 or a later year 3.9 variable valve with some mods such as turbo charging. I am curious to find out how similar the LS engine compartment and subframe is to the Tbird. My Tbird looks really cramped with the 3.9 with hardly any room between the strut towers and the engine. Been trying to get some accurate dimensions and layout of other engines to see what might physically fit. Of course, I have been also interested in all the electronic issues involved as well as a beefed up IRS. Finally, the automatic tranny has to go to be replaced with a 5 speed. I can't find out whether there is a manual bell housing and tranny bolt up to 3.9.

There is no such thing as a manual transmission from any factory for an AJ-type engine. However, I looked into things enough to discover that it's possible to get a 'Quick Time' bell that can be drilled to match your chosen combination. I've chosen to go with a four litre version of the factory (AJ27) and use an improved 5R55N trans.

KS

Been out of town for work the last couple of weeks.

I have my Transmission mocked up but no pictures of that yet.

I put some of the intake components together today.

Here is a list.
ProComp Spyder intake (substitute Edelbrock if you are roll'n in it)
ProComp Fuel Rails
25lb injectors, a'la 2004 LS 3.9
4.6 to 4150 adapter (Shout out to Mind Over Motor)
4.6 Mustang plenum
2000 LS 69mm throttle body
2000 LS IAC

Not yet pictured:

Aeroquip 15112 FP sensor adapter - on order
1" 4150 spacer to clear egr
egr
misc fittings
Gaskets

Here are a couple pictures of my intake mock-up. Pardon the unsighlty/unfinished parts. I had the 4.6 stuff laying around and I promise they will look better when completed.

IntkFrt.jpg

intkSde.jpg

351s and FEs are cool.

I had a 350hp 351w with 65-66 55cc 289 heads, 1.94-1.60 valves, A351 cam in an Isuzu pickup that ran 13's back in the day. It was a fun truck.

Then again the 351W has bigger mains than the FE and much smaller heads out of the box.

Those old solid lifter 390s and 427s were 5800rpm screamers that made a real 375 to 400hp with the stock .525 lift C3 cam at the crank. There was never a 351 that came close to that stock.

If you have never driven a true FE engined car then you have to add that to you bucket list. It is an experience.

Thanks for the good posts guys.

You should at least be doing a 351 in the heavy LS. This is not a 3000lb mustang. Would even be better to have a 4.00 crank in there.

Thanks for the advice.

5.0 - 3.9 = 1.1 liters

I checked the math on my calculator too ;)

5.8 - 3.9 = 1.9 liters
6.7 - 3.9 = 2.8 liters

i checked on calc too LOL
What where you using for heads again?
What are your expected E.T.'s for this?

Members online

No members online now.
Back