Lincoln LS 302

The brakes I am kind of torn on. For the cost of OEM and all it's parts, I am thinking I can just fab up a bracket and bolt some better aftermarket onto the car.

For it's $5K price tag the Stoptech kit stops the car a whopping ~5 FEET shorter. That's a lot of money to stop 60 INCHES sooner. There was also a slight increase in fade. Again, not enough to justify the price; unless you track the car, then maybe.

Agreed.

I could spend up to $1000 for a big brake kit. For now im happy with the $250 i spent for the rotorpros kit.

I laugh when i see a 300 or a charger with shiny new 22" wheels and tires all waxed up and clean but stock unpainted calipers and rusty stock rotors.

Swap Redux

It looked like your reason for building on a jag block was availability/price, and you could have built your custom motor with a 3.9 if you chose.

I really meant a facory supercharged Jag 4.0/4.2 swap onto an LS. What keeps people from using such a close relative?

The differences between a Lincoln 3.9 and one of the supercharged Jag engines is very much the equivalent to the differences between 289 Ford and Boss 302 engines. Neither swap is as simple as changing a radiator cap, but both are very fully do-able.

Physically, and aside from the possibility of hood interference, the greatest difference is in the location of the oil filter---the Jag has it on the passenger side of the engine and the Lincoln has the filter in the front. Fixing this is a simple matter of swapping hardware.

The supercharged Jag engine has no VVT. If swapping the Jag into a first design Lincoln, that works out well since the Lincoln doesn't have VVT either. If your Lincoln is the second design, you'll have to work with the folk at SCT, who assure me that they can handle the alteration of turning off the VVT controls.

Match the sensors on the Jag engine to the ECU in the Lincoln. The wiring harness on the Jag engine is of the same design as the one in the Lincoln, and one physically plugs into the other, but it'll be necessary to trace the individual conductors and perhaps move the connections inside the connection point to achieve a match-up.

Some time ago, I googled until I found a business whose main activity was scrapping Jag stuff. As I remember, they had several examples of blown Jag engines and were selling them for $3K to about $6K. Add in a grand for peripherals and have a blown Jag engine in your LS. Or work out a deal with Quik to acquire some of the hardware he has developed. Or go on the internet and get one of the generic turbo kits.

Or do the job yourself. I refer you to 'Land Speed LS', even though it's going almighty slow due to the necessity of paying attention to more immediate things!:)

A personal observation:
Over the past several years, I've noticed the changing of the make-up of the people on the LS portion of this forum. I bought my LS new and paid something close to forty grand for it. Very many of the newer members here seem to be kids who paid five grand for a car with a hundred K miles on it and their modifications start---and often end---with a hundred pounds of sound equipment.

When I was in high school, it took me an entire weekend to change the intake manifold on the family car. That would be a couple hours job now. Don't bite off more than you can chew. And the fact that the intricacies of an engine swap may be beyond your own level of experience doesn't mean it can't be done.;)

KS

Sorry for the soapbox---at least a little bit---and also for my part in high-jacking this thread. The 302 swap can surely be done!

I still think the path of least resistance is to boost the 3.9L. That being said, I would love to have the time to do a coyote 5.0L swap with a manual in my gen2. That would just put the car over the top for me :)

I still think the path of least resistance is to boost the 3.9L. That being said, I would love to have the time to do a coyote 5.0L swap with a manual in my gen2. That would just put the car over the top for me :)

That would def be the cheapest way to get more HP for sure. 8 PSI of intercooled boost for a 100 hp+ boost from 280ho to 380hp.

Once Alax gets his LS back we will see just how much power it's putting down.

That would def be the cheapest way to get more HP for sure. 8 PSI of intercooled boost for a 100 hp+ boost from 280ho to 380hp.

I was pretty sure that QuikLS got around 430 when he boosted his 3.9L to 7-PSI. At least that's what I want to say.

All that work and if 5.0 is stock swap its way down on hp if that car came with the 3.9L.

Yeah, just going off of the intake and such it looks like a speed density '86 engine. If that is the case it has the crappy E6 heads and was rated at 210 HP I think. Good effort on the swap though.

Yeah, just going off of the intake and such it looks like a speed density '86 engine. If that is the case it has the crappy E6 heads and was rated at 210 HP I think. Good effort on the swap though.

Yeah, but the Ford 302 is about the ultimate hotrod engine second only to maybe a Chevy 350. They make EVERYTHING for that damn engine. One of the few engines you can build from the ground up without using a single OEM Ford piece if you want. Parts are not only plentiful but cheap too!

So I look at it more for the potential it has then how it sits in it's factory form. Plus where there is a 302 there could easily be a 351 stroked to 427, or 408 for better longevity :D

There are three Ford engine families that have aftermarket support such that one can be built with no factory parts:
1. Small block
2. FE
3. 385 series

With enough effort, any one of them could be made to fit an LS engine compartment!

KS

First, I want to say thanks for the following so far everyone.

Remember my swap is modified 2000 Explorer 5.0.

Heads: Aluminum 175cc intake runners with 58 cc cumbustion chambers
Stock Cam 1.7 Crane Roller tip rockers (.449I .474E lift)
Hardened Pushrods
ARP Rods bolts
ARP head bolts
.039 Felpro Headgaskets
Double Roller timing Chain
King Mains
Clevite P Rods
New Rings
Melling HV Oil Pump
7qt front sump oil pan
ProComp Victor Style FI intake
Billet 1000cfm Throttle body
Stainless 1 5/8" shorty headers
Chromealloy Steel flywheel

I know it's a little cheesy but this engine makes 326 hp at 5K on the Desktop Dyno. I have been building Ford small blocks since 1994 and have been using Desktop Dyno since ~1995 (it used to be DOS based with crazy blue solid graphics). I have found it to be really close to actual numbers.

I want you all to know that I have a 2004 Lincoln LS 3.9 sitting on my garage floor and if I could get a V8 Vantage 6 speed I would use that engine in a heartbeat over this 302.

All externalities asside (i.e., horsepower, turbos, superchargers, etc), I think this is a doable swap. I mean heck, I already bought a car, an engine, a transmission, built the engine, bought the extra transmission parts and I have some time invested as well. I don't look at this as a potential failure. It's just another of life's many lessons.

The differences between a Lincoln 3.9 and one of the supercharged Jag engines is very much the equivalent to the differences between 289 Ford and Boss 302 engines. Neither swap is as simple as changing a radiator cap, but both are very fully do-able.

Physically, and aside from the possibility of hood interference, the greatest difference is in the location of the oil filter---the Jag has it on the passenger side of the engine and the Lincoln has the filter in the front. Fixing this is a simple matter of swapping hardware.

The supercharged Jag engine has no VVT. If swapping the Jag into a first design Lincoln, that works out well since the Lincoln doesn't have VVT either. If your Lincoln is the second design, you'll have to work with the folk at SCT, who assure me that they can handle the alteration of turning off the VVT controls.

Match the sensors on the Jag engine to the ECU in the Lincoln. The wiring harness on the Jag engine is of the same design as the one in the Lincoln, and one physically plugs into the other, but it'll be necessary to trace the individual conductors and perhaps move the connections inside the connection point to achieve a match-up.

Some time ago, I googled until I found a business whose main activity was scrapping Jag stuff. As I remember, they had several examples of blown Jag engines and were selling them for $3K to about $6K. Add in a grand for peripherals and have a blown Jag engine in your LS. Or work out a deal with Quik to acquire some of the hardware he has developed. Or go on the internet and get one of the generic turbo kits.

Or do the job yourself. I refer you to 'Land Speed LS', even though it's going almighty slow due to the necessity of paying attention to more immediate things!:)

A personal observation:
Over the past several years, I've noticed the changing of the make-up of the people on the LS portion of this forum. I bought my LS new and paid something close to forty grand for it. Very many of the newer members here seem to be kids who paid five grand for a car with a hundred K miles on it and their modifications start---and often end---with a hundred pounds of sound equipment.

When I was in high school, it took me an entire weekend to change the intake manifold on the family car. That would be a couple hours job now. Don't bite off more than you can chew. And the fact that the intricacies of an engine swap may be beyond your own level of experience doesn't mean it can't be done.;)

KS

Sorry for the soapbox---at least a little bit---and also for my part in high-jacking this thread. The 302 swap can surely be done!

KS,

I purchased a 2004 LS 3.9 engine to see if the differences between first and second Gen were just extra holes in the valve covers and a redesigned intake. I want to bring this up because the heads had a significant difference in port location and size.

If you are planning on running an STR engine also look at the block. The Blocks on the first Gens have provisions for the Hydraulic fan pump. These provisions do not exist on Gen twos. Additionally, gen two oil pans are visually the same as Gen ones but they are not drilled for the low mount alternator.

The Gen ones also have an idler pulley in the passenger side of the timing chain cover that does not exist on a Gen two.

I am not sure if the STR block is more like a Gen one or a Gen two but you can swap the oil pans on all AJ engines (based on everything that I have read). This means you don't have to worry about the differences in oil fliter location.

You can swap the heads on all AJ engines.

If you want to put an STR engine in a Gen one, you will have to go to an electric fan and a Gen two/S Type alternater and modify your harness.

You might have more luck getting a Gen One Jag supercharged 4.0 liter and shoving that in there (however, the throttle body will hit the firewall so fabrication is still necessary).

Yeah, but the Ford 302 is about the ultimate hotrod engine second only to maybe a Chevy 350. They make EVERYTHING for that damn engine. One of the few engines you can build from the ground up without using a single OEM Ford piece if you want. Parts are not only plentiful but cheap too!

So I look at it more for the potential it has then how it sits in it's factory form. Plus where there is a 302 there could easily be a 351 stroked to 427, or 408 for better longevity :D
Couldn't agree more! the SBF is one of my favorites.

I hear you; I was referring to the S-type 5.0 swap that Chris posted from CL.

5.0.jpg

Couldn't agree more! the SBF is one of my favorites.

I hear you; I was referring to the S-type 5.0 swap that Chris posted from CL.

Thanks for the post. I didn't know about this one.

I gotta hand it to them, they got it in there. I'll try to get some pictures of my car, engine, and transmission this week so that you can see what I am working with. Hopefully, my finished product will look a little more modern without the multipoint and dizzy in there.

Last edited:
KS,

...however, the throttle body will hit the firewall so fabrication is still necessary).

The intake manifold on AJ engines is symmetrical. It's, therefore, possible to reverse the manifold so that it faces forward and the TB will be in the front.

KS

The intake manifold on AJ engines is symmetrical. It's, therefore, possible to reverse the manifold so that it faces forward and the TB will be in the front.

KS

Look at the supercharged XJR engine. There are usually some on eBay.

You could flip it but the pulley would be on the back... ;)

Look at the supercharged XJR engine. There are usually some on eBay.

You could flip it but the pulley would be on the back... ;)

My bad for not catching that you were talking about the supercharged version. However, a thought---it might be necessary to alter the brace tube, etc, but there may well be enough space against the actual firewall. Perhaps something like the export brace used on early Mustangs.

KS

Heads: Aluminum 175cc intake runners with 58 cc cumbustion chambers
Stock Cam 1.7 Crane Roller tip rockers (.449I .474E lift)
Hardened Pushrods
ARP Rods bolts
ARP head bolts
.039 Felpro Headgaskets
Double Roller timing Chain
King Mains
Clevite P Rods
New Rings
Melling HV Oil Pump
7qt front sump oil pan
ProComp Victor Style FI intake
Billet 1000cfm Throttle body
Stainless 1 5/8" shorty headers
Chromealloy Steel flywheel

I know it's a little cheesy but this engine makes 326 hp at 5K on the Desktop Dyno. I have been building Ford small blocks since 1994 and have been using Desktop Dyno since ~1995 (it used to be DOS based with crazy blue solid graphics). I have found it to be really close to actual numbers.

I want you all to know that I have a 2004 Lincoln LS 3.9 sitting on my garage floor and if I could get a V8 Vantage 6 speed I would use that engine in a heartbeat over this 302.

All externalities asside (i.e., horsepower, turbos, superchargers, etc), I think this is a doable swap. I mean heck, I already bought a car, an engine, a transmission, built the engine, bought the extra transmission parts and I have some time invested as well. I don't look at this as a potential failure. It's just another of life's many lessons.

I would think your about right on the HP for your engine build...maybe a bit optimistic. As long as you realize that you are going through all of this trouble ultimately to gain only a handful of horsepower at the wheels, more power to ya!

Members online

No members online now.
Back