stalled after driving through water..!!

HOODHEFNER04

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was on the highway and drove through about a foot of water ,and by the time I reach the other side (which was about 20 yards wide) vehicle staled and would not come back on . Please help. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Mind you ,I was doing about 20/30 mph and everyone else made it through just fine.what a disaster. Thank you

could either be an electrical problem if your lucky, or that you got enough water up through the intake that your engine is water locked in which case I'll buy your LS for parts.

do any of the lights come on? interior etc? is there any electrical life when you turn the key? does the engine crank at all?

Lights do come on when I turn the key. No cranking at all. This can't be happening... I love my LS.what to do.? Thank you again for any help or suggestions

if you turn they key, do you hear a click or clicking? like how it might sound if you tried to start it with a dead battery?

any warning lights or dash messages appear after going through the puddle?

you can try taking the spark plugs out and cranking it, this should expel some of that dirty queens street water

If I recall correct, I think I seen the battery and brake lights on the dash come on before it stalled. It will give a click just like if u did have a dead battery. But I know for fact that its not the battery,its new.

I wasn't going to suggest the battery, just trying to find out if it's looking more like electric then hydro lock. when it dries up it would be a good idea to check wiring under the car, I would guess around the alternator/starter.

give it some time, someone will chime in here with more knowledge then I have.

I truly appreciate ur suggestions and trying to help me. I am damn sure not a mechanic so I am grateful. I will check those things you said when it does decide to dry out here.. Also, if u know a good lincoln mechanic. Feel free to share his info.. If you think of anything else,please dont hesitate to post...

On another not, that grill you asked about has a bubble on it ,and one broken tab. i will just give it to you if you want it. Free.

I'm not much of a mechanic either, and I'll tell you taking the plugs out is no big deal at all. all you would need is a spark plug socket and a ratchet wrench. after pulling off the plastic bits off the top of the engine you'll see the plug wells. Pull off the coil plug wires and remove the spark plugs. Then (and only then) try and start it and watch for water to shoot out of the plug wells.

it really isnt a lincoln mechanic you need, just a good one with common sense that can tell if your hydro locked, the plug removal will tell, but a mechanic can also remove the belt and try and turn the engine by hand to tell if it;s locked for sure. unfortunately I've heard of a lot of LS's that got hydrolock

If he can turn it by hand and there's no water shooting out the plug wells then maybe you have a loose wire, bad starter/alternator etc

lincoln out here charges $150 just to diagnose, factor in a possible 2 way tow and that's not cheap.

thx for the offer, but as it turns out I don't need a grill.

best of luck.

If you have a v6 the plug removal is no simple task. If you are not mechanically inclined I would get it to a shop before you do any/or more damage. Do you have a stock or aftermarket air filter? Is the air filter soaking wet or dry? The idea of the wiring related to the starter is a good place to start....

might be a good idea to start used engine shopping.

Sorry to hear that...time to get it to the shop. The good news is there is a good chance it can be resolved with plug removal, oil change, etc. I am on the west coast but someone will chime in with a recommendation for a shop.

When I seen that ,i kind of really thought that too.... Such a sad case. .Thanks for all of you guys help and time...if u know of amy places to look ,let me know please. Tears!!

Thank you xford. I hope and pray it can be resolved... I love my L.S.. Keep you posted. Great forum...

PEOPLE, STAY THE HELLLLLLLLLLL AWAY FROM PUDDLES,MAKE A UTURN!!!

First don't try to start it again in case its hydro locked, don't allow any more water into the engine, it will make you problems worse. Sounds like that's what you have, depending how bad it is its fixable, however don't be surprised if you need a new motor due to some good damage...

was there any type of smoke or anything coming out of the tailpipe?

You can run a product called sea foam through the engine, read the directions and follow it to the T, then after change the oil...that should do it.

Hey,JVIP, no there wasn't any smoke coming out the tailpipe. Just stuttered a lil then cut off. I will buy some sea moss right now and try it. Will follow directions. Anything is worth a try right about now. Hanks.

112LS ,we all sank like the titanic.. that's crazy.next time it rains like this I won't be driving no where at all in pothole heaven queens..

Take the plugs out and turn the motor over before you seafoam it.

My guess is that if it's not tunring over at all then it hydro locked and bent one or more rods.

Seafoam won't help anything that was damaged from water coming in the intake. Don't waste your $10(or w/e you might pay) on seafoam because it won't help this situation. Hydro locked engine either bend valves, rods or worse, nothing that's cured by cleaning carbon deposits out.

It does sound like you hydro-locked it though. First thing you did wrong was to drive through deep water, the second thing you did wrong was do it at anything more than 3-4MPH. Best case scenario The spark plugs get pulled and the water comes out. Also remember to drain you oil. With the spark plugs pulled and oil drain plug out turn the engine over quite a bit. I recommend you put the battery on a charger while doing this. Then you will want to run a compression test. After that get back to us.

Since it is a gen1 V6. I say trash it and get a gen2 or something else.

Now check your insurance policy, if you have full coverage it is POSSIBLE it may be covered. You will need to look under 'Exclusions'. A lot of policies list hydrolock under an abuse category and it is not covered. Worth a shot.

Members online

Back