Yet another Audio Question

seekonkholen1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for a definitive answer but I am getting conflicting results. I have a gen2 LS with the factory 6x9 subs. It has the amp in the rear and the subs are the free air type (no enclosure) They sound pretty good but I wanted to change them in hopes of a bit more bass. From what I have read the amp is 85W. Does anybody know if it is 2, 4, or 8 ohms or how I can test it to find out?

The searches I have done have said 2 ohms others have said 4 ohms. I am thinking of getting a pair of 8" mounting them from the bottom with a small enclosure and using the factory amp.

well the subs are 2ohm. if you look on the bottom of the 6x9s it says they are 2ohm so i'd look for some 2ohm subs. they make 8" free air subs. I've thought about getting some of those myself.

well the subs are 2ohm. if you look on the bottom of the 6x9s it says they are 2ohm so i'd look for some 2ohm subs. they make 8" free air subs. I've thought about getting some of those myself.

I guess checking the speaker would have been one way to get the answer huh? haha... Thanks

Do you think free air will sound ok? I was thinking of making a small enclosure for each of the them and mounting the enclosure. What are your thoughts?

85w to power two 8' subs, gross!

most 8" subs can handle much more than 47w, and under powering a sub often sound much worse than over powering them.

if you really want it to sound good, replace the amp with one that is matched to the subs you choose.

85w to power two 8' subs, gross!

most 8" subs can handle much more than 47w, and under powering a sub often sound much worse than over powering them.

if you really want it to sound good, replace the amp with one that is matched to the subs you choose.

I thought it was 85 each side. If it's 85 total then yes I definately need an amp too.
I wasn't looking to be Thumping just a bit more than what I have now.

I thought it was 85 each side. If it's 85 total then yes I definately need an amp too.

I am with you on the thumping. I just had to replace my factory 6x9" open air subs because one of them blew (from age I'm guessing, I don't crank the volume). I needed something to replace them, and came across some 6x9" subs from CDT Audio; they are the CL-69s. I got a Rockford Fosgate Punch amp to power them, and they sound great. Definitely a lot better than the factory subs, but they won't vibrate your head.

i didnt think it was quite that high, but its been a while since ive seen the specs

well with a bigger driver you might get a little lower, but i dont think you will get any more than what you have, you will probably actually get much less since the 8"s will most likely be much more heavy duty than the factory subs are, so they will probably need more power just to be the same loudness.

1LoudLS is correct, powering anything other than the factory subs off of the factory amp is pretty much useless. I mean the power and ground to the amp in there is like 18 AWG...lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back