A white smoke problem and no acceleration / shaking

alexnavi

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, wonder if anyone can tell whats wrong with my 93' Mark VIII.
Car overheated a week ago and I had to change broken belt, water pomp and idler pulley all at once. I completed the coolant reservoir (3 gallons in). Everything was alright until today. Car start shaking really bad when i was accelerating, it had no power at all to move and a white smoke came out from the back of the engine(not thru the pipes in the back).
I know I have a problem with my cathalythic converter have a hole in it. And makes loud noise too. But the white smoke wasn't coming out thru the converter. See the pics.
I also noticed 2 metallic lines that runs on top of the cathalytic converter and they were burning, red hot. What does it mean all this and what likely is my problem? Please, please help!

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

the tubes running up are the DPFE lines. usually when ive seen that the cat is plugged and all the exhaust has to go somewhere.

id research how to properly fill the cooling system, because from your description you did that wrong, and hope you didnt kill the headgasket, aluminum block and head + heat = bad

the tubes running up are the DPFE lines. usually when ive seen that the cat is plugged and all the exhaust has to go somewhere.

id research how to properly fill the cooling system, because from your description you did that wrong, and hope you didnt kill the headgasket, aluminum block and head + heat = bad

Why sugar coat it?

He's prolly got plugged cats and at least one blown headgasket.

I wonder how long he ignored the CEL once the ECU started seeing issues via the rear o2's.

Why sugar coat it?

He's prolly got plugged cats and at least one blown headgasket.

I wonder how long he ignored the CEL once the ECU started seeing issues via the rear o2's.

i dont think i sugar coated it maybe i should of capitalized "bad" oh well, no go vote on his other thread ;)......damn looks like he deleted it

bad cat conv

u think if i change the cat conv with a universal fit one should work? I called auto parts today, they have it for $60 or something like that. But the white smoke wasn't coming out from the cathalytic conv tho

Good fuggin grief. This is Frogs favorite kind of poster. First post and just wants us to fix it with the addition of him typing like lincolnboy...... yeah, hes gonna get it. :lol:

And I think the problem is "a".

Chicken, hes showing the passenger side. What he is circling is prolly the EVAP lines or the AC drain ...... I bet its the AC drain. Water is hitting the exhaust and steaming........ white smoke to those of no clue.

I thought cathalythic converter stopped after the dark ages.

Ill let Frog play with the rest.

you have mutiple problems
white smoke usually means your burning coolant=head gasket
glowing dpfe tubes=plugged cat
running like ass=headgasket also on rare accounts ive seen bad dpfes make them run bad and being how your forcing hot exhaust through it im sure it could also be a factor

id start cheapest first.
knock the cats out
replace the dpfe and hoses
PROPERLY fill the cooling system
and see if your engine is junk

damn it laser, goes outside to check where the hell the dpfe is............

DPFE is on the drivers head. Bolted to the back with two rubber lines running to the exhaust manifold/cat/pipe.

DPFE is on the drivers head. Bolted to the back with two rubber lines running to the exhaust manifold/cat/pipe.

correct!
so id start by knocking the cats out and fill the coolant the right way.
and oddly enough only "tubes" i have running in the area he posted are my fuel lines :shifty: hope those arnt glowing hot
probably all the coolant hes burning coming out through the hole in his cat just smoking everything

Damnit, wrong picture loaded. My bad.
The EVAP lines run there too. Problem is he types like lincolnboy and does not make sense.

I believe the "glowing tubes" are the DPFE lines and the "white smoke" he is seeing is from the AC dripping on the exhaust. He failed to mention that the two problems were not coming from the same spot.

And with a Teksid being over heated 10 times in a short time I am sure its cracked or severly warped.

so not buy new ones like the universal fit and put them on instead? I mean of course i would go cheapest way just take them out and thats it, i didn't know i can just do that

you have mutiple problems
white smoke usually means your burning coolant=head gasket
glowing dpfe tubes=plugged cat
running like ass=headgasket also on rare accounts ive seen bad dpfes make them run bad and being how your forcing hot exhaust through it im sure it could also be a factor

id start cheapest first.
knock the cats out
replace the dpfe and hoses
PROPERLY fill the cooling system
and see if your engine is junk

uhhhh thats the imrc controller the dpfe lines are under it though
Yeah, I Ninja edited before you replied.

When I grabbed it from photobucket I just saw the tiny 1"x1" picture and thought I grabbed it. I have one of the DPFE as well but cant seem to locate it.

Step1=Gut your cats and see if that fixes anything
If step 1 fails then your engine probably junked out.

Thank u guys. and sorry for the double post. Im new to the forum

So tomorrow i will cut the cathalyst converter out, the bad one. Actually i was thinking to replaced it with a new universal one from advance auto parts but thats just another expense. So i'll just take it out on the passenger side and see if thats works. I hope it'll stop the white smoke.
I still don't know where the white smoke coming from because it's not from the cat. It's somewhere between the back of the engine and the wall itself that splits the engine compartment from the interrior. A small hole with an oval shape lets the smoke out thru there. Here is a picture maybe somebody know where that white smoke might come from. Thnks much!!

lincoln_white_smoke.JPG

Does it smells? Could be trans fluid breaking through the o-ring and dripping on the exhaust creating smoke...just a thought

white smoke

Yes, it does have a weird smell, like a burned plastic or something like that. The engine is cold now haven't crank it on since but as soon as i open the hood i can still smell it it that area, by the intake side, upper corner

Does it smells? Could be trans fluid breaking through the o-ring and dripping on the exhaust creating smoke...just a thought

Step1=Gut your cats and see if that fixes anything
If step 1 fails then your engine probably junked out.

Step one DO NOT GUT THE CATS!!!! You will only create more problems in the future, just replace them as you stated. As for the white smoke I hope it's just trans fluid and not a blown head gasket. How does the oil look? Is there any "peanut butter" in the oil and or coolant?

Oh god now he might put peanut butter in the oil. :D Sounds like you need to look at the car. and stop guessing. If the cat was plugged it would run like ass. Do you have a cel on.

I would think the CEL would have come on long before the cats were completely plugged up. After all, that's what the rear O2's are there for (more or less). Either he drove it with the light on for a long time, or the light is burned out/removed. I'm going with "a".

OMG I found a way to say you are wrong Frogman. MWAHAHAHAHA! Sorry I had to do the evil laugh. Frog His car is a gen one it has no rear o2 sensor.

*hands Frog a crayon*

I like crayons cause they taste like purple.

Members online

No members online now.
Back