p0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

MMAFIGHTER121

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got this code, again.. not the usual coil failure code..its sputtering at idle and low RPM band in high gear, like the coil is going bad but I replaced the coil to be sure anyway, and the problem didn't go away. I also checked the spark plug and that's fine. It feels like maybe something as simple a dirty fuel filter or a failing injector, but rather than just throwing parts at it (i'm currently out of work) I'm wondering what you all think it could be?

Did you replace the plug when you changed the coil? Because anytime you replace a coil your are suppose to replace that plug

no, the plug only has about 10000 miles on it, if that, i had just swapped them out not too long ago, and when I took it out it was as new, i cleaned it off a bit all delicate like with some no residue electronics cleaner spray too just to be sure.

The plugs get arc tracks which make them prone to spark leakage at the boot. Always change the plug with the coil. As far as the code, it makes me wonder if there could be issues with the coil driver in the PCM.

yea, but if the coil really was the problem replacing it would have made at least a minor improvement even w/o a new plug. there was literally no change.

The plugs get arc tracks which make them prone to spark leakage at the boot. Always change the plug with the coil. As far as the code, it makes me wonder if there could be issues with the coil driver in the PCM.

Agreed with all that.. You could try moving the coil to a different cylinder, but you said that you replaced it so that shouldn't be a problem.. This code isn't a general misfire so the fuel filter wouldn't be a culprit..

yea, but if the coil really was the problem replacing it would have made at least a minor improvement even w/o a new plug. there was literally no change.

I wonder if these Accels are killing PCMs? Pektel had to replace his PCM when he had the Accels.. Sounds more of a PCM problem to me.. You can try getting it flashed at your local Ford dealership.. It's only like 60 bucks

That code doesn't sound like an injector problem. The computer is telling there is something wrong with the coil. Either the coil is bad, wiring to the coil is bad, or the ECU is bad. Unless there is another code those are your options.

If I were you I'd move that coil to another location, then reset the computer by disconnecting the battery of a while with a light on(if the trunk like works that that will be fine).

What's weird about your situation is that it doesn't tell you which coil is failing, are there other codes as well?

I wonder if these Accels are killing PCMs? Pektel had to replace his PCM when he had the Accels.. Sounds more of a PCM problem to me.. You can try getting it flashed at your local Ford dealership.. It's only like 60 bucks

I bought his coils and they work great, AFTER I figured out that the mustang coils are wired backwards for ours and needed to have the polarity reversed. I had long cranking time before I reversed the polarity, not it fires right up. Pektel had the same problem, but mine went away when I wired it correctly. I did some reasearch and coils will work when wired backwards, but will draw more current and put out about 30% less voltage.

YOU GUYS NEED TO FIND OUT OF THE ACCEL COILS NEED TO HAVE YOU REVERSE THE POLARITY ON THE V8 LIKE I HAD TO DO ON THE V6.

THIS MIGHT BE HIS PROBLEM! I THROUGH THIS CODE WHEN I TRIED TO USE GRANATELLI COILS. I figured the coils just weren't compatible, I was half right, they were wired wrong and wouldn't work that way because of the design.

That info was looked up for a 2000 Lincoln LS V8.. If someone tells me colors I can interpret them but I don't have that part of my engine ripped apart to see which color wire goes in which side..

That code doesn't sound like an injector problem. The computer is telling there is something wrong with the coil. Either the coil is bad, wiring to the coil is bad, or the ECU is bad. Unless there is another code those are your options.

If I were you I'd move that coil to another location, then reset the computer by disconnecting the battery of a while with a light on(if the trunk like works that that will be fine).

What's weird about your situation is that it doesn't tell you which coil is failing, are there other codes as well?

its coil B (2) the last digit in the code indicates the coil # too.

well this is all cool info, but its odd that it would take so long to go all funky isn't it? I mean i've had the coils in for over a year now I think, and its only throwing on the one cylinder.

well this is all cool info, but its odd that it would take so long to go all funky isn't it? I mean i've had the coils in for over a year now I think, and its only throwing on the one cylinder.

My LS had long cranking time and sometimes would sputter when it tried to start. It would drive fine but miss under heavy load. I tried tons of things, even changed the spark plugs(which didn't help the miss but now she idles smooth as a kitten).

I'm telling you, check the wiring!

I'm not particularly adept with wiring. I reset the codes and it didn't come back immediatly but I scanned it while running and oddly it threw pending code 0304 - misfire cylinder 4. Then I rode it around a bit and the trouble light kicked back on. Ill go repull it to see if its 0352 or 0304..

well.. now that's strange. it was code 0304 - misfire cylinder 4 detected. hm. maybe i should take the coil that was on cylinder 2 (b) and move it to 4? see how that works out? I also discovered that the hard plastic vacuum tube from the valve cover was leaking, i fixed that up before re-resetting the codes.. maybe that had something to do with wonky readings and now the cylinder 4 misfire is the true culprit? or maybe there were two bad coils?

You're right. It's either the coil, wiring, or PCM. The PCM failing this way is not unheard of and is often due to a marginal coil that was ignored for too long.
I'd test the wiring first, since you've already ruled out the coil. (There's a very small chance it could be the spark plug. I'd change that too if you haven't already.)

well.. now that's strange. it was code 0304 - misfire cylinder 4 detected. hm. maybe i should take the coil that was on cylinder 2 (b) and move it to 4? see how that works out? I also discovered that the hard plastic vacuum tube from the valve cover was leaking, i fixed that up before re-resetting the codes.. maybe that had something to do with wonky readings and now the cylinder 4 misfire is the true culprit? or maybe there were two bad coils?

Maybe, you should still look into the wiring, because you'll get more spark when it's wired right. I would move a coil suspected to be bad to a cylinder with a misfire, move the coil from the cylinder with the misfire to a cylinder that supposed to be good to see if the miss changes cylinders, if it does then you know it's the coil.

Maybe, you should still look into the wiring, because you'll get more spark when it's wired right. I would move a coil suspected to be bad to a cylinder with a misfire, move the coil from the cylinder with the misfire to a cylinder that supposed to be good to see if the miss changes cylinders, if it does then you know it's the coil.

i dont know what to check when you say to check my wiring.

He's saying reverse the pins so that they will be in the orientation they are suppose to be in (because the Mustang is reversed as opposed to the LS)..

i dont know what to check when you say to check my wiring.

You have the Accel coils right? If you do when you disconnect the coil one side of the connection on the coil will have a plus sign. The connector end with wires will have two different color wires going into it. Tell us which color wire is one the side that is one the same side as the +.

See where I put the red plus here and the wire on that side is green, what color is yours? AND pull you connector off to verify that there's a plus sign under there on that side.
CIMG_2011-03-12-153636pos.jpg

well sure enough i got back to coil 4 and look what I found!
183537_785117376482_16111792_41128169_1119010_s.jpg

the coil was barely plugged in and the connector on the top was, as you can see -broken and exposed, and I think only half of it had made it into the pigtail. So. swapped that out with the coil from cylinder 2 (the one I took out needlessly) and no more misfire! i will definitely snap a few more photos though with my phone and check out which is positive and negative.. or at least re-look now that the immediate issue is resolved.

Members online

No members online now.
Back