03 and up LS guys

Again, it remembers the last 5 or so up shifts, after months of new driver it knows your habits. Doing a reset with the negative battery disconnected for about a half hour can make a improvement, and worth a try.

so lets say im working on my car...and i need to disconnect the battery for longer then 3 minutes...would doing that be the same as doing frogman's process?

Unfamiliar with post #1 procedure on the Lincoln LS. Disconnecting for short period of time like two or three minutes probably doesn't get rid of the residue electricity that holds the memory, other have said in the past about stepping on the brake draining to brake light to help dissipate the residue electricity but about a half hour disconnect does.

So is there a point to do it if you rarely use SST?

Am I the only one who pretty much never uses SST and has it? haha I'm a lazy fkr.
We never use ours. IMO it kinda sucks. Some gears take almost a second to shift after I move the lever. Worthless.

We never use ours. IMO it kinda sucks. Some gears take almost a second to shift after I move the lever. Worthless.

I seldom use mine but with a tune made for more positive shifts in D5, D4, and SST. I live in the mountains and use D4 going up and coming down the mountains, use SST in the winter even with Traction Control by starting in 2nd and even 3rd, for keeping my foot of the brake when slowing down in town with snow, and icy conditions.

I believe this resets the TPS, not the transmission. I did this and my throttle seems less touchy and much more linear.

Okay I did this. I am not sure if it is in my head or actually the case, but doing this has increased the 'force' when in reverse or drive and not accelerating. Like when you put it in drive and it just starts moving, that speed seems to have increased. Also yes the shifta feel smoother.

Overall I am glad I did this, I'm sure it will keep getting better as I continue to drive.

OK, after doing this, I'm impressed with the diference in the shifting performance. But I've noticed a HUGE drop in gas mileage. My worst average mpg for a tank full since I bought the car was 19.2 and best is 21.0 So far, this tank is at 16.6. I'm wondering if the re-learning also includes the gas mileage will improve as it relearns.

16.6mpg sounds more accurate, i get 16.4mpg with mine.

And i drive mine hard.

Mine shifts hard from time to time, I am wondering if this will fix it. 98% of the time it shifts fine and slow, but there are those rare times where it will downshift hard and upshift hard... also shifting into reverse is sometimes harsh

Isnt there a TSB to fix this?

i have a 2000 is there a way i can reset my trans?

1. disconnect the negative battery terminal
2. let car sit overnight
3. reconnect the negative battery terminal, start car, then drive car.

I really don't drive mine very hard. Figured I would wait until I see what happens before I try to break any thing! LOL

This won't break anything. It would be nice to disable the learning feature entirely. But this is easier than disconnecting the battery, so wtg!

I did this other day after reading the post..So far so good I haven't paid much attention to my gas mileage decreasing/increasing etc but will..But i did notice the trans doesn't do a lot of searching for gears (upshift/downshift) especially on hills...Is this something that should be done reguarly?

Thanks for the tip

Last edited:
I really don't drive mine very hard. Figured I would wait until I see what happens before I try to break any thing! LOL

well i try not to but its hard...coming from a 175hp V6 suv this thing flies and i feel spoiled.

Yes, you are right. It could be better, but you just gotta learn to time it right.
The SST does very good job of putting you in better control of the car, going around corners or coming up to a corner fast.

I did this other day after reading the post..So far so good I haven't paid much attention to my gas mileage decreasing/increasing etc but will..But i did notice the trans doesn't do a lot of searching for gears (upshift/downshift) especially on hills...Is this something that should be done reguarly?

Thanks for the tip

Define "regularly". It won't hurt anything if you do it every start cycle... But that would be a little... Obsessive, IMHO.

Once a month. That should be good enough. Depending on how many miles you drive, of course.

Okay I did this. I am not sure if it is in my head or actually the case, but doing this has increased the 'force' when in reverse or drive and not accelerating. Like when you put it in drive and it just starts moving, that speed seems to have increased. Also yes the shifta feel smoother.

Overall I am glad I did this, I'm sure it will keep getting better as I continue to drive.

Good to hear. Next step is to get used to SST and you will like the car even more. ;)

I love SST, if for nothing else just messing with my wife, but usually just for having fun. I'll ease up to about 3k or so then punch it :D its fun. She says something about gas mileage blah blah, and I tell her your right... Lets take the Suburban instead.

Define "regularly". It won't hurt anything if you do it every start cycle... But that would be a little... Obsessive, IMHO.

Once a month. That should be good enough. Depending on how many miles you drive, of course.

yeah i was thinking a once a month or so..

I did it and I am impressed with the difference in shifting. I was thinking about doing this reset once a month or so too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back