03 and up LS guys

Frogman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I promise to nicer if you promise to be smarter.
I don't know if this trick will work for the LS with the drive by wire, but it seems to work on a lot of other DBW equipped cars:

Turn ignition to ON. I don't know if this will be Accessories or full on RUN (without starting) position. It seems to vary.

Step on Accelerator Pedal and push it to the floor for 5 seconds

Turn ignition to OFF, leave key inserted

Release accelerator pedal

Don't do anything for at least 2 minutes. Don't open doors, windows, don't play with any electronics (though, I wouldn't think changing radio stations would affect it).

This sequence supposedly resets the transmission control unit (TCU) and forces it to re-learn your driving style.

Again, I have heard it works on just about any DBW equipped car (with an automatic transmission, of course), but I can only vouch for it on Mercedes transmissions. For all I know, the LS doesn't even have a "learning" TCU though. But you should feel an increase in power. No, not from the engine, but rather due to how the torque limiters in the TCU deal with the power the engine is putting into the transmission.

Please let me know if any of you try it. I'm curious to see if the LS TCU can be "reset" this way.

Of course, you won't be (or at least shouldn't be) screwing anything up. Much as I am an ass, I would NEVER purposely steer any of my fellow LvC members astray.

Thanx for the tip Frogman, i'm gonna try this in the morning. I was curious as to if the "Learned" mode could be reset. When I first bought my LS, I noticed that it shifted different than my SHO, just felt funny at times. The trans guy I usually go to said that between the 5 speed and the learned driving condition, that it may feel strange but probably nothing wrong with it. But he never mentioned if it was possible to changed the "Learned" shift points and I never thought to ask. I'll try it and see what happens.

Disconnecting the battery over night supposedly allows the computer to reset and will learn your driving style ect when you hook it back up.

Thanx for the tip Frogman, i'm gonna try this in the morning. I was curious as to if the "Learned" mode could be reset. When I first bought my LS, I noticed that it shifted different than my SHO, just felt funny at times. The trans guy I usually go to said that between the 5 speed and the learned driving condition, that it may feel strange but probably nothing wrong with it. But he never mentioned if it was possible to changed the "Learned" shift points and I never thought to ask. I'll try it and see what happens.

Mansfield CT?

What if you are running an xcal tune? Should I return to stock and try this? Or it won't matter?

Thanks for the tip frogman

Overnight is longer than 2-3 minutes and you don't have to reset clocks and stations.

That's what I was trying to avoid, resetting the clock, radio and any other stuff.
I tried this before I left for work this morning and I believe it made a difference. The car doesn't seem to hesitate or lag when I have to get out of the gas and get back in to it. I'll experiment a bit but it feels better by-the-seat-of-the-pants anyway.

i kinda wanna try this...my tranny likes to be indecisive lately wjhen i get off and on the gas

ive decided im goin to try this..i have to leave the house in about a half hour ill try it and post later if anything feels different

i kinda wanna try this...my tranny likes to be indecisive lately wjhen i get off and on the gas

I just drove mine for a second time since I did this. It is absolutely better. Indecisive was a good way to describe it. It shifts a lot crisper now.

Just wondering.. What would be the point of this?

Does resetting it do anything other than require it to re-learn how you drove already beforehand?

Just wondering.. What would be the point of this?

Does resetting it do anything other than require it to re-learn how you drove already beforehand?

The transmission remember the last 5 up shifts time and adjusts the line pressure accordingly, you could also re-teach by using the SST mode if you have it. I know with mine if I'm in stop and go traffic and I'm hard on and off the gas it does get confused at times, and takes a while to smooth out. I will drive in 4th for a while and that helps.

From the Owners Manual:

"This vehicle is equipped with an adaptive Transmission Shift Strategy.
Adaptive Shift strategy offers the optimal transmission operation and
shift quality. When the vehicle’s battery has been disconnected for any
type of service or repair, the transmission will need to relearn the normal
shift strategy parameters, much like having to reset your radio stations
when your vehicle battery has been disconnected. The Adaptive
Transmission Strategy allows the transmission to relearn these operating
parameters. This learning process could take several transmission
upshifts and downshifts; during this learning process, slightly firmer
shifts may occur. After this learning process, normal shift feel and shift
scheduling will resume."

So is there a point to do it if you rarely use SST?

Am I the only one who pretty much never uses SST and has it? haha I'm a lazy fkr.

Am I the only one who pretty much never uses SST and has it? haha I'm a lazy fkr.

I rarely used mine at all before my tune cleaned it up some. Now I use it sometimes but its still not all that great, and lets be honest. SST isn't going to fool anyone into thinking we drive a proper manual transmission or even give you close to the same sensation

as far as the reset i tried it yesterday and in my opinion it is a little bit smoother on the shifts. i think it did work....it even shifted less harshly into reverse...
i use the sst a lot when im by myself because its a little more fun...i dont want ppl to think im drivin a manual though i just think the car drives and performs better in that mode.

So is there a point to do it if you rarely use SST?

I must be a lazy _ _ _ also because I have only used mine once since I bought the car in mid September. I really don't have a use for it, it's not a 5 speed like my SC so I don't bother.

The transmission remember the last 5 up shifts time and adjusts the line pressure accordingly, you could also re-teach by using the SST mode if you have it. I know with mine if I'm in stop and go traffic and I'm hard on and off the gas it does get confused at times, and takes a while to smooth out. I will drive in 4th for a while and that helps.

I tried using D4 on mine around town but it still ran funny. Now, since I did the reset, I just use D% all the time and the thing shifts awesome. I was told by some one a while back, and I'm not sure if this is true, that the transmission was probably used to how the previous owner drove it and if they babied the car then the transmission was used to that. Again, not sure how true that is but the reset made a huge difference.

:blah: :blah: :blah:, that the transmission was probably used to how the previous owner drove it and if they babied the car then the transmission was used to that. Again, not sure how true that is but the reset made a huge difference.

Correct.

What this reset is supposed to do is tell the TCU to forget all the shift patterns it learned since it was new/last reset and re-learn everything based on the way the vehicle is driven between the time it is reset and whenever the TCU decides it's learned enough.

I tried using D4 on mine around town but it still ran funny. Now, since I did the reset, I just use D% all the time and the thing shifts awesome. I was told by some one a while back, and I'm not sure if this is true, that the transmission was probably used to how the previous owner drove it and if they babied the car then the transmission was used to that. Again, not sure how true that is but the reset made a huge difference.

Again, it remembers the last 5 or so up shifts, after months of new driver it knows your habits. Doing a reset with the negative battery disconnected for about a half hour can make a improvement, and worth a try.

Members online

No members online now.
Back