chip or tuner??

First off OBD1 vs OBD2, you have to chip anything OBD1... I'd stick with tuner for OBD2 unless you need to switch tunes on the fly.

hey just found out the obd1 thing. is it impossable to reprogram ie reburn or rescan the ecu is that the deal with the obd1? SUCKS!!! ho about dyno tuning do you need a chip before you can even do that? i am guessing you do so they have something to write the new program to? i am doing a freeflow exauhast (xpipe hi flow cats into flo's). and i am doing a cold air box. so now i need to tune it to thoes mods. who do i call what do i do? i would love to do this from home with a laptop and a good cigar!!!!!! (mykind of sunday)

and with obd1 is it possable to do a 2stage switch system where there is a toggle allowing you a street tune with decent tune good milage soft shift points, and then you flip the switch and all he!! breaks loose gos to a more agressive. high shift points timing curve from he!! and maybe change the impedence of the injectors to release more fuel.
is megasquirt the only real tune at home option?

Last edited:
i would love to do this from home with a laptop and a good cigar!!!!!! (mykind of sunday)

You can, it'll take more than "A sunday".
and the cost is about 1000.00 for the hardware and software required to tune your obd1 mark 8.

That is what I paid over 5 years ago when I wanted to burn my own chip.

SO.. unless you want to drop "a grand" on a tuning solution, just get a chip from Lonnie at BlueOvalChips and be done with it.

You can, it'll take more than "A sunday".
and the cost is about 1000.00 for the hardware and software required to tune your obd1 mark 8.

That is what I paid over 5 years ago when I wanted to burn my own chip.

SO.. unless you want to drop "a grand" on a tuning solution, just get a chip from Lonnie at BlueOvalChips and be done with it.

list of stuff you used please i am going to try to find all of it used and over time you said you did this over 5yr ago did you sell your stuff? do you still have it? do you want to sell it?

what computer system dose the 1993 early mk8 use is it the EEC IV

sct prp 329.00
sct chip burner 450.00
sct 6600 4 bank chip 200ish dollars

you can get the software from any sct dealer, doubtful your gonna find what you need used.
sometimes...very rarely the burners surface for sale used...verry rarely

i still have all the hardware..its treasure

all 93-95 Mark 8's are eec 4

there have been some new things released since i got the sct stuff.

the moates quarter horse is advertised for about a third of the sct stuff's price

i've not used it so i cant really assess its capabilities..i do hear from trusted people that it IS good stuff

the moates quarter horse is advertised for about a third of the sct stuff's price

i've not used it so i cant really assess its capabilities..i do hear from trusted people that it IS good stuff

Same. I've been wanting to give it a shot since I can tune 3 of my cars and 2 of my friends cars with it (well tune then burn chips for them anyway..)

The best part about the QuarterHorse stuff is that it DOES datalog EECIV something that SCT cant do...
I wish quarter horse was around when I got started, but since I've moved to an obd2 car that does support datalogging it's a non issue at this point.
It sure would have made the initial learning curve not as steep had I been able to datalog the EEC4

ive been doing some reading i found the used chip with no switch for like $75 the program that is on it is for a fully built car running like 4.56 gears. what does it cost for a good tuner shop to put like 3 custom tunes on this chip (econo/sport/i dont think she can do it captin i need more power)
but i also found this http://www.megamanual.com/index.html i think this is kinda build your own plug and play but not shure you gotta do some clicking as i cant get a direct link but this is the just of it http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/....html?osCsid=9f6dd8e2d7b31f70d8e1d9ac09b705a0

i really would like to learn more about this sort of thing as i have never really done it first hand i have helped someone instal a sys like this in a e30 plus i think there is alot of untapped potental in these m8 dohc 4.6s

So in short-- here's what you need to run ms

•A MegaSquirt, I or II, either will work nicely
•Relay Cable
•MegaEFI EEC-IV Kit (this page)
•Stock Ford EEC-IV ECU (just to steal the connector and case from, it can be a dead ECU from a junkyard Taurus or most other 86-95 Fords

i am completly new to this so what do you guys think you can have a laptop in your passenger seat and tune anything the computer controls
except shift points i think they are still working on that

Megasquirt is a giant leap backwards compared to the stock mark 8 PCM.

You should stick with "tried and true", stuff proven to work with this platform.
There isn't ALOT of hidden potential in the engine side of the PCM {some, but not alot}
BUT..there is ALOT of hidden potential in the transmission functions, and megasquirt wont let you tap ANY of that.

awesome thanks for saving me the search time i will go with quarterhorse stuff once i finish the task at hand

need to make absolutely sure that QuarterHorse has the files needed to support your car BEFORE you purchase it.

Guess I'll find out Saturday. ;)

That'll be the first test. Then if it all works out, I'll be doing some tweaking to the shift points next trip out to the track.

JP, when you start to dial in your shift points take a look at your "split times".
they help figure out where your car's doing good and bad.

sounds strange but split times are a whole different aspect of the pass

JP, when you start to dial in your shift points take a look at your "split times".
they help figure out where your car's doing good and bad.

sounds strange but split times are a whole different aspect of the pass

Doesn't sound strange to me. I see the split times as an indicator of acceleration in each gear.

Members online

No members online now.
Back