Gen 1 fogs on Gen 2 ls?

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Will gen 1 fog lights fit gen 2. They seem nicer or cleaner. They look whiter and the gen 2 are on the clear side. Can I just swap them out or will I have to mess with the wiring

I know people have put gen 2 fogs in a gen 1, and there are some threads with pictures. The bolt locations are different, but it might work.

Will gen 1 fog lights fit gen 2. They seem nicer or cleaner. They look whiter and the gen 2 are on the clear side. Can I just swap them out or will I have to mess with the wiring

I will buy your gen II fogs from you :)

yes - the dimensions are the same - but the mounting it different, so you'll have to rig something up.

Just so you guys get an idea of what I mean by gen 1 fog look cleaner than gen 2. Just a little comparison here.

GEN 1 FOG LIGHTS

lsgen1fogcomp3.jpg

lsgen1fogcomp2.jpg

lsgen1fogcomp1.jpg

GEN 2 FOG LIGHTS

LSgen2fogcomp3.jpg

Lsgen2fogcomp2.jpg

LSgen2fogcomp1.jpg

The gen 2 have only the circular light on the white side and the outer part is clear. On the gen 1 the whole thing looks clear. Do they use different bulb size?

The difference is the Gen 1 has an all crome backround, the Gen 2 is only the circular area around the bulb... I think. Geish, isn't there a better picture of my car LOL...

oh ok. well it makes it looks nicer. Well it showed the fogs at a good angle for comparison. So what do you guys think, gen 1 or gen 2 fogs are nicer.

Alax, in my opinion the gen 2 fog lights fit the gen 2 better.
Also, when you have the fogs on, the light reflection comes off as "round" because of the way the fog light is constructed, which matches the headlights nicely.

Edit: Take a look at my car, you will see what i mean. Don't have all the lights on, but the picture shows it all.

No well its not when they are on that I see the round part. I'm just talking about the look of it in the day time. How the gen1 have more reflection off of it and the gen 2 only on the circular part in the middle. Well I'm just going to try it and take before and after pics. See how it looks and if it doesn't look too god then no harm done, they aren't super expensive.I haven't seen a gen 2 with gen 1 fogs, lets see how it goes.

No well its not when they are on that I see the round part. I'm just talking about the look of it in the day time. How the gen1 have more reflection off of it and the gen 2 only on the circular part in the middle. Well I'm just going to try it and take before and after pics. See how it looks and if it doesn't look too god then no harm done, they aren't super expensive.I haven't seen a gen 2 with gen 1 fogs, lets see how it goes.

In case you wanted to see pic's of the fogs before buying..
The fogs are different... You could put the gen2 in the gen1 but you will have a gap in the top outer edge because the gen2 have a sharper curve. With the gen1 having a more rectangular shape there's no way it will fit in the gen2 bumper.

In case you wanted to see pic's of the fogs before buying..
The fogs are different... You could put the gen2 in the gen1 but you will have a gap in the top outer edge because the gen2 have a sharper curve. With the gen1 having a more rectangular shape there's no way it will fit in the gen2 bumper.

Here is a pic of the gen2 in my 00LS. There is a 3/8" gap in the top outer edge because of the sharper curve of the gen2 fogs.

Damn. I was all excited.Thanks for the info

I dont think they would flow. The Gen 2 fogs flow better with the design of the Gen 2 Headlights.

The squareness or the chrome inside? Yeah but picturing it and seeing it actually on is diff, just wanted to see if it really should stay gen 2 fogs on gen 2, but guess it wont happen

The squareness or the chrome inside? Yeah but picturing it and seeing it actually on is diff, just wanted to see if it really should stay gen 2 fogs on gen 2, but guess it wont happen

I seen enough of both in person. Its something about the design that makes those fogs fit. Cant explain it, might be the large low beam small high beam and the wider black bezel. Im not sure what it is but to me it fits just fine, better than the Gen 1's and vise versa thinking about it. I always wanted to do the swap but now Im leaning against as I say this:shifty:

Yeah looks like as a whole the car might look better. I thought the gen 1 fog itself looks nicer than gen 2 just cause it all has the chrome and not just the circle in the middle. The gen 1 looks clean and crisp and then I look at gen 2 fog and it look more on the dull side

Damn. I was all excited.Thanks for the info

thanks for the info!

No problem, I had this new gen2 fog from years back when I wanted to switch my 2000 LS over to round fogs only to find it would'nt work. I only paid $5 for it so no great loss. You may be able to take apart the lens and paint the inner black surround silver to give it the brighter appearance you are looking for. I will try taking this one apart and if it works I will post a pic.

No problem, I had this new gen2 fog from years back when I wanted to switch my 2000 LS over to round fogs only to find it would'nt work. I only paid $5 for it so no great loss. You may be able to take apart the lens and paint the inner black surround silver to give it the brighter appearance you are looking for. I will try taking this one apart and if it works I will post a pic.

+1, color match the blackish like part! Good idea!

Here's some pic's of the gen2 fog w/silver surround: (Love it or hate it, there it is). If you notice the frosted spots at the outer lip of the lens, it just because the lens has not been resealed w/silicone.

Members online

Back