Low Fuel Dinger

DUH, by listening to those that have more experience with the issue than yourself.

DURRRRRRRR...URRRRRRR huhuhuurrrrrrrr.

Its been long time common knowledge that you dont run "in-tank" fuel pumps low on fuel.. for more than 1 reason.

But if you feel like vacuuming the crap out of your tank and pumping it thru your fuel system, far be it from me to stop you..

DUUURRRRRRRRRR.

durrrrr i enjoy changing my fuel filter, i like to dump it out into a plastic cup and watch it melt

Just a heads up on people worrying about how low it can go, I regularly drive on empty, not smart, I know, but after it hits 0 you can go about 15 more actual miles before it really runs out. Mine does anyway, I've ran out of gas 4 times in this car.
But you get about 15 after it hits 0 before it stops moving.

You make the mistake of assuming that all LSes are exactly like yours. Unfortunately, there is production variance. I have two. On my 04, empty means empty. I know this because at 25 miles to go, it takes 17 gallons to fill it up. On my 06, at 25 miles to go, it takes less than 16 gallons to fill it. Gas gauges aren't 100% accurate.

For those wondering... I always stop at the next convenient gas station after the 50 miles to go alarm. Usually, this is within ten miles, but sometimes it has been thirty or so.

You make the mistake of assuming that all LSes are exactly like yours. Unfortunately, there is production variance. I have two. On my 04, empty means empty. I know this because at 25 miles to go, it take 17 gallons to fill it up. On my 06, at 25 miles to go, it takes less than 16 gallons to fill it. Gas gauges aren't 100% accurate.

For those wondering... I always stop at the next convenient gas station after the 50 miles to go alarm. Usually, this is within ten miles, but sometimes it has been thirty or so.

not to mention the fact, if it says 0 miles til empty, why risk having to sit on the side of the road, and have to walk to the nearest gas station with the red can, lol i dont let it go under 15 miles to empty ever

and I dont give a F*CK what "car and driver does".
we're not racing MAGAZINE...

I've put probably 2000 more passes on my car than their entire combined passes put together.

I know where your coming from and just like you I don't give a rat's asss what they do either, but they do it for a reason..show exagerated numbers for potential customers.. and that would be a better timeslip

but just like you..my data doesn't lie..I went and have gone faster with less gas in the tank in more than just a few cars..and in this particular scenario with the 1.2 mph trap increase, the conditons at the track were near identical...temp,humidity, track conditions and same elevation

and just like you...I've been putting passes down the 1320 for nearly 30 years

You make the mistake of assuming that all LSes are exactly like yours. Unfortunately, there is production variance. I have two. On my 04, empty means empty. I know this because at 25 miles to go, it takes 17 gallons to fill it up. On my 06, at 25 miles to go, it takes less than 16 gallons to fill it. Gas gauges aren't 100% accurate.

with 50 miles til empty your probably sitting on 2 gallons of gas the guage can "see" and 1 gallon that the guage cant see..nor can the pump use properly.

But with 2-3 gallons in the tank you very likely still have the pump submerged thus being cooled, which should be no issue.

Which is why the low fuel warning is at 50 miles.

2-3 gallons in the tank under normal driving probably isn't a bad thing.

2-3 gallons at the dragstrip is a bad idea..the fuel sloshes to the rear of the tank..on the mark 8 (not sure about LS) the fuel pickup is NOT in the rear of the tank.

running around habitually with 2-3 gallons in the tank and the normal fuel sloshing will probably harm the pump over the long term, wheras refilling at or close to the 50 mile warning probably wouldn't

(disengage novel mode)

DUH, by listening to those that have more experience with the issue than yourself.

DURRRRRRRR...URRRRRRR huhuhuurrrrrrrr.

Its been long time common knowledge that you dont run "in-tank" fuel pumps low on fuel.. for more than 1 reason.

But if you feel like vacuuming the crap out of your tank and pumping it thru your fuel system, far be it from me to stop you..

DUUURRRRRRRRRR.

LOL, your comical. Get a little resistance and you get seemingly all pissy. Surprised you didn't type, M'kay anywhere.;)

While I totally agree with you and everyone else that says do not run the pump low, it doesn't necessarily mean that the pump is going to "grenade" in the tank if you do run dry.

LOL, your comical. Get a little resistance and you get seemingly all pissy. Surprised you didn't type, M'kay anywhere.;)

While I totally agree with you and everyone else that says do not run the pump low, it doesn't necessarily mean that the pump is going to "grenade" in the tank if you do run dry.

XLRVIII should right a book, he would probally feel better, :confused:

Glad I don't have the message center beeping at me. I usually get 17 gallons at a fill up and have put in as much as 17.6 gallons (hate stopping before 450 miles and have gone as far as 500). I guess the fuels been clean and the V6 doesn't tax the pump because I'm at 125,000 on the original filter and pump.

2000 V6/ 5 speed manual

with 50 miles til empty your probably sitting on 2 gallons of gas the guage can "see" and 1 gallon that the guage cant see..nor can the pump use properly.

But with 2-3 gallons in the tank you very likely still have the pump submerged thus being cooled, which should be no issue.

Which is why the low fuel warning is at 50 miles.

2-3 gallons in the tank under normal driving probably isn't a bad thing.

2-3 gallons at the dragstrip is a bad idea..the fuel sloshes to the rear of the tank..on the mark 8 (not sure about LS) the fuel pickup is NOT in the rear of the tank.

running around habitually with 2-3 gallons in the tank and the normal fuel sloshing will probably harm the pump over the long term, wheras refilling at or close to the 50 mile warning probably wouldn't

(disengage novel mode)

very true...you don't want to starve the motor at WOT.. that's a very bad thing

(disengage novel mode)....LOL

then again the car is FWD so the weight of the fuel didn't effect traction...that's why my 60 ft stayed consistent

did anybody catch this? i dont know what kind of ls you have but all of our ls' are rwd. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine who purchased a "01 Mustang Bullitt off of the lot new installed a procharger P1SC supercharger setup only about a year after he bought it. He was racing another friends Mustang at the street races and about 3rd gear, the car noses over and dies. He had totally fried two pistons and some valves after he had ran out of gas during the run which of course leaned the engine way out.:p

The sad or funny thing is my friend removed the supercharger setup and actually tried to get Ford to cover the engine under warranty saying he didn't know what happened.

They caught on to him though when doing some investigation and found that the CPU's external port and been tampered with, colder spark plugs and a hole in the air box where he had had a nitrous nozzle installed previously. Man was he ripped!!:lol: .......$$$$$$

So yeah, Don't run the tank low!

I have a easy fix for that dinger for you guys... get in the habit of filling the tank up with the needle reads 1/4 tank (or 80-90 miles to empty)

[/end thread]

and I dont give a F*CK what "car and driver does".
we're not racing MAGAZINE...

I've put probably 2000 more passes on my car than their entire combined passes put together.

yet you run 14's and trap double digits?

GREAT PASSES MAN!
lolsroyce.gif

where does it say srt4 in this thread? please point this out to me

Get a little resistance and you get seemingly all pissy..

nah, just holding a damned baby food spoon all day, spoon feeding n00bs that are too lazy or stupid to SEARCH gets a little loathesome.

then those same n00bs wanna split hairs armed with bad information and then they want to pass that bad information on to other people...

shruggs

just a typical day sp00nfeeding n00bs on LVC that's all

m'kay?
lol

nah, just holding a damned baby food spoon all day, spoon feeding n00bs that are too lazy or stupid to SEARCH gets a little loathesome.

then those same n00bs wanna split hairs armed with bad information and then they want to pass that bad information on to other people...

shruggs

m'kay?
lol

thanks, im not hungry any more

shruggs

m'kay?
lol

LOL! Did you apply for that job? How much do they pay you for that? ;)

j/k

Members online

Back