Low Fuel Dinger

cannons_custom

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, dumb question.
I don't fill up my car until its damn near empty unless it's winter. I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to disengage that annoying dinger that goes off all the time when your at 1/4 tank or lower.

true pressing the button named F U E L
then press R E S E T

there you go :-D

Well duh. I get sick of hitting the reset button everytime I start my car or while i'm driving.

Thanks for the obvious temp fix though :wrench

I wanted a way to disable it completely.

It's easy -- Refill the gas tank.

Don't be surprised when your fuel pump fails if you run it almost out of fuel much of the time.

+1...

running the tank low is very very bad for the electric fuel pump.

you've been warned... many times.
twice by real people, and numerous times by "the dinger"

Yeah I hate the low fuel dinger too! And you can't just hit reset right away, you have to wait like 1-2 seconds otherwise reset won't clear the message center :(

Mine only goes off a couple times. It goes off the first time, then maybe the second time before I get to the gas station.

It's just as easy to keep it full as it is to keep it empty.

Except at full there's no annoying beep.

Ok, dumb question.
I don't fill up my car until its damn near empty unless it's winter. I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to disengage that annoying dinger that goes off all the time when your at 1/4 tank or lower.

It doesn't alert at 1/4 tank. In the V6 you get a 2ish gallon warning and in the V8 you get a 50, 40, 35 (I'm not sure from here as 35 was the lowest I tried once) miles to empty warning.

And, running it that low will cause premature fuel or transfer pump failure. The fuel is what cools the electric pumps.

a couple days ago was the lowest I had ever let it get. 9 miles to empty :eek:

Just the way things worked, and how busy I was. I HATE letting it get below 50 miles til empty.

It doesn't alert at 1/4 tank. In the V6 you get a 2ish gallon warning and in the V8 you get a 50, 40, 35 (I'm not sure from here as 35 was the lowest I tried once) miles to empty warning.

And, running it that low will cause premature fuel or transfer pump failure. The fuel is what cools the electric pumps.

true, never run it too low...but a completely full tank on the other hand cuts down on performance and fuel efficiency because your carrying around more weight....if that matters to you

It doesn't alert at 1/4 tank. In the V6 you get a 2ish gallon warning and in the V8 you get a 50, 40, 35 (I'm not sure from here as 35 was the lowest I tried once) miles to empty warning. ...

I've spent some effort trying to figure out the warning interval. On my Grand Marquis, it was 50, 25, 10, and 5. The LS is different, the miles to go (other than the initial 50) seem to vary. I believe that what it does is that once you are below 50, it repeats the warning every xx minutes (I haven't timed it), not every xx miles.

true, never run it too low...but a completely full tank on the other hand cuts down on performance and fuel efficiency because your carrying around more weight....if that matters to you

I've gotten my best ET's at the track with a full tank of fuel.

The scenario is three fold
1. with a full tank the fuel pump doesnt have to work hard to pull the fuel into the pump

2. on my car, the gas tanks location is OPTIMUM for weight transfer
(located directly infront of the rear axle)

3. gas isn't THAT heavy....

lowest I ever got was 41 miles left and funny thing is my 1/4 tank is at 70-90 considering my driving habits so I never see the dinger til it reaches 50 or below.....you must be bad driver if your 1/4 tank is a dinger......

I've gotten my best ET's at the track with a full tank of fuel.

The scenario is three fold
1. with a full tank the fuel pump doesnt have to work hard to pull the fuel into the pump

2. on my car, the gas tanks location is OPTIMUM for weight transfer
(located directly infront of the rear axle)

3. gas isn't THAT heavy....

I've picked up 1.2 mph in my trap running a half tank vs. running a full tank at the track... but my 60 ft. stayed the same...which means I picked up the speed on the back half...which is where power to weight comes into play

then again the car is FWD so the weight of the fuel didn't effect traction...that's why my 60 ft stayed consistent

all the leading car publications such as Car & Driver, Road & Track etc. do their performance based tests with a half tank of gas

Just a heads up on people worrying about how low it can go, I regularly drive on empty, not smart, I know, but after it hits 0 you can go about 15 more actual miles before it really runs out. Mine does anyway, I've ran out of gas 4 times in this car.
But you get about 15 after it hits 0 before it stops moving.

At ~8 pounds per gallon that's less than 150 pounds.

150 pounds in a power challenged car like the LS is quite substantial... go to the track, do one run with your spare in the trunk and one without, and that's alot less than 150 lbs.. guaranteed you pick up trap or lower your ET

as long as traction is not a mitigating factor, because your removing the weight from the rear...but than again.. with the LS, it shouldn't be

At ~8 pounds per gallon that's less than 150 pounds.

depending on the blend of fuel it's between 5.3 and 6.2 lbs per gallon
multiplied times 18 (for a mark 8 tank) is 105lbs.

Now..every 100lbs is worth a tenth in the quarter mile

BUT.. like I said.. the best passes my car ever made were on FULL tanks of gas.

I can datalog the car with low fuel versus full tank and the difference IS measureable in the acceleration rate.
The car pulls almost a full MPH per second higher than when low on fuel.

With that said.
In JULY with a full tank of gas my car ran 14.79
Last week in 60 degree air with 4 gallons of gas the car went 14.90

THAT is significant..considering July was 100 degree's and last week was 60 degree's..
YET.. my car ran faster in 100 degree heat with a full tank than it did in 60 degree air with little or no fuel in the tank.

the data simply doesnt lie....

and I dont give a F*CK what "car and driver does".
we're not racing MAGAZINE...

I've put probably 2000 more passes on my car than their entire combined passes put together.

because your removing the weight from the rear...

Well with the LS, which this discussion references that may be true

on my car, the tank is just forward of the rear axle, which is the optimum spot to take advantage of weight transfer.

Just a heads up on people worrying about how low it can go, I regularly drive on empty, not smart, I know, but after it hits 0 you can go about 15 more actual miles before it really runs out. Mine does anyway, I've ran out of gas 4 times in this car.
But you get about 15 after it hits 0 before it stops moving.

this is good to know, but i wouldnt trust the car if it says 0 miles to empty and then drive another 15 lol

15 miles at 60 MPH is 15 minutes.

15 minutes with the insides of your pump getting destroyed is "not a good thing to know".

this should read....
The top 10 things you dont do to your fuel pump

DUH, by listening to those that have more experience with the issue than yourself.

DURRRRRRRR...URRRRRRR huhuhuurrrrrrrr.

Its been long time common knowledge that you dont run "in-tank" fuel pumps low on fuel.. for more than 1 reason.

But if you feel like vacuuming the crap out of your tank and pumping it thru your fuel system, far be it from me to stop you..

DUUURRRRRRRRRR.

Members online

No members online now.
Back