LVCers.. I humbly need your advice

nsjuice

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
97 Mark.

I stopped to get coffee this morning and all of the sudden, while driving my car starts bogging. It's worst from a stop, like it's backfiring.

Driving during lunch, she is still doing the same.. except now, the check engine light is on.

Now, I'm guessing it's the plugs.. and hoping it's not a Coil Pack. Are there distinct ways to figure out which is at fault here?

I don't have a code reader, and i don't have any tools with me at work. I'm just trying to get an idea so I can get things ready to fix her up before the day's end.. I need to go out of town this weekend.

If there there aren't any ways to troubleshoot without the use of tools, what should I look for?

I remember reading on here about cracked boots from the coils or something.

Any help is appreciated.

Coils are cheap as are boots. If you are getting a misfire I would replace the boots and plugs and go from there.

Head over to Advance Auto, or checker's (I am Biased here), and have them read the codes.

Then let us know what they are.

MIke

advanced auto sells the boots for about 5 bucks a piece
If you have one bad one, replace them all.. especially if your going on a trip.

If I were you I'd throw a set of plugs and boots at it.. tonight or before the trip.

otherwise your asking for trouble embarking on a journey with a car that aint happy

If you can get the guys at advanced to read the codes, you can put the boots on in the parking lot

you only need a 10mm to get the coil cover off
and a flat heat screw driver to get the intake tube off

it'd take about 20 minutes tops, and you can probably borrow a 10mm socket and screw driver from the auto parts store

Thanks fellas. Ill ask the parts store to read the codes for me.

Should I entrust in their analysis after the codes?

Thanks fellas. Ill ask the parts store to read the codes for me.

Should I entrust in their analysis after the codes?

Usually, the guys at parts stores BS about half the info advice they give. Hit LVC up. These guys know their $#!+.

get the code then swith the coil from the bad cylinder with one from another and see if the computer throws a code for that cylinder if it does replace the coil.

Thanks for all the input.

With my luck I was just expecting the worst.

I replaced the plugs and boots on all cylinders.

I must say they were flooded with oil.

Time to replace that gasket I've been reading about on here.

It runs fine now. Better than before. Especially at idle.

Those plugs and coils were fried. I'm assuming it's due to the oil?

And by the way, none of the places I went to did free check engine light testigng
Autozone and kragens.

I'm from Cali that's all there was open late enough.

I just figured I open her up and to from there.

good job getting it sorted out, and yes..oil in the plug wells will kill the coil boots ans cause a dead short missfire

Okay to be clear here, the issue was infact the plug boots on the plug side of the wire? So the hole had a bunch of oil in it and ruined the boots right. Is this more common on a certain bank of the engine or on both?

Okay to be clear here, the issue was infact the plug boots on the plug side of the wire? So the hole had a bunch of oil in it and ruined the boots right. Is this more common on a certain bank of the engine or on both?

his is a gen 2 there is no "plug wire" its a coil on plug system (COP's) so all it has is a boot with a spring inside of it from the coil to the plug. the boots get soaked with oil and the boot breaks down due to oil saturation. id imagine its possible on a gen 1 with wires but dont seem to see that much.

Ahh okay. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was just trying to utilize this post to help me and maybe others in the future. Thank you.

I noticed one of the wells was dry. But only one. Weird thing was it was the only one that has an aftermarket coil pack, not motorcraft like the rest of the packs.

wondering how long before those packs give out. I think I saw a pricing for one and it's 100+$ ?

mine had some oil in one spark plug hole one time Scared me big time ohhh man I thought what the heck I tightened all the bolts holding the head down and got a little twist on them and it seemed to work

I noticed one of the wells was dry. But only one. Weird thing was it was the only one that has an aftermarket coil pack, not motorcraft like the rest of the packs.

wondering how long before those packs give out. I think I saw a pricing for one and it's 100+$ ?
A complete set of Accel coils costs $200.

and are no better than the stock coils, and they wont last as long either.

The stock coils are heads and shoulders better than Accel

I don't think I have seen them as cheap though. If you know where I can get stockers cheaper, let me know as I will be replacing mine soon.

Members online

No members online now.
Back