Computer swap question

NoLimit95

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a computer that I took out of the 93 setting in the garage. The catch code on it is W3Z3.

The one in my 94 has a catch code on it of Z4HO.

Question is, would any of you swap them out to have a better tune? If so, what would be the way to do it in steps? I already know how to swap them and I know the battery needs to be disconnected. Once it's in and ready for the battery to be connected back, what do I need to do from there? I searched for this but really wasn't getting anywhere.

If I do swap them, what's supposed to be the benefit all in all?

I have a catch code of W3Z2 which is supposed to be the most aggressive... I think the only benefit lies in the shift points and slightly increased timing.

I have a catch code of W3Z2 which is supposed to be the most aggressive... I think the only benefit lies in the shift points and slightly increased timing.

So would I have a slightly higher idle along with better shift points? This is a bone stock 94 btw.

I stll need to know what to do after the swap as far as starting it and letting it idle for a few minutes or just crank and go?

you wouldn't have a higher idle, you would have slightly more agressive timing if the 93 tune is really that different. I agree with KK, get a chip - this swap is arguably indistinguishable.

Before I got the last two replies, I went ahead and put it in, connected the battery and then it sat there for about 5 min while I put some stuff away and then I turned the key over to ACC and the cooling fan came on??? I thought maybe it had to set for a few minutes maybe and then the fan would go off and be ready to crank but all it would do is turn over. It never would crank up at all and the cooling fan would still run no matter how I tried doing it. I just took it back out and put mine back in and now it's running fine again. That was a waste of time!

Learned 2 things today lol. That computer will not work in my car and I need transmission fluid flushed into my power steering lines and pump because I changed out the rack last week and had a fluid loss. When I got the rack swapped out, I added power steering fluid, not transmission fluid.:rolleyes: I'll get it done tomorrow. Thanks for the input about a chip for a better tune but I was only doing the swap to see if something better was going to happen, I'm not trying to get out here and race at the track or anything.

It never would crank up at all and the cooling fan would still run no matter how I tried doing it. I just took it back out and put mine back in and now it's running fine again. That was a waste of time!

Weird. Oh well, was worth a shot.

Nothing is a waste of time if you learn something from it - you have now shown that 93 - 95 OBD I computers won't necessarily swap, for whatever reason. (different pin outs, perhaps?) That is very useful info - especially if you want to sell the spare computer.

Weird. Oh well, was worth a shot.

Nothing is a waste of time if you learn something from it - you have now shown that 93 - 95 OBD I computers won't necessarily swap, for whatever reason. (different pin outs, perhaps?) That is very useful info - especially if you want to sell the spare computer.

True Martin about learning something. W3Z3 will not work in the place of a Z4HO! All it will do is run the cooling fan from the get go with the key turned on to ACC. Will not start the car. It just sets there turning over like it's has no gas. I know the 93 computer is good for a fact because it was running fine before the engine and trans was pulled. I checked the pins and all of them were in the same exact spots as the other. I guess the pins just do different things, I have no clue but yes, it was worth a shot. It's not like it took hours to do. Maybe the W3Z3 will sell on ebay or something.

Tiff's 94 has w3z2 processor from her 94 in it and it works just fine.
her stock PCM code was z4ho as well.

There is alot of difference calibration-wise between w3z2 and z4ho
The rev limit is about 800 RPM's higher
There is about 8-10 degree's more WOT spark.
Shift points are basicly the same.

It's a common swap, works well for a stock car.

Dunno why yours didn't work, but as I said.. I've done this swap myself and it indeed works.

I've not ran into anything like you describe in the MANY early to late first gen PCM swaps.

I did have that happen with a DZA1 chip install, turned out to be a dirty connection.

w3z2 and w3z3 as nearly indentical calibration wise.
I seriously doubt there is a "pin out" difference...between 93-94 or 95.

Like I said, I have no idea why yours didn't work...but this has been done serveral times by more than 10 people in the past.

*shruggs*

I'd suspect that PCM is bad..

I guess it's possible the PCM could be bad. Something might have happened to it during the crash but all of that was over on the pass side door and rear quarter. I thought maybe I had to do it in some sort of sequence and I know I had it plugged in all the way and the 10mm was bolted tight. I was gonna list it on ebay but not now if it could be a bad one. I was hoping you'd been around yesterday before I done it but either way, it's not working for me.

this swap is arguably indistinguishable.

indistinguishable?

w3z3 WOT spark
6000.000 27.0
5000.000 24.0
3500.000 23.0
3150.000 19.0
3050.000 14.0
2500.000 12.0
2000.000 12.0

w3z2 WOT Spark

6000.000 32.8
5000.000 29.0
3500.000 26.5
3150.000 22.3
3050.000 17.0
2500.000 15.0
2000.000 13.0

W3z3 Rev Limit 6450

W3z2 Rev limit 6850

W3z3 1-2 shift 5600
w3z2 1-2 shift 5600

w3z2 speed limit (driveshaft revs) 16372= no speed limiter
w3z3 speed limit (driveshaft revs) 5400 = max speed limited!

Shift pressure on the w3z2 PCM is about 15 PSI higher as well, for a more solid, quick shift.

These are the basic differences, that most people would understand.
There are other differences, but too much to type for info that most wouldn't understand.

I guess it's possible the PCM could be bad. Something might have happened to it during the crash but all of that was over on the pass side door and rear quarter. I thought maybe I had to do it in some sort of sequence and I know I had it plugged in all the way and the 10mm was bolted tight. I was gonna list it on ebay but not now if it could be a bad one. I was hoping you'd been around yesterday before I done it but either way, it's not working for me.

Find another first gen to drop it into.. chances are it's a bad PCM..sorry to say.
That's a "GOOD ONE" too...dangit.

if you get a tuner you can program it to your setting

there is no "tuner" for a 93-95 mark 8 EEC iv PCM.

your only solution is a chip and burner from SCT
or the moates quarterhorse which also requires a chip.

"tuners" are for obd2 cars such as the 96-98 Mark 8.

Hey KK if someone bought that chip could it then be programmed for their specific car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back