Exhaust

ssmoparviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered a number of times but I am starting to price out exhaust parts and work. I have a pic that I printed from here along time ago of the underside of a Mark with a, what I call, a double x-pipe. It looks like some braided piece of pipe work in place of the third cat. What I was wondering is that needed or will an regular x-pipe work? I would even wonder if I should use just an h-pipe or just go for the true dual exhaust with no "x" or "h"? Also what is the best mufflers to use for the Mark? I am looking for sorta quite at idle and cruising speed and full on sound a W.O.T. so everyone knows that Im coming.

you could try magnaflows, thats what i have on my mark8, they sound good, check on youtube for videos

Ugh.
You need a x-over pipe of some sort or the car will drone and lose hp, you need a scavenging effect with these long pipes. I never see a Mark with an H-pipe and that tells me there are drone issues with them. A double x-pipe cancels the noise the best (aside from a centr resonator) to keep in cabin noise down and drone to a minimum.
Muffler is all in personal taste, none are really better then the other (flow wise) its just sound. Go on Youtube and search for MarkVIII Exhaust and you will hear SCP, LMS, Flomaster, Magnaflow, Borla (my favorite) and even some no muffler cars.
I have tried to piece it together cause I prefer chambered mufflers but for the price you cant beat Genos (LMS) setup. Its only $300 shipped for the stainless mufflers and the double x-pipe, I cant build one that cheap.Also ebay has the rest of the pipes needed already mandrel bent for $150. You will need a shop to install it though as a couple small sections need to be fabbed (from the cats to the x-pipe) and the hangers need to be welded in.

The LMS exhaust:
YouTube - lincoln mark viii qx4 catback exhaust.

The Flowmasters:
YouTube - 96 mark viii stock exhaust and flowmasters

SCP exhaust:
YouTube - Super Coupe Performance Mark VIII Exhaust

Borla exhaust:
YouTube - Borla Exhuast Lincoln

I have a maganflow dual in dual out with built in x pipe. Dollar for dollar its a tough setup to beat IMO.

I have a maganflow dual in dual out with built in x pipe. Dollar for dollar its a tough setup to beat IMO.

I was gonna go that route but havent you been through 3 of them cause they keep rotting out?

Thanks laser for the advice and the Youtube clips... I now have a very good idea of what direction to go. Once again thanks.

I have flowmaster with X-pipe in place of 3rd cat. Here are a couple vids. First is just like the others above, second is a 0-100 run inside the car. I have no drone what so ever.

My 94 has dyno max bullets in place of stock muffs, everything else is stock... and it drones like a mofo, even around town at 35mph.

YouTube - Mark 8 exhaust

YouTube - 97 Mark

Chadly!!! That is PERFECT! Thats the exact tone I wanted inside and out! Love the second gear scratch too. :lol:
What series Flowmaster? What size? Whos x-pipe? Mufflers, center in/out? How long of a tip did you get? Is that a single x?

i have the lms mufflers with a double x pipe. they were ok when new but after about 2 months the drone was so terrible i can't hardly stand it. I dynamated the whole car and it's better, but still bad enough i would like to change it.

Chadly!!! That is PERFECT! Thats the exact tone I wanted inside and out! Love the second gear scratch too. :lol:
What series Flowmaster? What size? Whos x-pipe? Mufflers, center in/out? How long of a tip did you get? Is that a single x?

If I remember correctly they are the super 40, center out, 2 chamber, 2.25" in/out.

The tips are 4" reactive tips that were cut off so they would be about 1/4" past the bumper. They were LONG and hung out like 8" from the bumper but my buddy was doing the work and hooked me up. Cut them to length and welded them to the muffs so they fit perfect.

The X pipe I found at a yardsale in a trailer park in NC for $20. Couldnt tell you what kind it is or anything, but it was new in the plastic and cheap.

The screach is always fun, and surprises a lot of people too.

Our kit is now $275.00 shipped and Gold members pay $249.99.

From watching the videos I really like the sound of your exhaust system... And at that price I'm starting to lean more toward you product... Once again thanks for all the good info on exhaust for the Mark everyone... This is really helping in my decide what I'm going to do.

i have the lms mufflers with a double x pipe. they were ok when new but after about 2 months the drone was so terrible i can't hardly stand it. I dynamated the whole car and it's better, but still bad enough i would like to change it.

If your still getting drone its from the harmonics of the piping because is such a long stretch.

We always tell people when they get it installed to weld flat stock across the two pipes every 6 inches or so to "solidify" the piping so the pipes will not hum/drone. If I failed to tell you this I apologize.

Ask anyone else about or system and drone. Its actually the most drone free set up I have heard yet.

Geno, $250 is a stellar price for members! Do you have the x pipes back in stock yet? And is this just a short time special or the new price? I really need tires but may try and stretch them a bit longer if this is a short term thing.

I thought your car was Grey? That sure looks like an Evergreen 97 LSC in that video.

I thought your car was Grey? That sure looks like an Evergreen 97 LSC in that video.

it is grey

DSC000451024x768.jpg

You can get an x pipe off ebay for 40 bucks, i have one in place of my 3rd cat and LMS mufflers out the back.

i get compliments on it all the time, sounds deep and strong on WOT but if im light with my foot its quiet

No rasp, very little if any drone. I had straight pipes on it (garbage for an LSC with dual exhaust and 3rd cat deleted with x pipe) i've also had a 93 with flowmasters (ok but lots of drone) and a 98 base with straight pipes all cats in place, no resonator. (sounds ok, but to mustangy/ricerish sometimes)

oh and geno i need you to fix my one muffler now that i think about it. I'll be in touch via PM.

If your still getting drone its from the harmonics of the piping because is such a long stretch.

We always tell people when they get it installed to weld flat stock across the two pipes every 6 inches or so to "solidify" the piping so the pipes will not hum/drone. If I failed to tell you this I apologize.

Ask anyone else about or system and drone. Its actually the most drone free set up I have heard yet.

That makes some sense. I will definitely try that, hadn't heard or seen that before.

oh and geno i need you to fix my one muffler now that i think about it. I'll be in touch via PM.

NP were almost done moving into the new shop and the welder and bender is last so towards the end of Sept. hit me up for sure.

sounds good bro, should only take your dude like 5 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back