Blew the cobra intake manifold up!

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, the WOT switch malfunctioned and the fuel solenoid starting dumping tons of fuel into the motor. Black smoke started coming out the tail pipes and I parked it in the driveway and was gonna have it towed to Kustom Motorsports (my buddies shop) in the morning. Well I decided to move it from the driveway to the street, fired it it up and BOOOM! Blew the upper plenum right off the lower manifold. Lower is completely fine and so is the intake tube... luckily there was no nitrous bottle in the car so nitrous wasn't being dumped into the motor just fuel.

Something doesnt really add up here.

A properly installed nitrous kit cannot fire the fuel solenoid, when the system is turned off.

With no nitrous bottle in the car, any reasonable person would have the system deactivated, making the WOT switch inactive.

Also, a leaking fuel soleniod wont cause a manifold explosion.

There is more to this story,... the OP is leaving out.

it's either 1 of 2 things

1 improper installation
2 improper use

I've had a leaking fuel soleniod on my carbed car, it didn't explode.
The manifold got so much fuel in it, it had displaced the oxygen...no oxygen, no combustion.

Whatever he was doing with this improper installed, or mis-used nitrous kit, is probably what "Nuked" his cats as well.

Wierd! Doesn`t make sense.

no it doesnt... at all.

Over the course of about 4 years, I spent about 4500.00 on nitrous refills.
I'm pretty danged familiar with "what does happen and why" and what "cannot happen and why".

there is definately some missing info that was omitted for whatever reason

Man I love my Zex dry kit. works great no micro switch to f with.
Also MANY MANY bottles refills here. I'm hooked. Its like crack

Last edited:
Something doesnt really add up here.

A properly installed nitrous kit cannot fire the fuel solenoid, when the system is turned off.

With no nitrous bottle in the car, any reasonable person would have the system deactivated, making the WOT switch inactive.

Also, a leaking fuel soleniod wont cause a manifold explosion.

There is more to this story,... the OP is leaving out.

The nitrous system was accidently activated but if the WOT switch didn't malfunction everything would be fine

If the system was activated it wasn't the WOT switch that malfunctioned..the operator did

With the system armed, the nitrous/fuel solenoids should not open unless I go WOT, that's what the WOT switch is for. I didn't go WOT, not even close...

installation error...

sorry this isn't gonna be ANOTHER one of those "million to one" failures.
you used up that excuse with "6 oz of techron melted my cats" story.

seriously..everything here was either installed by or operated by you.
You want to perpetrate some mystical WOT switch "failure"?

Like I said, it's one of two things

1 operator error
2 installation error
Sounds like you covered both 1 and 2

I think it was a faulty WOT switch because I've been having issues with it since I had the system installed with the nitrous cutting in and out etc. It's not that hard to install one, it either works or doesn't, it's not rocket science... either way the damage is done fortunatelly for me my pockets are deep enough to get another manifold and get the car back on the road and track soon...

XLRVIII:Hi my name is tommy, I blew up a 302 about 4 or 5 times with nitrous.

Crowd(except 98LSC32V) HI TOMMY!

Everyone to 98LSC32V: Have a seat over there and tell us a little about yourself.

Sounds to me like you need a "third line" of protection.

You need to get a MSD window switch and have a separate switch for it.
dont wire it to that switch you can "accidently" arm.

that way you dont have any mystical mishaps in the future when you DO actually have a nitrous bottle in the car.

Your the first person who I've ever heard grenade an engine without having a bottle in the car.

Since I was once a budding NawwsUser..I'll give you my best guess of the actual events as they might have taken place.

Based on the fact that you've previously stated your car is a dog out of the hole, and comes on like a freight train later on..

I "surmize" that you've been exploring what we call "The Limbo".
"HOW LOW CAN YOU GO"?
My guess is you sprayed it at someplace below 2500RPM's

Well ya tumbled and fell on yer butt, no big deal.
It happens.

Just for conversations sake..
My 302 stick car @ 150shot "sneezed" at anything bellow 1700.
DO NOT SPRAY YOUR CAR DOWN THERE
{for the benefit of any lurking or future readers)

I have never sprayed the car below 3000rpm, I haven't even sprayed it once with the cobra intake setup. And I didn't blow the motor, just the upper plenum...

Still wana see pics of what a blown up lenum looks like.

Members online

Back