ILLS disappeared?

nah, not yet. But at least it's a place that he's visited in the last week, so hopefully that one will get responded to. Otherwise that tune $$ is down the drain, and I have to buy tunes from Torrie.

glad he's not in the slammer!

I just received the tunes for the sct for my ls. He emailed me today. I cant wait to load them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still havent heard back about my issue. Sounds like he is intentionally avoiding me, and purposely not responding to my communication attempts.

Alax7, hopefully everything is perfect as of right now. Because come a few months from now, don't expect any type of support from him.

I still havent heard back about my issue. Sounds like he is intentionally avoiding me, and purposely not responding to my communication attempts.

I know your disappointed in the service you received, but you really should consider something.
ILLS has written tunes for MANY Lincoln LS'.

It's very doubtful the tune file he sent to you is "very different" from all the other tunes he's written.

Chances are you're dealing with a fuel delivery issue, and it's not a problem WITH the actual tune file.

Granted this is no excuse for ignoring you, but I see this alot with various tuners and various cars. 99% of them are no issue.
Then there is ONE that "rears it's ugly head" and has problems.
Does that mean there is a problem with the tune?
99% of the time, no.

In order for a car to properly respond to a performance tune it has to be in proper working order.
Something simple like a weak fuel pump can cause EXACTLY what you describe.

If the tuner feels the customer is resistant to troubleshooting the problem, which MIGHT MEAN spending a significant amount of money to find and fix the problem. Then he might have decided that he's already talked to you enough to make any further troubleshooting a "loss".

SCT dealers make right at 100.00 selling a tune file on an Xcal.
the cost of the Xcal is double what they make.
They literally have to spend 200.00 to make 100.00

If they spend one hour talking to the customer either "presale or post sale"
then they have made ZERO dollars.

Based on your replys to the suggestions people gave you in the "detonation" thread, I can see why {not justify why} but UNDERSTAND why ILLS may be reluctant to deal with this issue.

If I were you, if your car has between 75,000 and 150,000 miles I would replace the fuel pump.

I know you dont want to hear ANY of this, but... atleast I am not ignoring you and have given you a possible solution for your issue.

AND.. I have made exactly ZERO dollars off of you for my efforts.

So keep that in mind before you rip me a new azz because the things I said are "not what you want to hear".

Tuning cars is not an exact science, cookie cutter mail order tunes work for the vast majority of people.
THEN there is that slim minority that myself is included in where a mail order tune simply wont fit the bill due to both personal perferences and differences between cars.

SOooo I did the right thing and got the software and put my own destiny into my own hands.
You may be at that same cross roads.

If you aren't getting the level of support you feel you deserve, then FIX the problem, get the software and do it yourself.

In the amount of time you've been "waiting" you could have probably "done it yourself" and gone on with life.

^ that was the same scenario I faced, lack of timely and adequate support.

If the tuner feels the customer is resistant to troubleshooting the problem, which MIGHT MEAN spending a significant amount of money to find and fix the problem. Then he might have decided that he's already talked to you enough to make any further troubleshooting a "loss".

But he's gotta talk to you first... :eek:

it is surprizing considering his past 'rants' on his view of proper customer service and professionalizm. There may be something else going on... in life, work, ...etc. He's had the G8 for a while now and it doesn't look to be modded yet.

XLRVIII:

You know, I do not feel I am asking for much. But, he has not given me a starting point as to where to even start troubleshooting. All I've gotten is recommendations from other members here. Which, granted, are much appreciated, but I figured at least his response/input is deserved. It's not like I keep bugging him after he has talked to me. He hasn't given a single response.

I don't expect him to waste a lot of time on me, as I understand it is a tiny amount of money in the modification world. But I would at least like to hear his opinion. And that's all I've asked for from him. I am not asking even for a phone call, just a couple minutes to type up an email.

Quik:

This is exactly the reason I've been very patient with him. He really preached customer service, so when he did not respond, I assumed there were other issues or something that prevented him from assisting me with my issue. But then I see he's emailing another member here for tunes within the last week (Alax7).

So, all is not lost. I still hope he tries to give me a suggestion or 2, or maybe review the tunefile to see if there's a discrepancy or something.

But he's gotta talk to you first... :eek:

Not really, if you saw how resistant he was to just "pull a couple of degree's of timing" you'd understand.

It was probably 2 weeks from when it was suggested, until he actually "did something" other than piss and moan on the internet.

I understand his frustration, but.... I also see why a tuner might add him to his ignore list as well.

Granted the customer SHOULD have gotten more support, but many times, more often than not..THAT is the issue with tuners, getting "support after the sale".

And if you walk in with the premise that "their tune file IS the problem" and there is NO PROBLEM with your car, you aren't gonna get very far.

Lessee... an experienced tuner, writes a tune for a car that he's probably tuned 100's of them.. and ONE car doesnt "act right".

The customer goes on the internet and starts pissing and moaning.. and the tuner ignores him..that is NOT uncommon at all.

Which is why I say "tune it yourself" and then you only have "yourself" to blame with your issues.

If you cannot or will not do it yourself, then EXPECT to have something "not go right"..that is just how it is.

it is surprizing considering his past 'rants' on his view of proper customer service and professionalizm. There may be something else going on... in life, work, ...etc. He's had the G8 for a while now and it doesn't look to be modded yet.

+1.
I agree, but am holding out any form of "judgement".

alot happens in life, and I for one am not gonna roll ILLS "under the bus" because of One problem with ONE customer who doesnt feel he got "enough attention".

With that said, this exact scenario is WHY I got the stuff to do it myself.

I'm too having a problem with my tune. It pings when I step on the gas very lightly and then it will stop after 1-2 seconds. Been running 92 octane in it since day 1. A friend of mine suggested that I go out to the airport and out in 5 gallons of 103 octane and see if that helps the ping??

So, all is not lost. I still hope he tries to give me a suggestion or 2, or maybe review the tunefile to see if there's a discrepancy or something.

Suggestion, Replace your fuel pump if your car is within the mileage window I posted above...that is good information, not to be ignored.
AND is probably the exact area ILLS is gonna send you when and IF you get ahold of him.

and "again" it's very unlikely there is a "problem or descrepency" with a tune file that ILLS is very very experienced with..... "that" is the exact mindset that will get you "no attention" from an experienced tuner.

I'm too having a problem with my tune. It pings when I step on the gas very lightly and then it will stop after 1-2 seconds. Been running 92 octane in it since day 1. A friend of mine suggested that I go out to the airport and out in 5 gallons of 103 octane and see if that helps the ping??

Id go into the Xcal and pull 2 degrees of timing.
I wouldn't put higher octane gas in there as a band aid.

If you dont want to pull 2 degree's of timing I would then add 10% fuel in the area of "detonation"....

Now, I did not ask him to review the file. I just listed the issues I was experiencing. I also did let him know that the issue did go away when I loaded the stock tune.

I am not ignoring the fuel pump recommendation. I appreciate your input as well.

XLRVIII, do you think that fuel delivery would be an issue even though the issue was resolved when the vehicle was returned to stock tune?

There was a girl in highschool that I really wanted to talk to.
She ignore me...
I wasted alot of time trying to get her attention, but in the end decided that "IF she ignored me" then "she didn't deserve" my attention...and I moved on.

you can sit here and wait, and hope and pray, or you can "go find another".

IF my car was detonating, and the tuner ignored me..I wouldn't wait "another week" and possibly damage my car.

I would MAN UP, accept responsibilty and solve the issue.

I cant say WHY, or WHERE he is.. but at this point is it in your best interest to further pursue this?
Seriously, it's "been how long"????

MOVE ON, he broke up with you and you just didn't get a "dear john" letter.

TRY using some of the advice people are willing to give you, rather than holding out for advice that you may or may not get.

believe me, I understand where you are coming from
I spent a grand on mailorder chips before I "took my destiny into my own hands".

XLRVIII, do you think that fuel delivery would be an issue even though the issue was resolved when the vehicle was returned to stock tune?

Absolutely!

that is an excuse many people use to blame the tune itself, when they dont really understand the process and what occurs.

A car with a PIG RICH stock fuel table will not detonate.
Once the fuel table is leaned out to a performance level the car WILL detonate IF the fuel system isn't keeping up.

If you command 10/1 AF stock, and the fuel system is weak the car will/could deliver a 12/1AF instead of 10..
The car runs great because of this.

BUT... if you command a 12/1 AF and the car has the same TWO FULL POINTS of AF "variance".. then the car has issues because it's NOW running at 14/1 AF and PINGS or detonates.

it's called the "variance" between "commanded and delivered" A/F ratio.
it's a common occurance once the fuel pump begins to "give up".

this is where tuners and customers often have problems.

Tuner sends performance file, car detonates
Customer returns to stock..detonation dissapears
Customer blames tune/tuner.
Tuner who isn't required to educate the customer doesnt respond.

I had the exact same problem, with a chip car pings
without a chip it ran GREAT!

problem WAS the fuel pump, so I'm speaking from personal experience with an issue that I had..
same deal...
and I was WRONG for blaming the tuner, but that was almost 10 years ago.

There was a girl in highschool that I really wanted to talk to.
She ignore me...
I wasted alot of time trying to get her attention, but in the end decided that "IF she ignored me" then "she didn't deserve" my attention...and I moved on.

Not me, I hid in the bushes outside her house one night. She is now in a freezer in my basement and never ignores my advances. :shifty:

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look into replacement.

Or maybe changing the AF ratio in the tuning device? I don't remember whether or not I'm able to change that in the end user settings.

All this trouble is persuading me to consider a dyno tune for my car (if anyone around here could even do that)....but I am unsure what price brachet those run in :p

Members online

Back