ebay coils

02LincLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My review of the 8 coils I got from Alanisdeals:

Four of eight ignition coils did not have the spring inside the boot properly mounted to the terminal of the coil. In 3 of those cases, it just fell out of the end of the boot. Connection does not rely on compression of the spring, but instead is supposed to tightly grab the teeth on the side of the terminal. Also, 4 of 8 of the electrical connectors do not snap into place and could vibrate loose at any moment (the old ones snap into place). One cylinder did not fire upon initial startup due to this. Physical appearance is worse than the coils that came out of the car at 103,000 miles. Extra epoxy is dripped over the edge. Part is obviously re-manufactured and not new like the description states (not that I expected it to be). Got car running but have zero confidence in the short and long term performance of this part. I carry wrenches and my old coils with me in case they stop working. Not interested in return shipping, getting another poorly re-manufactured part, or doing the job twice. I bought all 8 to avoid having to find the bad one, and now i have an unknown number of questionable coils in there.

With all that said, I would expect similar results from the other cheap ebay stores. They're probably fine to "keep it running a little longer" but I would go to the ford dealer and just get bent over and buy them new if you want them to last any amount of time.

there are peaple here that have purchased coils from ebay and they where fine with them thanks for sharing your experience with them.

My review of the 8 coils I got from Alanisdeals:

Four of eight ignition coils did not have the spring inside the boot properly mounted to the terminal of the coil. In 3 of those cases, it just fell out of the end of the boot. Connection does not rely on compression of the spring, but instead is supposed to tightly grab the teeth on the side of the terminal. Also, 4 of 8 of the electrical connectors do not snap into place and could vibrate loose at any moment (the old ones snap into place). One cylinder did not fire upon initial startup due to this. Physical appearance is worse than the coils that came out of the car at 103,000 miles. Extra epoxy is dripped over the edge. Part is obviously re-manufactured and not new like the description states (not that I expected it to be). Got car running but have zero confidence in the short and long term performance of this part. I carry wrenches and my old coils with me in case they stop working. Not interested in return shipping, getting another poorly re-manufactured part, or doing the job twice. I bought all 8 to avoid having to find the bad one, and now i have an unknown number of questionable coils in there.

With all that said, I would expect similar results from the other cheap ebay stores. They're probably fine to "keep it running a little longer" but I would go to the ford dealer and just get bent over and buy them new if you want them to last any amount of time.

Yikes man. I bought my off eBay a good 16 or so months ago and swapped them in along with new gaskets. I had only had the car for a few months and it seemed like a good preventative maintenance idea since it was an '02 and used.

Mine were in excellent condition, I had none of the problems you've had with them. I don't remember the place I got them from though, perhaps it was a different vendor. Either way, I don't know your exact situation, but there's not a chance in hell I'd put anything that bad in my car and/or "make it work". I find it kind of odd you say you have no desire to do it twice, but if they're already falling apart, you will likely end up repeating your work anyways. :shrug:

Sounds like you got a box for of crap in the mail. Sorry to hear that.

Conversely, the ones from Global-Automotive that the F150 guys buy (myself included) look like OEM's. I've never heard of any problems with them. Not sure if they have them for the LS, though?

Andy

EDIT: Here's an eBay Link for the LS coils. Note: Lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
i bought mine from Alanisdeals and they seem to be in good condition can't tell if its new or not. i have not put them all in yet so ill let u know how it goes.

i just bought from alanis for my 03 v6 all came in their own individual box perfect condition and all is fine for now sorry to hear

My review of the 8 coils you got from Alanisdeals:

You should have just sent them right back for an exchange/refund.

These came 2 to a (non motorcraft) box and looked like the old ones. The boots were all new and in good shape. The spring inside the coil was new as well. The terminal where the spring connects to the coil was clearly not new as there was oxidation on it, and the teeth on the side were worn so that it did not snugly hold the spring (and make a good connection). I basically had to twist the spring a little so that as you push it in the coil, it wedges itself onto the side of the terminal. Not something you would have to do with a new part.

The coil itself just looked well used with many scratches on the side. It just looked like it had new epoxy put in the top, and a fresh sticker on the top.

I wasn't just posting to complain, it was to let other people know that it is unlikely that these are new "surplus" parts. Why would you spend the money to rebox it? With that said, buy from whoever you want.

No desire to do the job twice means I'll live with the crap that's in there for now, and deal with it later if/when they crap out again. Would you want to put in twice the effort on a job because someone ships you crap? You can't return it (for refund) so what do you do, ask them to send you more crap? No thanks.

The connection is good now, but "new" parts shouldn't require any work to make them functional. I'm sure they'll last a year or so and then who knows from there; a result of the physical life (thats left) of the coil itself, not the spring fitment on the terminal issue. We'll have to wait and see if the low voltage connectors ever become an issue.

Conversely, the ones from Global-Automotive that the F150 guys buy (myself included) look like OEM's. I've never heard of any problems with them. Not sure if they have them for the LS, though?

I can't say enough bad things about globalautomotive. :p After several weeks and a lot of BS, the coils they eventually sent me had different sized pins and wouldn't work on the car. They told me sorry but they are correct, you're :q:q:q:q out of luck.

I can't say enough bad things about globalautomotive. :p After several weeks and a lot of BS, the coils they eventually sent me had different sized pins and wouldn't work on the car. They told me sorry but they are correct, you're :q:q:q:q out of luck.

Hmmm. Maybe they're truck guys? J/K

I'm surprised. First negative I've seen (out of a couple dozen).

Andy

I heard good things about alanisdeals (and I also had a good experience with them) and I heard the ones from global don't fit properly.

i just finished up and took it for a test drive no more hesitations or vibrations in idle. my ls is smooth again, bout time. i think my coils from alan work well so far.thanks to everyone on this site.

These came 2 to a (non motorcraft) box and looked like the old ones. The boots were all new and in good shape. The spring inside the coil was new as well. The terminal where the spring connects to the coil was clearly not new as there was oxidation on it, and the teeth on the side were worn so that it did not snugly hold the spring (and make a good connection). I basically had to twist the spring a little so that as you push it in the coil, it wedges itself onto the side of the terminal. Not something you would have to do with a new part.

The coil itself just looked well used with many scratches on the side. It just looked like it had new epoxy put in the top, and a fresh sticker on the top.

I wasn't just posting to complain, it was to let other people know that it is unlikely that these are new "surplus" parts. Why would you spend the money to rebox it? With that said, buy from whoever you want.

No desire to do the job twice means I'll live with the crap that's in there for now, and deal with it later if/when they crap out again. Would you want to put in twice the effort on a job because someone ships you crap? You can't return it (for refund) so what do you do, ask them to send you more crap? No thanks.

The connection is good now, but "new" parts shouldn't require any work to make them functional. I'm sure they'll last a year or so and then who knows from there; a result of the physical life (thats left) of the coil itself, not the spring fitment on the terminal issue. We'll have to wait and see if the low voltage connectors ever become an issue.

Sorry, that came off more critical than I really meant it to - based on your post about going to the dealer, I was sort of thinking you were just going to go there soon anyways, which is why I thought it was kinda odd.

i got mine from global-automotive and they lasted about 1 year before they started breaking. for that 1 year they were fine, no misfires and totally smooth ride. but 02Linc is correct, they do not snap into place properly. also when trying to remove them, watch out because the boots do not like to come out. they have a tendency to stick and it requires some patience. mine broke at the electrical connector. YMMV with these coils of course... seems par for the course for eBay. if i could do it all over again i would get a set of 8 Motorcraft coils from Max at Five Star Ford.

I have a question. Why have you not posted this seller's name/store so you can help other's from having the same fate?

Most of the posts of successful Ebay coil purchases I have seen have stated their seller's name (I would assume so poeple know to check there first)...

Sorry, that came off more critical than I really meant it to - based on your post about going to the dealer, I was sort of thinking you were just going to go there soon anyways, which is why I thought it was kinda odd.

no problem. like i said, they are working so for most people, its a cheap alternative, but comes with the risk of doing the job more often.

i did post the name at the start, alanisdeals. they did offer to send a replacement so I'm sure you'd have no trouble getting a replacement if you ran into problems.

I bought 8 coils on ebay from a seller who only sells Motorcraft coils in sealed factory packaging for $25 ea. I wouldn't be opposed to buying non factory if they were a brand name like ACCEL but I'll be damed if I would spend money on no name Chinese knockoff coils.

Wow, I am really surprised. That is the first bad comment I've heard about alanisdeals. I have however heard many complaints about global automotive. Both are ebay sellers. I know mine looked brand new when I got them from alanisdeals. Hopefully it was a mix up, although you said you didn't plan on exchanging or getting a refund.

I bought 8 coils on ebay from a seller who only sells Motorcraft coils in sealed factory packaging for $25 ea. I wouldn't be opposed to buying non factory if they were a brand name like ACCEL but I'll be damed if I would spend money on no name Chinese knockoff coils.

Hi RINGMASTER would you remember the sellers name from ebay? Im in the market an can only find alainisdeals on ebay. Thats a great deal. T.I.A.

just had my 6 coils delivered from "alanisdeals"..I was surprised to see how near perfect they look..tight fit onto the plug..hope they work as good as they look..I got the slightly more expensive ones that say "motorcraft" in green..I suppose "green" adds a little more authenticity to them then fords own color of red...we will see in due time

Redbed, The seller's name was motorcraft50. His coil auctions are usually priced around $30-$35 but I bought mine when he lowered the price for a weekend special. He has 4 motorcraft LS V8 coils listed now for $114. Ask him if he has 8. Great price.

Members online

No members online now.
Back