ebay coils

I recieved my 6 coils from alanis today. looked great worked fine. I am very happy.:D :D
...when you say "it worked fine".. are you referring to the whole process of receiving them, or did you actually have the opportunity to install them in your car
..I can hardly wait to install mine, but I have to wait a few days..rain

I was wondering if anybody has had these coils last any significant mileage, say 50k. If they last till you change plugs they are worth it. It would be nice to know who the manufactor is, possibly Viseon(?). I would like to get an old OEM and a no name and open them up to compare. Wonder if theres any dif?
They are certainly a lot cheaper.

I was wondering if anybody has had these coils last any significant mileage, say 50k. If they last till you change plugs they are worth it. It would be nice to know who the manufactor is, possibly Viseon(?). I would like to get an old OEM and a no name and open them up to compare. Wonder if theres any dif?
They are certainly a lot cheaper.
... to open them up would be most interesting

Redbed, I was thinking the same thing. I'm waiting to hear about the life span of these coils

Well, for the record, (and because I will forget if I don't write it) I switched all 8 coils at 103,000. I had no oil in the plug wells. I think only one of my original 8 were bad so I have 7 spares. Even if they don't last 50K, it was still better than buying new. And it disturbs me to say that.

I wil preface my statements. I have had this car in to the dealer and mech 6X for coil failures. The last time it was on my dime. My car had between 35 to 55k. Talking to to LM. is a waste of time. I have had the #1 coil fail 4 times(pass side closest to firewal). You cant tell me that Ford(vis.) didn't manufacture a defective product. Since the mech changed out the pass side(Would somebody smarten me up to refer to an engine bank?)Ive had no problems. The only problem is he charges 80$ a coil plus $240 for labor. You cant tell me that FOMOCO put defective coils in these cars. How can you say the coils and gaskets are defective on our v8 but the design and manufacture of v6 is ok?. It make's it real hard to buy American, although I know I wouldn't want to own a BMW/Audi with a problem. I know Im all over the the lot here but what a great looking car!. I spent the afternoon on a wash and cleaning the int. and I dont see to too many cars nicer then mine.
I wish someone smarter than me would relocate the ignition coils and and make them accs. This Forum is great and I wish I would have found it sooner.
Good Luck To All

I wil preface my statements. I have had this car in to the dealer and mech 6X for coil failures. The last time it was on my dime. My car had between 35 to 55k. Talking to to LM. is a waste of time. I have had the #1 coil fail 4 times(pass side closest to firewal). You cant tell me that Ford(vis.) didn't manufacture a defective product. Since the mech changed out the pass side(Would somebody smarten me up to refer to an engine bank?)Ive had no problems. The only problem is he charges 80$ a coil plus $240 for labor. You cant tell me that FOMOCO put defective coils in these cars. How can you say the coils and gaskets are defective on our v8 but the design and manufacture of v6 is ok?. It make's it real hard to buy American, although I know I wouldn't want to own a BMW/Audi with a problem. I know Im all over the the lot here but what a great looking car!. I spent the afternoon on a wash and cleaning the int. and I dont see to too many cars nicer then mine.
I wish someone smarter than me would relocate the ignition coils and and make them accs. This Forum is great and I wish I would have found it sooner.
Good Luck To All
..I could be wrong here, but wasn't there a "TBS on the #1 coil getting to much water on it" ..had something to do with the plastic cover up against the firewall..it seems that the #1 is the first to go and continues to do so..I am new to this,..wondering if anybody can give more info concerning my above statement

Well, for the record, (and because I will forget if I don't write it) I switched all 8 coils at 103,000. I had no oil in the plug wells. I think only one of my original 8 were bad so I have 7 spares. Even if they don't last 50K, it was still better than buying new. And it disturbs me to say that.

You had much better luck than most of us. Do you drive the car everyday? I wish I could find a usable lifespan for this part. I don't think you want to consider the old ones as spares although I guess they would do in a pinch. This truly is the weak link in this engine design. Good Luck

My review of the 8 coils I got from Alanisdeals:

Four of eight ignition coils did not have the spring inside the boot properly mounted to the terminal of the coil. In 3 of those cases, it just fell out of the end of the boot. Connection does not rely on compression of the spring, but instead is supposed to tightly grab the teeth on the side of the terminal. Also, 4 of 8 of the electrical connectors do not snap into place and could vibrate loose at any moment (the old ones snap into place). One cylinder did not fire upon initial startup due to this. Physical appearance is worse than the coils that came out of the car at 103,000 miles. Extra epoxy is dripped over the edge. Part is obviously re-manufactured and not new like the description states (not that I expected it to be). Got car running but have zero confidence in the short and long term performance of this part. I carry wrenches and my old coils with me in case they stop working. Not interested in return shipping, getting another poorly re-manufactured part, or doing the job twice. I bought all 8 to avoid having to find the bad one, and now i have an unknown number of questionable coils in there.

With all that said, I would expect similar results from the other cheap ebay stores. They're probably fine to "keep it running a little longer" but I would go to the ford dealer and just get bent over and buy them new if you want them to last any amount of time.

Just installed mine two days ago and I received the same crap from alanisdeals. I went with them after reading posts on here where people said they were good. Everything that 02LincLS said is exactly what I experienced with my coils. They don't look new at all..they're all scratched up and the springs fell out of 3 of them. I put the springs back in as best I could and installed them, tried to start the car up and the CEL came on and the engine was shaking like crazy. I didn't know which coil was the problem so I had to check all of them. Probably only about 3 of the 8 electrical connectors actually clipped into place. I figured that was the problem and decided to use electrical tape to keep the connector attached. After doing that the car has been running fine. I know the electrical tape probably isn't the best method but it worked for one of my old coils that I broke the clip off on, so I figured it was worth a shot. Hopefully I don't have any issues but I kept my old coils just incase.

That really sucks. I'm glad I bought them a few months ago when they were still legit.

finally finished up the 6 coil install and new valve cover gaskets etc..no problems with my ebay coil(alanis..)..as said earlier, near new condition..so far very happy

Anyone think of using the 3valve 4.6 COP's?? They dont have the angle on the boot like the older 4.6's do...

I just bought 6 coils on Amazon (Wells C1234) for $37.50 ea. 123 Auto is the vendor. I've been searching for coils online and other than the e-bay stuff these are the cheapist. These are the following manf. that I found online that make coils for the 3.0L
Wells C1234 $37.50
Borg Warner E228 $55.82
Standard Motor Products FD496 $63.07
Visteon VIS60-1004 $58.31
Airtex 5C1197 $50.82
I like to keep a set on hand you never know when the installed ones will fail.

I just bought 6 coils on Amazon (Wells C1234) for $37.50 ea. 123 Auto is the vendor. I've been searching for coils online and other than the e-bay stuff these are the cheapist. These are the following manf. that I found online that make coils for the 3.0L
Wells C1234 $37.50
Borg Warner E228 $55.82
Standard Motor Products FD496 $63.07
Visteon VIS60-1004 $58.31
Airtex 5C1197 $50.82
I like to keep a set on hand you never know when the installed ones will fail.
this is the kind of info I like to have...thanks for posting

update: developed misfire already- car wanted to die at any throttle. could not identify which coil by unplugging and plugging back in. replaced all passenger bank coils back to original and no change. changed driver's side bank back to original- car ran good for a bit then developed the small miss at idle that i orginally had (as expected) but at least it was driveable. from this method, was able to determine i had 4 good "new" coils. replaced driver's side bank with new coils- got lucky- car runs fine now at idle, and part/full throttle.
so now i have 4 old and 4 "new" coils in my stock of LS parts that you must drive around with. i'm sure its only 1 or 2 of each of the new and old that is bad so i'll exchange the "new" ones for ""new"" ones and test the old ones myself, all you need is a oscilloscope with high voltage inputs. I might even try repotting these myself.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB 04-16-1.pdf

Members online

Back