Custom Lincoln LS Turbo

Shiloh - my advice (I know you didn't ask for it) - until you are running careful about mentioning what is and is not included in the kit. Focus on getting up and going - it's an exciting project and the first for the V6s.

IMHO - Tuning is an absolute must and that can only be done by a SCT tuning device (and likely a shop who tunes using the SCT products). You can get better performance by running closer to MBT (minimum for best torque) spark or LBT (lean best torque) fuelling. The LS already runs LBT fuel (approximately 12:1 air/fuel ratio, compared to the normal stoichiometric 14.6:1) at wide open throttle (or wide open pedal for 2003+). Spark is normally the minimum of MBT and "borderline" (the spark level at which knock begins occurring). This is normally the only place where there's room for improvement from the PCM. But running closer to MBT when you're borderline limited would mean running higher octane fuel. But the LS already runs on premium, so we do not have as much room to wiggle.

So you will not have as much PCM automatic adjustment to compensate for the additional air you are injesting since we are already running close to the limits in stock form - hence the need for tuning and the fuel system upgrade. Working in the cost of the additional tuner, fuel injectors, tuning, ....etc.

Think of it this way - if you were going to add N2O for an extra 75hp you should not simply add a dry system (hoping the fuel system would some how compensate and add more fuel - you would have to go wet to add the additional fuel since our fuel system are already running near their design limits. Gone are the days where the PCM and injectors has a 25% play.

So your BDT is doing the same thing - adding more air.

I'm sure Robert can explain it better....

The stock Gen2 tuning has the commanded Lambda coming in at .75 (10.98:1 AFR) then ramping up and commanding .855 Lambda (12.5:1 AFR) by 6,000rpms and above at WOT in the base fuel table. Keep in mind that those AFR's are meant for a naturally aspirated vehicle. When I retune most N/A vehicles for more power I usually bump the AFR up to around 12.5:1 across the board depending on what vehicle and engine it is. I could open up a stock Gen1 tune to compare but I honestly just do not feel like it right now.

With forced induction I usually command .785 Lambda (11.5:1 AFR) across the board at WOT to keep things a little safer especially on the stock Lincoln LS bottom end. I try to treat this thing like glass as much as possible so that minimal chance of breakage occurs. High CR does not favor boost but it can take it if it is tuned carefully. If I am tuning a lighter car with a built bottom end then I will lean it out slightly more than that. One thing for the people to keep in mind in here is that leaner does not always equal more power at WOT in a piston driven engine. There comes a point of diminishing returns; especially when looking at it from a safety standpoint.

Like Quik said, the stock components can only take so much. That stocker MAFS can only meter so much air before it is pegged. When that happens fuel goes static and that is not really a good thing if you are only 4,500rpm's into a 6,500 rpm pull. You can run a Diablosport MAFia to extend the stock MAFS range to allow it to meter the additional air coming into the engine with FI or you can change over to a different MAFS with more range. The stocker fuel injectors can only take so much before their duty cycle is maxxed too.

For anyone planning to run this BDT system or other form of forced induction, barring nitrous, for their LS I recommend that the MAFS and injectors be upgraded along with a full custom tune by a competent SCT tuner. Also for those pushing into the 325rwhp+ range I would also suggest either upgrading your stocker fuel pump or running a boost-a-pump. Your stocker fuel pump may be able to take it but it will be very close to maximum duty cycle which is not a good or safe thing. ;) Heck, even just on 100wetshot of nitrous I was at 91%+ FPDC (fuel pump duty cycle) which is not maxxed yet, but still closer than I prefer to come to limits while remaining safe. I try to keep all items to a safe max of 85% duty cycle or less.

Good luck Shiloh. I want to see your car in action. :Beer

On the topic of forced induction on the LS, whether BDT or supercharged, has anyone experience problems with increased crankcase pressure, i.e. dipstick popping up or out, oil in the intake, front or rear main seals blowing in extreme instances?

On the topic of forced induction on the LS, whether BDT or supercharged, has anyone experience problems with increased crankcase pressure, i.e. dipstick popping up or out, oil in the intake, front or rear main seals blowing in extreme instances?

Nope. I vent my cam cover to atmosphere to prevent that with the turbo. The tuning will be slightly different because of it but it is not problem at all. I vented to atmosphere even when N/A while running nitrous too.

If you want you can always run a oil/water separator and a one way check valve and keep the cam cover venting back into the intake.

Nope. I vent my cam cover to atmosphere to prevent that with the turbo. The tuning will be slightly different because of it but it is not problem at all. I vented to atmosphere even when N/A while running nitrous too.

If you want you can always run a oil/water separator and a one way check valve and keep the cam cover venting back into the intake.

No problem with the un-metered air affecting your idle quality?
On my Mustang, originally after installing the S-trim I used the Steeda oil separator. I ended up putting a second PCV in the left valve cover with the Viton check valves in both lines. No more oil in the intake.

I added two in-line catch cans to the valve cover-to-intake tubing to seperate the oil form the blow-by. I am seeing extra pressure - but unlike the turbos who are boosting in the intake pipe (which would then boost the valve covers in the PCV-less V8). Even before the SC - I was seeing some oil in the intake.

Plus the chrome catchcans are pretty....

No problem with the un-metered air affecting your idle quality?
On my Mustang, originally after installing the S-trim I used the Steeda oil separator. I ended up putting a second PCV in the left valve cover with the Viton check valves in both lines. No more oil in the intake.

There is no unmetered air entering the system the way I have things configured. It idles like stock.

As you know we use the XCal or Livewire to upload tunes into our LSes. www.sctflash.com. Tuners sell their services by creating new 'tuned' PCM codes for your LS and you upload it via the unit.

There is also a Pro Racer package that is the same software the tuning companies use - but limited to a single vehicle. So it allows you all the control over the car - via the PCM software.

There is some good coarse that you can take - http://www.calibratedsuccess.com/ where is teaches the tuning and talks about the SCT software specifically. He also has a book that is a 'starter' type book -> http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/webpage.cfm?DID=6&WebPage_ID=4
Quik, your link to the 'starter' book won't work.
KS

I WANT ONE!!!
But I need one for a V8.

How is the progress comming along on the V8?

Geoff's solution for the V8 is what I have done, Shiloh is working on the V6.

In terms of the technical content, this must be one of the most important threads in the entire forum !!!

Thanx to Quik and ILLS !!!

KS

Many of you have been anxiously awaiting both photo's and numbers of the BDT installed. Unfortunately I ran into some problems bringing Wisper out of storage. After much work and dollars, she is now purring like a kitten and ready to roar with the BDT. As has been discussed, at length, by primarily Quik, ILLS, and Cammerfe; tuning will take some time and the numbers posted next week will be preliminary. I will start posting installed pictures on Monday the seventh and numbers shortly thereafter. As always, questions, advice and comments are welcome.

How is it comming along with the tunning on this crazy turbo. Will this work better on a V6 with a manual transmission?

Don't be too quick to dump on his parade. Things like this take considerable time. When it is completed he will give us updates.... that is if he is still trying to promote the sale of these items.
I for one would love to have one... A little extra juice for my v6 would be great. Perhaps bring it up to the stock v8 level.

For you v8 guys, there are custom turbos available if you so desire. As with everything all it takes is time and money.

Looking forward to see some info Shilo...

If I recall correctly, I believe this guy was only talking about getting something like this done on his V6. So you guys asking about the V8 may not get much out of this thread.

I too am watching this to see how it goes. Much simpler back in 1966 when I custom installed a Paxton system on my 65 Mustang 289. Basically just install, adjust jetting after pressurizing the carburetor and tune the timing. The only problem back then was going through the (don't remember the real name) spring loaded aluminum socketed plate attached to the pulley that drove steel ball bearings against the tapered cone that in turn drove the impeller. It was set up to spin the impeller faster as RPM increased and forced the ball bearings to the outside of the tapered cone. I am sure that the modern design is much more sophisticated. We had no recirculated oil for the system and used auto transmission oil and STP mixture from an internal sump. The cupped plate would wear out quickly.

If I recall correctly, I believe this guy was only talking about getting something like this done on his V6. So you guys asking about the V8 may not get much out of this thread.
Even if he is only referring to the V6, I would love to build a V6 Manual Turbo

Even if he is only referring to the V6, I would love to build a V6 Manual Turbo

It would be nice if someone were to do something for you V6 guys. I would be willing to design and build a system that you guys could copy but none of the V6 crowd has taken me up on that offer. No big deal, I will stick with V8's until one of ya sixers request my help with it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back