Ls Vs Charger

^ +1 the only v8 option was the hemi

the only hemi it would've came with was the 5.7L. I don't think the 6.1L was an option until 2008

The 6.1L is the SRT-8 engine started in 2005.
Quote from allpar.com
The Hemi design combustion chamber is one of the poorest designs for emissions - why do you think it took so long to get it into production? It almost did not make emissions test requirements even with the modifications. ... Today's Hemi is that (a "Hemi") in name only. [Editor's note: Bob is referring to the head design. It is not a true hemispherical head, but looks vaguely like a hemispherical head with parts filled in.]
I drove the V6 its sooo slow. I wanted a 300 but only SRT package. I wouldnt want the 5.7. For the amount of power, its not worth the poor gas mileage. And one complaint I heard the most from 5.7 owners was the MDS, there is bad throtle response when flooring it on the roll. The computer cant react fast enough to go from firing 4 cyl. to all cyl.

Last edited:
True that. The V6 is SLOOOW!!!! Last nite we head down to sum factory outlet. Raced 3 times, first 2 races started on even line, 3rd race which i have the video he wanted a one car head start so he got it. And so well the video Says it all.... He was upset now he feels he needs a V8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_An9xdzb1W8

Srry bout the video quality it was a cell phone. I got another video from another cell phone that was taken from the finish line. But im having problems converting the 3gp 2 mpeg. But ill have it sooon.

4.7?

If its the V-8, you have not a chance in hell.

I believe some came with the 4.7, and you should do well against that engine.
I have seen one in the flesh, so I know they put that engine in the Charger.
They weight at about 4150#

I ran one once when I had 3 people in the car. He got the jump on me, but I passed easily a little ways up the road. I don't know if it was a 6 or an 8. I have an 02 LS8 W/KKM and a tune from Torrie.

I raced my friend in his 87 Iroc-Z28...which has the V8 5.7 engine in it...and took him not once but twice...sweat. He doesn't want to race me anymore.

This is an interesting thread, as most know I'm looking for something else and pretty much decided on an R/T as I need something a little bigger and unfortunately too upside down on the loan for the LS that I can't swing an SRT-8 (which run in the 12s, BTW). From what I've read on a few Charger forums, there are numerous R/Ts in the mid 13s with the same 3 mods that we have for the LS - and that's with higher/numerically lower gearing out back compared to the LS. Then there's the options out there for the 5.7 of headers, heads, cams...stuff us LS owners can only dream about.

This is an interesting thread, as most know I'm looking for something else and pretty much decided on an R/T as I need something a little bigger and unfortunately too upside down on the loan for the LS that I can't swing an SRT-8 (which run in the 12s, BTW). From what I've read on a few Charger forums, there are numerous R/Ts in the mid 13s with the same 3 mods that we have for the LS - and that's with higher/numerically lower gearing out back compared to the LS. Then there's the options out there for the 5.7 of headers, heads, cams...stuff us LS owners can only dream about.

Mean Green R/T at the track last fall when I was there. He ran 3 14.7s, appeared to be driving it decent. Was completely stock. I ran 14.4s all night with 1 14.5. Was trying to get lined up with him but didn't. Same night a SRT8 was there with intake and a few other minor things, said his best was 13.2, missed his time so not sure what he ran there. I know what they can do but near stock the 5.7 isn't to crazy, its a heavy car, 6.1 is much quicker.

I'm just saying if my car was a bright bold 70s hot rod color with flat black strips and R/T badging I would be disappointed to run high 14s.

A good driver can coax low 14s out an R/T. I agree the Hemi isn't all the impressive. I've never driven a Charger but my girlfriends Ram has a Hemi.

About the Ram hemi. My dad picked up an 07 ram with the hemi. You guys think a gen 1 V8 with resonator back 2.25" pipe/magnaflow mufflers and a modified airbox (bottom cut out) would stand a chance?

300M at NED runs pretty well. I'd confidently throw my 01 V8 against it though! Esp if I had done anything to it.

That being said the 300M is NOT the same car. general rule of thumb I found is if they want to show off, they dont have anything special.... if they have something special, they already know they'll stomp you!

Nice kill vid BTW

About the Ram hemi. My dad picked up an 07 ram with the hemi. You guys think a gen 1 V8 with resonator back 2.25" pipe/magnaflow mufflers and a modified airbox (bottom cut out) would stand a chance?

It will definitely take my stock Mark VIII of the line if your careful. My girls is an open rear(I don't know what gear) so it will spin easily if your not. I think they run low 15s stock though. It's got a couple hundred lbs on the Charger

What about a G8?

Depends on the body style and all.

His truck is a 4 door short bed 1500 (1/2 ton). Is that what you meant by body style and all?

His truck is a 4 door short bed 1500 (1/2 ton). Is that what you meant by body style and all?

Yeah... It would probably be close but I think the LS would win/tie depending on generation.

Only the facts...

Ok guys, Dodge offers 4 engines for the Charger.
Base model 2.7L V6
High output 3.5L V6
R/T Hemi 5.7L V8
SRT-8 Hemi 6.1L V8

My 05 LS V8 will take any factory stock Charger or Magnum with the 2.7L and 3.5L. Off the line with Advancetrac off, takes factory 5.7L but the hemi will walk you within a 1/4 mile. Only the Police R/T Hemi 5.7L and SRT-8 Chargers will smoke a LS start to finish. The Police pkg allows you to deactivate the ESC completely. This provides the off the line launch that will embarass an LS. The ESC really bogs the Hemi and applies alot of brake,thus hampering launch.

Ok guys, Dodge offers 4 engines for the Charger.
Base model 2.7L V6
High output 3.5L V6
R/T Hemi 5.7L V8
SRT-8 Hemi 6.1L V8

My 05 LS V8 will take any factory stock Charger or Magnum with the 2.7L and 3.5L. Off the line with Advancetrac off, takes factory 5.7L but the hemi will walk you within a 1/4 mile. Only the Police R/T Hemi 5.7L and SRT-8 Chargers will smoke a LS start to finish. The Police pkg allows you to deactivate the ESC completely. This provides the off the line launch that will embarass an LS. The ESC really bogs the Hemi and applies alot of brake,thus hampering launch.

well i got a 2001 v8 Ls and my buddy has a 300c witha hemi havent raced him yet but he talks his shiiit n wants to race me i been in the car when he raced a mach 8 and a 5.0 an severel other cars smoked them all, this car really does pull idk do you think i have a chance? my car has been parked for a lil while due to frigin insurence isues but should be back on road shortly an hopefully with sum new mods

I cant see a 300c beating a mach 8 or a 5.0 ( I may be wrong ) but if it did then it will kill your car.

Stock 5.0s are slow.

What is a Mach 8 :confused: Or do you mean a Mark VIII?

Oops!

But ahh can a LS really take a 5.0? I dont really think so.

Members online

No members online now.
Back