3-2 Airbag light finally hit me!

mharrison

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
When I left the house this morning the dreaded 3-2 airbag light hit me. I'll have to get under the seat tonight and see if I can find a bad wire. I'm really hoping I do!

OK, if it's not that then I move onto the clock spring. If it's still messed up, what then?

If it's not the connector, I believe the only other thing it could be is the clock spring....I wouldn't worry too much about what-if's until that is ruled out entirely, due to that usually being the issue.

speaking of the bad connector under the seat, is it necessary to actually have the yellow connector or can you remove it and splice the wires together to be sure the connection is good. I had the 3-2 as well.

no not necessary - but if you ever have to remove the seat - you'll be cutting wires....

Can you test at the connector under the seat and see if it is working? Like putting an ohm meter on one end of it to check for continuity or something?

Just for the hell of it (and because I don't want to shell out the $ for the clock spring if I don't have to) I redid the connections. The wires looked OK, but I redid them anyway.

Looks like the clock spring :( But I'd like to make sure the harness under the seat is OK.

are are test ports that the WDS uses to test it - I do not know how to replicate it though....

Becareful of hitting any wire with an ohm meter - since it likely uses a 9v and could 'trigger' something.....

Yes it will - a failed SRS system is a DOT vilolation. Although the inspection is for the front seatbelts and anchor points (so you do not have to have an air-bag system to pass) - if your car has a system and it is failed - then that's the issue....

I am getting a code 3-6 even after replacing clockspring and the connector pigtail under seat. I was getting 3-2 and 3-6. Any Ideas?

here are the codes:

B1932 32 8 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High
B1993 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
B1992 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition
B1994 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance
B1995 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low

Typically, a 32 is a broken or open wire, and a 36 is a short.

So that is why a 32 is usually the connector under the driver seat (to the driver position sensor in the seat) since the seat moves back and forth all the time (with easy-entry) - the wires break causing it to go 'open circuit'.

the 36 is usually a short - so when the clock-spring fails - it's actually a ribbon cable in the steering column that wear through - causing multiple wires to rub through bare and short to each-other.

but - since this is an electircal circuit - any bare wire could cause an open or a short....

How are you getting two codes?

Ok, so I get that the series of blinks equal a number in a morse code sort of way. I myself have 3-6, how do you find the rest of the code?

How do I know if its B1992, B1993, B1994 or, B1995

That's just the corresponding DTC. All you need to worry about is the morse code being thrown to isolate the issue.

How are you getting two codes?

I was getting a 3-2 then a 3-6. I replaced the clockspring and all was good for about 2 weeks. Then I was getting code 3-2. I took it to the dealer (since I am obviously incapable) and they sold me the repair harness for the seat. I replaced that, but am still having code 3-6. That is the code that was pulled by the dealer also. It is really quite irritating.

Members online

No members online now.
Back