coil #4 causing TB codes?

NateRW21

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
As most of you know, the dealership told me I need a new TB; a few of you said it could be coil #4 causing computer interference. Well, those of you that have experianced this isssue, I'm listing the codes and I'd like to hear if they are about the same thing you had, or if they are totally different.

P0121 (TP Sensor Circuit Performance Problem)
P0122 (TP Sensor Circuit Low Input)
P0221 (?)
P0222 (Throttle Position Sensor B Circuit Input Low)
P0223 (Throttle Position Sensor B Circuit Input High)
P2104 (Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle)
P2106 (Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power)
P2110 (Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited (RPM))
P2112 (Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed)
P2135 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation)

So, do you all think this sounds about right for the coil #4 issue? Also, mine is an 03 V8; is it year-range or engine specific?

BUMP

Quik, you seemed to be informed on this one; care to throw down on the speculation?

121,122,221,2106,2110 on mine. Dealer put in a new TB, new MAF, and a new PCM but they would not even consider replacing the coil. Finally on the fourth try I got them to swap the #4 coil to the other side, and the car hasn't died since. Everyone else seems to have had misfire problems and going into failsafe mode, which mine never did. Twice when it died, there were no PCM codes at all.

Swap the #4 coil to the other side and see if it still gives the TB codes.

beaups is your expert on this.

I believe all these symptoms have been reported by several people with extactly the same issue.

121,122,221,2106,2110 on mine. Dealer put in a new TB, new MAF, and a new PCM but they would not even consider replacing the coil. Finally on the fourth try I got them to swap the #4 coil to the other side, and the car hasn't died since. Everyone else seems to have had misfire problems and going into failsafe mode, which mine never did. Twice when it died, there were no PCM codes at all.

Swap the #4 coil to the other side and see if it still gives the TB codes.

Alright, that's kind of what I was thinking would be a good option to start (instead of replacing the TB right off the batt). I didn't have a misfire either; however, on really really cold mornings it would stall.

Thanks for the "expert" compliment but I've just simply had this happen to me. I don't know the exact codes mine threw as I had to take it to the dealer...I do know that mine through TPS and actuator codes. Your pedal codes, however, are a bit troubling.

At any rate, a quick test would be to swap your #4 and #1 coils...and possibly the plugs as well. Moving the #1 coil far enough away from the pcm and TB wiring should help you narrow things down without any cost. My guess is the problems go away when you swap coils.

Mine is 03 V8 as well, early (11-02) build. Hope this helps.

I was reading some road test of the LS a while back (I think it was a 2000 or 2001) and I think they mentioned coil 4 going and some throttle body problems! Gotta find that again...

It seems to always be coil #4....

I had a misfire recently and I took it to AutoZone to pull the code and the guy told me "There is a misfire on cylinder 4"
So I have seen several times over that this is the orientation of the plugs, but....be this n00bish or not...where in relation to this would I be looking?

If I'm standing in front of the car are 1-4 on the left and 5-8 on the right? That's how I'm perceiving it.

Rear of engine (cowl)
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Front of engine (grille)

I was reading some road test of the LS a while back (I think it was a 2000 or 2001) and I think they mentioned coil 4 going and some throttle body problems! Gotta find that again...
The coil causing TB problems "should" be limited to 03+ models. Previous models did not have the drive by wire....

You wont believe this. My car previously had the coil/TB issue. They did the same thing, replaced the TB first THEN went the coil route, but hey, what do i care. Free new parts! They ended up replacing the #1,2,5 coil and it cleared up the TB issue. That was eight months ago and have had a few other coils replaced since. Within the past few weeks my car developed another misfire. I ended up buying some new coils from TeamFord (great vender by the way). I put the new coils in.....started it up, sounded great. Drove alittle bit, felt nice and strong, then.......BAM...ETC error Failsafe Mode...AGAIN !!! I couldnt drive a whole mile without it going into Failsafe Mode. How the hell does installing two new coils cause this?? Needless to say the car is back at the Lincoln dealer. Have i ever mentioned that i hate these f*cking coils?

Oh yeah, one other thing. My codes were 2104, 2107, 2110, 2112. Apparently 2107 is the Throttle Actuator code for the "Failsafe mode" which you said your car never went into but mine never completely died like yours did. It seems the coils cause all kinds of problems. The guy at the dealer said that bad coils are a known thing with FoMoCo. He was saying that the newer F150 had coil problems. The 3.9L V8 must not have done very good for Ford, look how long the 4.6L has been around in all different forms. More reason to wish we had the 'ol 4.6L, tons of choices. Are there other makers of coils for the LS except OEM?

Well, swaped the coils from bank to bank, attempted to clear out all of the codes, and all but P2106 (forced limited power), P0222(TPS, B circuit low input) and P2135 (TPS A/B Circuit voltage correlation) would not go away. I'm starting to think it's the TPS! I havn't gone through the pinpoint testing proceedures yet (I'm so busy I almost don't have time to breath). Anyone know if you can get the TPS seperately from some great source, or am I stuck buying a new TB?

Members online

Back