Making progress....sorta

afbryant

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi again everyone. As previously stated, I bought this non-running project 2004 V6 a couple months ago. It would only run for 1or 2 seconds and die. I took the battery out of my truck and tried it with the same results. But I took the MAF connector off and it will now stay running, surging like crazy , but running. I tried unplugging it before, but evidently this car is super finicky about it's battery voltage
Guys, I feel better about this project now. I am gonna try cleaning it first. Thanks Joe and everyone else. I am probably gonna be needing your experience in the near future

Cleaned the MAF sensor and the car will now start and run with it plugged up. It surges with it plugged in or unplugged. I guess it's time to buy a battery and a MAF sensor. Any thoughts?
At least I can get the codes now

Took the known working MAF sensor off my Mustang and bought the correct battery for the Lincoln. It will now start and run every time now. We got it off the jackstands and drove it down the driveway. It would only do 12-15 mph along with a some shuddering and surging.
I'm afraid it is going to take a lot of work to get this one drivable. I wish my wife didn't like it so much. Which, I too have always loved the way these cars looked, but I never knew the were so maintenance heavy.
I should have my Forscan today or tomorrow. I hope someone will be able to help me make some sense of it. I have been doing a lot of reading on it myself, but it is a lot to take in

Got my Forscan codes, maybe someone can look over these and maybe help me determine what put this car in Failsafe mode. It is the 2004 V6. The car has only been ran probably 30 minutes and only driven 400 yards since the battery has been installed
PCM: P1000-FF ,P2100-FF, P2104-FF, P2107-FF, P2110-FF, P2112-FF
OBD2: P2100-C, P2104-C, P2107-C
DSM-1676
DDM:B1341, U1041, B1676, B1309,
EATC: B1262, B2426, B1676, B1242, B2796
ACM:U2025, U2008
IC: B1318, U1147U1147, B1681, U1041, B1875, B1352U1262
GEM: B1503, U1027, B1676
REM: B1676, P1641
EPB: C1989, U1027, C1409, C1408
ABS: U1009
RCM: B1308
I did this with battery voltage at 12.39 .
P.S>------I just tried it again but Forscan is NOT picking up the PCM codes!! It picked up all modules except the PCM

Got my Forscan codes, maybe someone can look over these and maybe help me determine what put this car in Failsafe mode. It is the 2004 V6.
The PCM does remember old codes, so better clean them all then start it again and go for a spin. Many of those appear simply , because of battery being removed. You need to cleanup and get the recent ones.

Could be, i just notice with mine i get lots of U errors when battery is removed. He has plenty of those too :)

Forscan got where it would not pick up on the pcm most of the time. I tried a couple different obd2 scanners with the same results. I sent the pcm off to have it refurbished at SIA. It is worth a try. Don't want give up yet

Got the call yesterday from SIA. My PCM has unrepairable internal faults. Bittersweet.
At least I know why we could never get it running right. Where do I go from here? Is what I am thinking to myself. Every thing works on the car, even the cooled seats. I am not sure of the trans though, because it has been in fail safe mode ever since I have had it.
What would be the procedure if I decided to try and find a PCM? I have a 04 V6. Have many of you tried to go this route?

An 04 or 05 V6 PCM should work for you. (An 03 might work, but I would avoid 03 if you have any choice.) You will need the full Forscan to program the new PCM to your PATS module (in the cluster) and your keys. You will need at least two unique PATS keys (can't be cloned) to do this.

I wonder if you have bad coil(s) that killed it. I would be nervous about the cops. I think I would replace them before trying the new(used) PCM.

Hey man.
That sounds like bad news about your PCM.

Maybe you could experiment with getting one from the junk yard.
I have a 2005 V8 model.

The dealer told me that when those go then you may as well junk the car since no new ones are available.

Good luck with it..

In the worst case you can go with aftermarket ECU like Ecumaster or something similarly cheap. Most stuff is analog in this car , so it will work fine. Probably the most challenging will be the climate control :)

In the worst case you can go with aftermarket ECU like Ecumaster or something similarly cheap. Most stuff is analog in this car , so it will work fine. Probably the most challenging will be the climate control :)
Climate control, parking brake, transmission, fuel pump, instrument cluster, ...
Much, much easier to find and use a used OE PCM.

Oh well, I only have one key and it is a valet. That pretty much settles it. Thanks guys.

Oh well, I only have one key and it is a valet. That pretty much settles it. Thanks guys.
Valet or not does not matter. You can buy another PATS key and get it cut. (They do not have to be keys that ever worked with your car, they can be new keys.)

found a local mobile locksmith that will come and make me an ignition key for $90. Think I will go for it. Hey Joegr, that key and the valet will be good enough for the programming for Forscan, right? Just making sure before I get into this.

found a local mobile locksmith that will come and make me an ignition key for $90. Think I will go for it. Hey Joegr, that key and the valet will be good enough for the programming for Forscan, right? Just making sure before I get into this.
Yes, but you could get by much cheaper.
$10 key from eBay/Amazon, and get it cut using the valet key at your local ACE hardware for $5 or so.

Ok, as long as it is a transponder ignition key and has been cut to fit, it does not have to be programmed because it will be programmed by Forscan after(when) the new(old) computer is installed?
Forgive my ignorance guys, Joe, you are helping more than u realize, dude

Ok, as long as it is a transponder ignition key and has been cut to fit, it does not have to be programmed because it will be programmed by Forscan after(when) the new(old) computer is installed?
Forgive my ignorance guys, Joe, you are helping more than u realize, dude
Yes. In fact there is no way to program it before you put the new PCM in. Please note that the key itself does not get programmed. What happens is that the unique key code from the key is programmed into the PATS/PCM. You tell the car what keys to recognize, you don't tell the keys anything.

Members online

Back