I want to convert to air where do I start

Bullymong88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
As the title states I want to convert my 97 base from the old sagging coil spring to air and I don't know what I'm doing so I'm asking for some concrete places that still sell good parts
20200727_164906.jpg

IMO
Go with factory front bags from a gen 2 if you can there was just a set on fb for a good price
For the rear pick up some bags from anyone than a good set of shocks like konis
Hopefully your lines and air compressor are good. Even if the pump works change the mounts and new dryer

IMO
Go with factory front bags from a gen 2 if you can there was just a set on fb for a good price
For the rear pick up some bags from anyone than a good set of shocks like konis
Hopefully your lines and air compressor are good. Even if the pump works change the mounts and new dryer
K I'll get to looking thanks

you can get new front air struts on ebay for a pretty good price. Many here have Westar brand and have said good things about them. There is also Shockmasters that are less expensive but when I asked here, no one commented on them. When Auto zone sold Westar they had a lifetime guarantee - they no longer sell them.
Slowmarkviii is correct the Koni shocks are great for the rear, but almost impossible to find now.

you can get new front air struts on ebay for a pretty good price. Many here have Westar brand and have said good things about them. There is also Shockmasters that are less expensive but when I asked here, no one commented on them. When Auto zone sold Westar they had a lifetime guarantee - they no longer sell them.
Slowmarkviii is correct the Koni shocks are great for the rear, but almost impossible to find now.
The hardest thing is saving up for the parts with all this covid stuff going around its 1 step forward and 2 steps back

But as for parts assuming the previous owner gutted it I would need:
new lines
4 air bags (westar preferred based on y'all)
Compressor and dryer
Is that everything? Or am I missing some things. And thanks for the help I sometimes forget to thank people

But as for parts assuming the previous owner gutted it I would need:
new lines
4 air bags (westar preferred based on y'all)
Compressor and dryer
Is that everything? Or am I missing some things. And thanks for the help I sometimes forget to thank people
i would think the air lines would still be there, no need for anyone to take them out if they were converting air to springs. The compressor might still be there as well. Many are not sure if they will like coil springs after going from air and leave it all in just in case. Plus many others are smart enough to keep it all there, so the car can be put back to original - this increases the number of those interested should they decide to sell. Can you talk to the previous owner to confirm how it was done?
If not, just pull the front right inner plastic fender cover off to look for the compressor. I'm sure the two processors (one grey, one black) are in the front right interior. These are located behind the kick panel. You will need the wheel sensors, if they were removed - a quick visual at the upper control arms will confirm - while you are there make sure you have little ball that the sensor clicks on to - some that switched to springs have bought Super Coupe UCA's as they are cheaper. These do not come with that ball that is welded to the edge of the UCA - the height sensor has a clip that attaches to it. You will have to get underneath the rear (middle) to look for a single height sensor for the back. Of course make sure you jack up the car using the proper rear lifting points and always use safety stands before going underneath.
I just bought a set of Westar's for the front $339 usd, plus it will be free shipping for you in the USA. He only has two sets left and this is cheaper than the $214. for each at Autozone when they sold them.
Front Left & Right Suspension Air Strut for 1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII | eBay

see article written by Kale. Thanks Kale!! Its for lowering, but will help you identify and locate parts. This with that other diagram I gave you should help you find all. if some are not there, you will need to replace them:
Lowering Your Lincoln Air Suspension Sensor - Lincoln Mark VIII
s-l300.jpg
frontsensordiagram.gif

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
No the previous owner to me was my father but we don't speak for reasons that are personal the owner before him has passed so no dice there either but I pulled the fender liner and snapped a bunch of pics. The good news is the UCA has the ball you were talking about bad news is when I pulled the computer dunses with the buttons that control the display one of the clips broke and the little strip that lights up the green track off light popped out but I finally got that part in at least.

I didn't know what I was looking for so I took pictures of everything, our landlord warned me if I jackup the car in the parking lot one more time she's gonna kick us out for breaking the rental contact agreement

This is sort of what it’s supposed to look like. 1997 mark and is the drivers side I think.

C56DEBE1-471B-4EDC-8CD5-7C8CC17F32EB.jpeg

This is sort of what it’s supposed to look like. 1997 mark and is the drivers side I think.

View attachment 828574823
The solenoid won't be there with the air shock removed, but at least gives you an idea. I have the lower black air dam that runs underneath off of my M8 from redoing my brake line, I will try to get you some photos of the compressor/air dryer, this weekend.

air ride components.png

Members online

No members online now.
Back