Gen II LS V8 0-60 potential.

Rigga_2000

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings LS owners, I'm relatively new to these forums and the community, but I've lurked around enough to have a general idea of what mods are possible without big money and hassle. I haven't seen much of anything regarding 0-60 times on modded LS's, so I was wondering: What 0-60 times are possible on a lightly modded LS (K&N Thunderbird CAI, Magnaflow catback exhaust, aggressive SCT tune)? It is my understanding that such mods would give about 310hp and a 1/4 time of 14.2 on a good run, would that translate to a 0-60 time of under 6 seconds?

My only goals for this vehicle are to beat a Saturn Ion Redline, a Chrysler 300s AWD (with the 3.6), and a Chevy C10 with a small block (pre-LS) 350 swap. Thanks in advance, and apologies if my post comes off as naive or uninformed.

Last edited:
The guys doing that stuff left for greener pastures years ago. Dig through the archives and you might find something, but we didn't even have draggy when this car was interesting!
You'll also need to get a tune to get much benefit from the mods. See if Torrie is still selling them. I don't think "aggressive" is particularly an option unless you go custom. And that's expensive because this engine is so uncommon - just dig through what QwikLS and .... shoot, the two dudes that did turbo setups... what they went through.

I recently bought a K&N air filter and SCT tune from Torrie. From what I can tell the 0-60 is just above 6 seconds. I was getting 6.2-6.4 seconds with 3 grown men in the car, and of course with just a timer. Good luck!

I recently bought a K&N air filter and SCT tune from Torrie. From what I can tell the 0-60 is just above 6 seconds. I was getting 6.2-6.4 seconds with 3 grown men in the car, and of course with just a timer. Good luck!
How is the overall difference in the car? I just bought my tuner From Torrie as well. Is it the huge difference some claim to be? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Yeah I'm curious as well, I also have a 2013 f350 which I have cranked up to 600 horsepower and it absolutely destroys this car. I got a few issues to fix first but I wouldn't mind juicing up the Lincoln a little in the future maybe!

The tune definitely makes the LS even more fun to drive . I think the purchase was worth it although I didn't notice a huge improvement in performance, if I were to guess it gave no more than 20 more hp. Still a great purchase because it makes the car feel so much better. First of all you can finally get rid of that silly rev limiter in park/neutral up to 4200 rpm. The biggest change I noticed was that it basically completely reworks the transmission. The transmission is way more responsive although shifting at very high pressure. I would definitely recomend turning the shift pressure down with the tuner, especially for going in and out of second gear. Before changing the setting i was loosing some traction almost everytime I shifted.

Awesome that's all I was really expect is a better overall feel so it's good to hear. I appreciate the response.

The tune definitely makes the LS even more fun to drive . I think the purchase was worth it although I didn't notice a huge improvement in performance, if I were to guess it gave no more than 20 more hp. Still a great purchase because it makes the car feel so much better. First of all you can finally get rid of that silly rev limiter in park/neutral up to 4200 rpm. The biggest change I noticed was that it basically completely reworks the transmission. The transmission is way more responsive although shifting at very high pressure. I would definitely recomend turning the shift pressure down with the tuner, especially for going in and out of second gear. Before changing the setting i was loosing some traction almost everytime I shifted.
Also forgot to ask what pressure did you find works well. I got mine and the time today and I have to agree that second great in and out shift is a little bit too high. Other than that it's awesome deff makes the car much more response. Thanks in advance.

For what its worth, I ran a 14.7 @ 94 in my LS with the K&N Intake, and rear mufflers hacked off.

After the X4 with Torrie tune and on a different day at the same track, did a 14.3 @ 96.8mph. Both cases were 2.2X 60ft, so nothing really changing off the line, so to speak

The tune definitely helps optimize for (In my case) 93 octane, timing, and throttle response. The trans updates are more noticeable as others have noted. Torrie's tunes are great starting points. You can probably squeeze a bit more out of the car with a custom tune once you have the X4 on you. But for most, the Torrie tune and some logs back&forth to him is enough to get the LS dialed in. In my first LS, I remember not feeling like the tune did much, until I flashed back to stock a few weeks later to try and diagnose an issue and rule out the tune. It was then that I realized I wanted the tune back :D. While that car was a gen1 V8, similar e/t decrease there too. about 0.4 off the 1/4 mile. I flashed the car back to back at the track for that. HP/$ you likely wont find anything better for the LS

For what its worth, I ran a 14.7 @ 94 in my LS with the K&N Intake, and rear mufflers hacked off.

After the X4 with Torrie tune and on a different day at the same track, did a 14.3 @ 96.8mph. Both cases were 2.2X 60ft, so nothing really changing off the line, so to speak

The tune definitely helps optimize for (In my case) 93 octane, timing, and throttle response. The trans updates are more noticeable as others have noted. Torrie's tunes are great starting points. You can probably squeeze a bit more out of the car with a custom tune once you have the X4 on you. But for most, the Torrie tune and some logs back&forth to him is enough to get the LS dialed in. In my first LS, I remember not feeling like the tune did much, until I flashed back to stock a few weeks later to try and diagnose an issue and rule out the tune. It was then that I realized I wanted the tune back :D. While that car was a gen1 V8, similar e/t decrease there too. about 0.4 off the 1/4 mile. I flashed the car back to back at the track for that. HP/$ you likely wont find anything better for the LS
I appreciate the reply. Im deff happy so far with the tune and it's day and night in response. Feels much more lively. Has anyone had any trans issues long term with the former shifts for daily?

New member here i got my ls cheap 2006 ls sport from a kid who didn't do his home work for $1300. He thought it needed a waterpump job because it was over heating because of low coolant and the occasional smoke. Obviously it was just the legendary crack in the thermostat housing and he thought the calipers has seized up turns out to be the dust shield on both fronts wheels rubbing on the rotors. I drove it right off his property straight to autozone slap on some rotors, brakes, & housing($254)and drove it back to New York in 1hr
. Dont think it was ever registered by him because he only had the car for a short time. He ended up purchasing a brand new audi s5. my luck . Car is Lowered on 18" wheels, has K&N, and magnaflow exhaust, auto start, Pioneer Navigation with speaker upgrades with only 105k miles(no leak or rust whatsoever) str8 robbery if you ask me. I've been driving it day in and out My 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit only saw me during snow and rainy days. I have read that with a set tuner I can get a lil more pep can some one point me into the right direction and as far as more upgrades am I almost at the mas with this motor?
If I remember correctly...
1-2 -20%
2-3 -25%
3-4 -10%
4-5 0%

You'll be lucky to see a 15hp gain at max rpm.

The Chrysler 3.5 300's are easy... especially on the curves.

Even the hemi versions are easy in the curves.

Everybody wants to mess with the electronics... when there are other ways to get more torque to the wheels.

I've beaten a 412hp Mustang GT by a fender on a 1 mile drag. That's bone stock. No CAI, tune, exhaust work... nothin. He did have a 3rd pedal to play with though.

Not using SST mode... my LS will torque steer hard left when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Not as bad from 2nd to 3rd... but still noticeable at WOT.

(hint)... there are 2 drive bands in the transmission that require regular maintenance adjustments. If you adjust them a little on the "tight" side... it's noticeable. Not quite "shift kit" noticeable... but you can feel it. Plus the shift to 3rd is more solid too.

Regular trans fluid and filter changes help too.

So with all that work done its still under 300hp this car feel way quicker. Traction off I'm burning tires 1-3 gear from a stand still. I'm guessing there isn't any supercharge/turbo option i can go with on this motor to slap on another 100hp?

Look in the "LS Performance" section of this forum for ideas to make more power.

Mine is bone stock... but like I said... I managed to beat a 412hp Mustang GT. Won't try that again. Too many miles on the car now... with original timing chains and cam phasers.

Look in the "LS Performance" section of this forum for ideas to make more power.

Mine is bone stock... but like I said... I managed to beat a 412hp Mustang GT. Won't try that again. Too many miles on the car now... with original timing chains and cam phasers.
Nothing wrong with liking it how it is but I can deff say it's a day and night difference with this tune. The whole car feels better on response and overall performance. It was decent for the size but felt sluggish before but with the tune it woke the whole car up. I'm very happy with it. Only thing I have done is the hacked excaust intake and tune and it deff feels much better. As far as the 425hp mustang either it was getting 0 traction, the person didn't know how to drive, or there was something very wrong with it if you beat it bone stock. I've owned a few of these but this is the first one I've ever put a tune on and modded at all. It's an extra car so I didn't feel bad messing with it. I would be pretty hard pressed to beat a 425hp mustang with the kids let alone stock config if the mustang is running and driven right

Not that it matters that much... but I said 412hp... not 425. Beyond that... like I mentioned he had a clutch to play with. I also think he had taller gears in the rear. Probably 3.23... whereas my LS Sport has the 3.58's.

Whatever it was... or how it happened... it was enough to send him home with his tail between his legs.

I wouldn't try it again... just because of the milage on the car now.

Members online

Back