Transmission slip

Poem 58

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ,

I have noticed on my 1994 mark viii when iam cruising around 60 mph the trans downshifts for no apparent reason. Also a few time slipped in a lower speed, but only occasionally, any ideas?

Could be a broken valve spring. This would make the trans slip into a different gear at random. Definitely needs a trans guy to pull the valve body and check the valve springs/cylinders.

I would make sure your shifter cable is not worn/stretched... and is adjuted properly.

Also... probably wouldn't hurt to change out your MLPS... also known as neutral safety switch... reverse light switch... gear selector switch... etc.

Last time I saw such "range hunting" it transmission - it was a speed sensor. No other simptoms - correct speed at instrument cluster, no problems in any of the modules using speed sensor data - just speed hunting in special conditions (2-3-2-3-2-3 or 3-4-3-4-3-4 several times in cosistent driving conditions).

I took the car to a transmission shop and they said the yoke seal is leaking, so I'm going to have this fixed and go from there. The car only has 42000 miles thanks guys for your input

Is it really leaking (fluid level going low, fluid on the ground), or is it just seeping a little (just damp around it)?
Unless the fluid level is low, this will have nothing to do with your problems.
This "shop" wasn't AAMCO or another chain was it? Find a good local independent shop, the one that all the other repair shops farm their transmission work out to.

It is pretty reputable shop he said add fluid once a week probably a fairly good leak amoco. Thanks for your advice

Hey guys I just wanted to ask you all about my 2004 Lincoln Ls 6 v transmission problems anyone who has had problem with there I need to ask you some question about it

Hey guys I just wanted to ask you all about my 2004 Lincoln Ls 6 v transmission problems anyone who has had problem with there I need to ask you some question about it

There are lots of threads on the LS forum about various transmission problems. My 04 had the solenoid assembly replaced around 60K miles, and the fluid additive before that. It was still working perfectly at 220K miles when I traded it. On my 06 I had to have a complete transmission rebuild (clutches gone) a little before 200K miles. It was never as smooth as the 04, and still isn't (about 216K miles).

The main problems seem to be:
Solenoid assembly faults
Spring failure in the valve body
Worn out servo bores
Broken servos
Worn out clutches

Members online

No members online now.
Back