LS 2001 V6 Gen1 Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement

Tony obrien

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Been banging my head on this. First I thought it was behind the starter, but now gather it is above the alternator. If that is the case do I need to remove the alternator to get to it, and if so do I need to remove the fan to do so or is there a better way to replace the CPS? Thanks in advance for any assistance and guidance.

Been banging my head on this. First I thought it was behind the starter, but now gather it is above the alternator. If that is the case do I need to remove the alternator to get to it, and if so do I need to remove the fan to do so or is there a better way to replace the CPS? Thanks in advance for any assistance and guidance.
"Position the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and install the bolt."
I have both the 2001 V8 and 2001 V6 Workshop Manual given to me by a member on here username DaleGribs ...ask him for it I'm sure he will send it to you ...I can't copy and paste any pictures for you but from what I can see it's right by the CrankShaft pulley

The CKP sensor is on the back of tranny

EF708EB6-7F22-4FF2-BA40-B0A43CFB3FBC.gif

It’s literally a 5 min job... lift front of car. Scoot under. Look and there it is. Remove 2 screws and slide it out. Did 3 weeks ago

Thanks for all the replies. So there are now 3 different possibilities.
On the V8 it is. His is a V6 and he is asking about the V6.
Thanks. Can you confirm that for the v6 gen 1 it is closer to the alternator near the crank, and if so best way to get to it?

I have both the 2001 V8 and 2001 V6 Workshop Manual given to me by a member on here username DaleGribs ...ask him for it I'm sure he will send it to you ...I can't copy and paste any pictures for you but from what I can see it's right by the CrankShaft pulley
Will do.

AmsterDutch, I could not find the member you referenced. I believe you are correct. Where any steps described to replace it?
Just wondering if I need to pull the fan out.

AmsterDutch, I could not find the member you referenced. I believe you are correct. Where any steps described to replace it?
Just wondering if I need to pull the fan out.
It said you could disconnect the crankshaft sensor connector before disconnecting generator/alternator kn rhe engine dismantling...so I assume you wouldn't need to disconnect the alternator at all in order to reach it ...looks like it's right behind the Crankshaft pulley

Members online

Back