Gen 1 V8 Refrigerant leak question

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
In the last two years, I have had to recharge my a/c system about one year apart as it's got a very slow leak somewhere. (I have used the stuff that is supposed to help with leaks but it didn't seem to make much difference as it lasted maybe a month longer this time around.) On these cars what would be the common areas that they tend to leak from? I know the only way to find out where it is leaking is by using a dye or sniff tester or paying someone to find it. Gonna try to grab some Dye when I refill the system so I might see where it is leaking from. But was just wanting to have an idea if possible where the trouble points tend to be. It's not something I would want to go crazy with breaking the bank to find such a small issue but if it's something within reason then I would try to tackle it before the summer gets here.

The port fitting itself is prone to leaking. There is a tool for threading them in and out. Maybe just a little tightening is all that is needed. Mine was vertical on my Continental and with a few drops of oil in the fitting showed a slow bubble leak. I personally would stay away from leak sealing additives. Also with that slow of a leak you may not be loosing any oil. A lot of the small charging cans of 134a contain oil. Too much oil in the system will decrease cooling efficiency.

The scroll control valve cover o-ring seems to be a common leak. Both of my LSes had this leak.
The low and high side port valves can leaks. One of my LSes did this.
Of course it could be at any of the connection o-rings.
Your hoses may have refrigerant seeping out. The hoses on my 04 are doing this pretty badly (UV dye all over them) near the firewall.
It's possible to get a pin-hole in the condenser due to rock strikes.
Pray it's not the evaporator or the expansion valve.

Anyway, I have found the a UV LED flashlight and UV dye works really well for finding leaks. The factory oil should have had some dye in it, but it sounds like you've replaced that already.

The scroll control valve cover o-ring seems to be a common leak. Both of my LSes had this leak.
The low and high side port valves can leaks. One of my LSes did this.
Of course it could be at any of the connection o-rings.
Your hoses may have refrigerant seeping out. The hoses on my 04 are doing this pretty badly (UV dye all over them) near the firewall.
It's possible to get a pin-hole in the condenser due to rock strikes.
Pray it's not the evaporator or the expansion valve.

Anyway, I have found the a UV LED flashlight and UV dye works really well for finding leaks. The factory oil should have had some dye in it, but it sounds like you've replaced that already.

Thanks @joegr I will try to get some dye in the system to check it out. I am not sure if this might be pointing to the problem or not. But I can say that when the refrigerant leaked out both years, the actual Coolant system had been worked on cause of overheating. I had nice cold air before the first time any of the radiator and hoses had been changed, but after I got it back from that repair is when I had to replace the refrigerant for the first time. This year when working on the replacing aux coolant pump and the heater valve is when it happened again. When my heater valve was changed the hydraulic fan was removed to help out with space in that area. Not sure if this can help point anything else out any more but I figured I would say it since I thought about how it has done this both times when working on the coolant system on this car. I think I might be overthinking this leak but I figured I would say it anyway.

Last edited:
My 01V6 had the port valves start to leak after 15 years. The red bands on the valve stem crack when they get old. Also get the kit which includes new caps. The caps provide a seal if the valve stems fail.

Members online

No members online now.
Back