Thinking about selling....

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So when I came into buying this 2004 LS, I bought it with memories of my first one at heart. My 2002 LS V8 was a sweetheart. Picked 'er up with 115,000 kms (71k miles) and drove it over the course of 8 years. I was 20 years old, and I showed it off to all my friends and family. I loved that car. I did synthetic oil changes every 5k (3.1k miles). Put mods on it, and drove it like a bat outta hell. Used $10 ebay coils and never once fixed the coolant system. She got a few bumps and scrapes over the years, but I had those parts painted to look beautiful again. But she wasn't without issues.
At 220k, one thing after another. Mostly suspension stuff, and 3 calipers had been replaced. 3 window motors too. But at that high mileage, its understandable.

It was painful the day I sold it. I didn't want to let her go, but she just needed too much on the suspension (+ the ABS module had issues). So It was time.

This 2004 LS....

This car is something else. This is now my 3rd LS to purchase. Some of you might have been here in 2012 to remember the 2005 Gold LS I had. I ended up selling that one after 2 years due to it having constant issues with the ignition system. Previous owner did not take care of it, and it had a cracked cylinder head. Made a deal with a buddy (and told him about it) and let her go.
Fast forward, I bought this LS in Sept 2018 with 105k on it (65k miles). I put 25k kms on it, and in that 25k , its been non stop. NON stop.

*Interior pieces failed, had to glue and repair various parts.
*Wiper fluid motor failed. Replaced
*DCCV failed. Replaced
*Thermostat failed and housing. Both replaced
*Coils failed. Replaced with sparks
*Throttle body cleaned by mechanic (Labour)

*Now I am facing a coolant system overhaul.
*Still battling with the Failsafe (swapped coils today, hopefully will solve).
*not sure if break system has a leak, I noticed break fluid level dropped. Is that normal with pads decreasing?
*Rear suspension makes noise or when getting out of the car. Not sure what yet, needs to be looks at by mechanic.
*Throttle body still has slow pickup when neutral rev. Bought one from scrap, sitting in back seat lol. Might put it on when weather warms.

Car has 130k (81k miles).... ... I know age is a problem, but mileage is low. And this seems like the tip of the ice burg. This is a 2004. I had my mechanic look up the work done via carfax, and we cant find anything on the Solenoid pack on the transmission being done (Ford doesn't give a sh*t about Canadians and never recalled ANYTHING ON THE LS here). So I could be faced with that Preventative Repair soon, to save my transmission from blowing itself up.

When is it going to end? Never, its a used car. But, can a guy get a few months to breath without something else going wrong?

I'm sorry if this sounds complainy. It's not meant to be. Im actually very depressed as I write this because of how much I like the LS, but after calculating my expenses monthly, I realized I can be driving a nice import luxury car with warranty and have some reliability for the same monthly costs of repair to the LS. I dont wan't to sell the LS. I love the way it drives and how it handles. But the costs involved on keeping this one on the road.. its just not gonna get any better is it?

Last edited:
So when I came into buying this 2004 LS, I bought it with memories of my first one at heart. My 2002 LS V8 was a sweetheart. Picked 'er up with 115,000 kms (71k miles) and drove it over the course of 8 years. I was 20 years old, and I showed it off to all my friends and family. I loved that car. I did synthetic oil changes every 5k (3.1k miles). Put mods on it, and drove it like a bat outta hell. Used $10 ebay coils and never once fixed the coolant system. She got a few bumps and scrapes over the years, but I had those parts painted to look beautiful again. But she wasn't without issues.
At 220k, one thing after another. Mostly suspension stuff, and 3 calipers had been replaced. 3 window motors too. But at that high mileage, its understandable.

It was painful the day I sold it. I didn't want to let her go, but she just needed too much on the suspension (+ the ABS module had issues). So It was time.

This 2004 LS....

This car is something else. This is now my 3rd LS to purchase. Some of you might have been here in 2012 to remember the 2005 Gold LS I had. I ended up selling that one after 2 years due to it having constant issues with the ignition system. Previous owner did not take care of it, and it had a cracked cylinder head. Made a deal with a buddy (and told him about it) and let her go.
Fast forward, I bought this LS in Sept 2018 with 105k on it (65k miles). I put 25k kms on it, and in that 25k , its been non stop. NON stop.

*Interior pieces failed, had to glue and repair various parts.
*Wiper fluid motor failed. Replaced
*DCCV failed. Replaced
*Thermostat failed and housing. Both replaced
*Coils failed. Replaced with sparks
*Throttle body cleaned by mechanic (Labour)

*Now I am facing a coolant system overhaul.
*Still battling with the Failsafe (swapped coils today, hopefully will solve).
*not sure if break system has a leak, I noticed break fluid level dropped. Is that normal with pads decreasing?
*Rear suspension makes noise or when getting out of the car. Not sure what yet, needs to be looks at by mechanic.
*Throttle body still has slow pickup when neutral rev. Bought one from scrap, sitting in back seat lol. Might put it on when weather warms.

Car has 130k (81k miles).... ... I know age is a problem, but mileage is low. And this seems like the tip of the ice burg. This is a 2004. I had my mechanic look up the work done via carfax, and we cant find anything on the Solenoid pack on the transmission being done (Ford doesn't give a sh*t about Canadians and never recalled ANYTHING ON THE LS here). So I could be faced with that Preventative Repair soon, to save my transmission from blowing itself up.

When is it going to end? Never, its a used car. But, can a guy get a few months to breath without something else going wrong?

I'm sorry if this sounds complainy. It's not meant to be. Im actually very depressed as I write this because of how much I like the LS, but after calculating my expenses monthly, I realized I can be driving a nice import luxury car with warranty and have some reliability for the same monthly costs of repair to the LS. I dont wan't to sell the LS. I love the way it drives and how it handles. But the costs involved on keeping this one on the road.. its just not gonna get any better is it?
I feel the aggravation ...and I know that when buying a used car it's like tossing a coin..shaking the dice...and flipping a card...basically my point is used cars are a gamble ...and no matter what MAKE AND MODEL you buy ...some will run flawlessly and others will be a straight lemon

Thank you brother. I'm aggravated and frustrated. One part of me wants to keep the LS. The other part wants an Q50 Infiniti lol.
But then, do I want monthly payments?

I agree used cars is a gamble. Warranty is a must if you're gonna pay decent money.

I think this LS is a straight Lemon. Everything that can go wrong with a 2004 LS, seems to be definitively going wrong on my LS.

Brake fluid dropping with pad wear is normal, though that doesn't guarantee there isn't a leak though. Gen 2s revving slow in P/N is also normal

I don't think recalls were all that extensive on the LS here. There's a difference between a recall and a special TSB. Recalls are for major safety issues. TSBs are just files that tell the tech "when you see this particular symptom, this is how you fix it". Quickly looking, I'm only seeing recalls for soft wheels that missed heat treating, undertorqued ball joints, and gas tank cracking from a thinned section. They extended the warranty on coils for certain years, too (which only replaced one defective coil at a time anyway). Not a whole lot of support for the LS anywhere

Parts scarcity and pricing isn't really any better in the US. Just about everything is obsolete now

I understand your position. I love my LS and will never sell it, but the number of creaks, knocks, and rattles I can put up with seems to be growing. I keep all the safety and reliability issues in check, of course. But flaked paint, a dent in the hood, and probably a rattling torque converter? They're not priorities yet

Yet, I know the LS so well, I still occasionally shop for a gen 2 V6 as a beater. My parking situation is the only thing holding me back from grabbing one for $1000 locally

Ya and that's a solid point you brought up. The parts scarcity.
I did find that Ford does carry some parts, but they are out to lunch on the pricing. $1300 for a throttle body? I bought mine used for $150.
$200 per COP?
$300 for a DCCV? I bought new on Amazon for $60.

Perhaps the car isn't for people who rely on mechanics to get the complicated stuff done. FDR, I think you helped me figure out what I want to do.

I have done good work on this LS. Rust proofed. You can see my interior build, all professional. And I keep up with maintenance and repairs.

I live in the GTA of Ontario. If anyone is interested in this LS, or have a friend whose looking, PM me.
I'd be willing to let her go.

some will run flawlessly and others will be a straight lemon
I know, I jumped into the Ls without doing extensive enough research, because I fell in love with it. I am just worried I am gonna have to do a crap load of repairs soon.

I feel the pain, the Ls is amazing, but it comes to a point of how much you love it and how liberal you are with your money.
This car is amazing to drive ...far and few Sedans match how the Lincoln LS handles ...that is why I fell in love with this car...driving it is just fun ...hands down a blast ro drive and I like to drive aggressively and this car matches my mind...long story short if my 2002 wasn't a V8 and LSE black on black there is no way I would've dropped $3000 for a transmission rebuild ...but damn every time I'm driving this car ...I have a small smile on my face

This car is amazing to drive ...far and few Sedans match how the Lincoln LS handles ...that is why I fell in love with this car...driving it is just fun ...hands down a blast ro drive and I like to drive aggressively and this car matches my mind...long story short if my 2002 wasn't a V8 and LSE black on black there is no way I would've dropped $3000 for a transmission rebuild ...but damn every time I'm driving this car ...I have a small smile on my face
I agree. My previous car was a 4 cyl 2.4L. When I got in this car, the power, handling, and comfort were an unbelievable upgrade. I also enjoy an aggressive drive, and this car delivers. It is sad to see any Ls go.

This car is amazing to drive ...far and few Sedans match how the Lincoln LS handles

Sport suspension, V8, RWD, luxury. Nowadays you gotta pay $80 grand + for that combination. But thats why everyone who has ever owned a LS, loves how they drive. Its a perfect combination of things. Mercedes makes this (E550), but you're in for a hellova rough ride for parts costs and repairs. But a worthy vehicle to replace the LS none the less.

IMO, a 3 year used Infiniti Q50 comes pretty close. It out classes the LS for features, and can handle just as well. You can tune it to RWD, or leave it AWD.

Just gotta learn to like that VQ rasp sound.

Some people go BMW. I wouldn't. Sure it will drive sporty, but actually look at skid pad tests on BMW. Very bad scores for a "luxury sport" brand. BMW is all hype, no action.
And they are sub par luxury on anything less than $80k
The 335 N55's can 0-60 in the 4 second range. But then, so can a Charger SRT or Mustang GT, for half the cost. And those two dont 'give up' after 120mph.
Their V8's are known for burning mad oil, and valve seals fail. IMO BMW is just bad value.

Last edited:
Sport suspension, V8, RWD, luxury. Nowadays you gotta pay $80 grand + for that combination. But thats why everyone who has ever owned a LS, loves how they drive. Its a perfect combination of things. Mercedes makes this (E550), but you're in for a hellova rough ride for parts costs and repairs. But a worthy vehicle to replace the LS none the less.

IMO, a 3 year used Infiniti Q50 comes pretty close. It out classes the LS for features, and can handle just as well. You can tune it to RWD, or leave it AWD.

Just gotta learn to like that VQ rasp sound.

Some people go BMW. I wouldn't. Sure it will drive sporty, but actually look at skid pad tests on BMW. Very bad scores for a "luxury sport" brand. BMW is all hype, no action.
And they are sub par luxury on anything less than $80k
The 335 N55's can 0-60 in the 4 second range. But then, so can a Charger SRT or Mustang GT, for half the cost. And those two dont 'give up' after 120mph.
Their V8's are known for burning mad oil, and valve seals fail. IMO BMW is just bad value.
Way to many head gasket issues for BMW and I agree the ride is like a wagon...hence the Volks-Wagon ...but Infiniti is a great Luxury vehicle with lots of attitude to match its stylish curves ...not a big Asian car guy..had a Honda back in the day it ran like a top but no luxury at all...but the Infiniti brand is way more sophisticated than any Honda and Toyota ...if you find yourself yearning for an LS they are almost a dime a dozen now days and I'm sure you could pick one up for $1000 with quite a bit of life left in it after you get the Infiniti paid about halfway down

The other part wants an Q50 Infiniti lo
You could check out the rare Infiniti Q45. The Q45 was Infiniti’s flagship luxury sports sedan from 1998-2006 before turning into the M series and now back to the Q Series (Q70). It was made to compete with the German giants BMW & Audi’s luxury and quality while offering a lower price. Not too low though, this car had a MSRP of $56,000 back in 2005.

The car is rear wheel drive and has a 4.5 liter V8 that boasts 340 horsepower. Gas mileage is 23 highway and 17 in the city. It has brand new spark plugs and brake pads and drives like a dream. It’s equipped with all-season tires that allow it to handle snowy and icy conditions better than most front wheel drive.

This is sad to say the least. I'm in Windsor, the LS is my first car. To quote the ls ss:

I know, I jumped into the Ls without doing extensive enough research, because I fell in love with it. I am just worried I am gonna have to do a crap load of repairs soon.

Explains exactly how I'm feeling. My LS has over 200,000 kilometers and at this point I'm considering myself lucky for not having tons of issues. Your journey sounds like a nightmare. Although I did just start having that god-awful noise from the rear suspension. It sounds like i'm driving around an old bed frame at the moment.

This is sad to say the least. I'm in Windsor, the LS is my first car. To quote the ls ss:

Explains exactly how I'm feeling. My LS has over 200,000 kilometers and at this point I'm considering myself lucky for not having tons of issues. Your journey sounds like a nightmare. Although I did just start having that god-awful noise from the rear suspension. It sounds like i'm driving around an old bed frame at the moment.
*high five* That makes three of us with rear suspension noises. We should make a club. I bought some white lithium grease to see if that fixes it. U guess we will see.

LMAO, let me know if you find a solution. I'm desperate to rid of this god-awful sound.

It somewhat depends on what brand of parts they use, but probably about $1000 for both sides.

I hope that's not expensive... what's a reasonable price a mechanic would charge do you think?
Depending on how mechanically knowledgeable you are, you should do it yourself. Mechanics charge a lot, and you can get some valuable experience. It shouldnt be that hard, just be sure to note where you take everything from and put it back in place. If you need a tutorial search youtube, they would have a video, although not for the Ls specifically.

Depending on how mechanically knowledgeable you are, you should do it yourself. Mechanics charge a lot, and you can get some valuable experience. It shouldnt be that hard, just be sure to note where you take everything from and put it back in place. If you need a tutorial search youtube, they would have a video, although not for the Ls specifically.

Yeah, I've always wanted to do my own repairs but I don't have a driveway or a garage to do them in. Maybe ill ask my girlfriend's dad if I could use his lot... now to find the right parts. How do you source your parts?

Yeah, I've always wanted to do my own repairs but I don't have a driveway or a garage to do them in. Maybe ill ask my girlfriend's dad if I could use his lot... now to find the right parts. How do you source your parts?
You should be able to find it on ebay, otherwise rockauto will have it.

Last edited:
$1000 USD or CAD? LOL

Whats the risk of, say, not fixing this? XD

USD.
I don't think there's much risk. The handling will degrade as it gets worse. When it gets very much worse, the tires may start to wear more. I don't think the wheels are in any real danger of falling off though.

Members online

Back