Thinking about selling....

Whats the risk of, say, not fixing this? XD
Joegr is undoubtedly right, but you will drive around with your car sounding like a piece of trash. I lent my car to my sister and hearing her drive by was painful, a nice looking car with a terrible squeak.

Ah. Well considering my coolant system wants to blow up and my solenoid pack has never been replaced, at this point, how it sounds driving by is the least of my worries.

Mines not terribly loud right now, but its noticeable on the driver side rear. I think my exhaust drone drowns it out for now :p

Good to know. I sprayed some WD-40 on every bushing/bearing I could see (without taking the wheel off) and the noise has seemed to went away, at least temporarily. It took about a day for the sound to stop.

Ah. Well considering my coolant system wants to blow up and my solenoid pack has never been replaced, at this point, how it sounds driving by is the least of my worries.
Ahhhh, I am really hoping my cooling system will hold on, I cant really afford a rebuild.

Guys, when you're ready, get a Kia Stinger with the v6. It's faster, more comfortable, has more features, and is aggressively priced. I really liked my '02 LS when it was my daily, and now it's downright painful to go back to it. The stinger doesn't look like an anime toy (civic), it's rwd, easy upgrades to get over 400 whp.... Kia the brand and Kia the dealerships are still absolute trash, and this car will probably end up abandoned like the LS, but it is a worthy successor.

Guys, when you're ready, get a Kia Stinger with the v6. It's faster, more comfortable, has more features, and is aggressively priced. I really liked my '02 LS when it was my daily, and now it's downright painful to go back to it. The stinger doesn't look like an anime toy (civic), it's rwd, easy upgrades to get over 400 whp.... Kia the brand and Kia the dealerships are still absolute trash, and this car will probably end up abandoned like the LS, but it is a worthy successor.

Ok So I've seen the Stinger brought up here before. Here's my take on this:
Assuming you are talking MSRP NEW, and assuming you want to be similar in size as the MID SIZE Lincoln LS:

Here's whats working against the Stinger:
Acura / Infiniti / Lexus are equally priced. The TLX AWD, Q50, and Lexus IS 300 are better in terms of reliability and features, with base models equal to the stinger MSRP.
The Pro for the stinger is it offers a little bit more power at 365 HP, However Infiniti offers the Red Sport @ 400 HP for a little more money.

The other problem the Stinger faces is Chrysler. Stinger is now in Charger R/T Territory, with a 5.7 Hemi 370HP. Hemi's have boat loads of after market, they feature the Cylinder Deactivation, and have more interior space than all the Japanese / Korean models mentioned above. Chargers also feature Chryslers 8 Inch Nav with live traffic through Garmin, and luxury leather interior.
You can also find a Chyrsler 300 SRT for that price (slightly used) which blows the doors off everything mentioned, not only HP, but also luxury.

I wont bother with German makes since they charge double for half the reliability :rolleyes:

If you're looking to get away from the LS, its probably because of:
A) You want a new car that blows the LS away. Look at the Charger R/T or slightly used 300 SRT
B) You cant keep up with the ill fated reliability of the LS, and basically want the same car with good reliability. In that case, look at the Jap cars.

Last edited:
I went out Saturday to test drive an Infiniti. At the lot next door to this, there was this really beautiful Jaguar XF 5.0. Of course, we had to drive it. That was a really, really hard car to walk away from.

I went out Saturday to test drive an Infiniti. At the lot next door to this, there was this really beautiful Jaguar XF 5.0. Of course, we had to drive it. That was a really, really hard car to walk away from.

Im surprised the XF or the XJL doesn’t get mentioned much when the “LS replacement topic” comes up. A member bought an XF several years back and ever since I saw his sig, I’ve always been attracted to the mid-model (2012+) XF.

However, one thing I’ve always disliked about the LS is the interior space, especially now that I have a family. A modern car seat pushes the passenger seat so far forward that any passenger sitting up front over 5 ft has their knees in their throat. From what I’ve read online, the XF is even more cramped. In comes the XJL. Same engine family, and almost same weight, thanks to all aluminum frame (a la LS) and much more comfort. 380hp for the 5.0 and 470hp for the supercharged version so you got plenty of muscle to work with.

Jaguar depreciates very poorly, with 2012/13 models and decent mileage in the low-to-mid teens. These were 50-70k cars depending on trim and engine choice. To me, it’s the logical LS replacement if someone (including myself) look to sell while staying in the same LS bloodline.

Im surprised the XF or the XJL doesn’t get mentioned much when the “LS replacement topic” comes up. ......

Jaguar depreciates very poorly, .

Well you answered why, in a nutshell. Look up any used Lexus, and you will be paying through your nose for it, unless its terribly old. Reliability is king, and cars that are more reliable, tend to fetch more in the used market. Infiniti is slightly less reliable than Acura and, as such you can find Q50's for a little less than TLX's. But TL's are nothing more than glorified Accords. Who wants a FWD Honda?

The Jags depreciate fairly quickly a la LS, because they have issues. Thats why LS's depreciated quick during production; nobody wanted them used. The JAG isn't replacing the LS as much as basically buying the LS again, just revised with more features and power.

Lets be real. Nobody here would buy an LS new knowing the issues it has. If you buy a JAG, you WILL have issues, it WILL be costly, and you WILL regret it somewhere down the road.

Well you answered why, in a nutshell. Look up any used Lexus, and you will be paying through your nose for it, unless its terribly old. Reliability is king, and cars that are more reliable, tend to fetch more in the used market. Infiniti is slightly less reliable than Acura and, as such you can find Q50's for a little less than TLX's. But TL's are nothing more than glorified Accords. Who wants a FWD Honda?

The Jags depreciate fairly quickly a la LS, because they have issues. Thats why LS's depreciated quick during production; nobody wanted them used. The JAG isn't replacing the LS as much as basically buying the LS again, just revised with more features and power.

Lets be real. Nobody here would buy an LS new knowing the issues it has. If you buy a JAG, you WILL have issues, it WILL be costly, and you WILL regret it somewhere down the road.

You have a point but there is a counter argument:

1. Yes, Jaguar ranks lower on reliability, but it’s middle of the pack. I think I hear this now because of historical bias (80s-00s). Across the board vehicle reliability has gone up, and Jaguar is no exception. These models specifically I’ve only heard of a water pump issue on 5.0L Pre-2012, a seal leak and some oddball interior issues (ie 2009-2012 dashboard cover warping). Now if you go 2013 and newer, the 8-speed was problematic, but it seems all manufactures had that issue when 8-speeds came to market until the last few years.

2. Isn’t it relative to pay premium price for a Lexus and pay lower price for Jaguar and some added maintenance costs? Sure it’s less headache to deal with maintenance but it all breaks even eventually.

Clearly, I’m partial to Jaguar just like I am the LS. They’re somewhat unique in their segments and that’s what draws me to them. Most members here put in their own wrench time to varying degrees, so I think we’re more willing to gamble on a used car like an LS/XF/XJ. And all things mechanical are just that...a gamble on reliability.

Members online

Back