What was your first/recommended LS upgrade?

FlavourShot

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for things to do to my car to make it run better. I see all of you with those beautiful modified Lincolns and I wanna join in.

Replace the spark plugs and the COPs with the latest factory COPs.
Replace all the cooling system plastic parts with new factory parts.
Replace the coolant.

Replace the spark plugs and the COPs with the latest factory COPs.
Replace all the cooling system plastic parts with new factory parts.
Replace the coolant.

Cool, thanks. I'm a bit confused on what you mean by "latest factory" parts though. Like just brand new versions of what I already have in there?

Cool, thanks. I'm a bit confused on what you mean by "latest factory" parts though. Like just brand new versions of what I already have in there?

The latest rev of the factory COPs seem to last forever, unlike the previous ones that were good for 50K or so miles.

I have never heard the term COP before, what is it?

From what I've learned it's where the each ignition coil services their own cylinder to make a voltage directly to its spark plug instead of the alternative where one ignition coil will service two cylinders at once. That may be correct, I'm not sure.

Oh yeah I remember hearing about that. Thanks for filling me in.

Last edited:
Replacing the H11 low beam with the H9 high beam was the most cost effective mod I ever did. You should clean up your headlight lenses with a sylvania headlight restoration kit if they're badly oxidized.

Read this post (the whole thread is great)
REAL OFFICIAL LINCOLN LS OWNERS GUIDE!!!! Basic tips and info.

Two other cheap upgrades that were also easy but you'll have to look them up on the message board:
- Replace 2000 console / flip-up cupholders with 2002
- Replace leather shifter knob with wood grain

Aye, a headlight replacement is definitely in the works. Which specific bulbs did you buy?

I'm assuming you have a first Gen (00-02).
This advice is for performance.

Replace the exhaust. Magnaflow Cat Back. Stock on the first LS's were too tight. (2.0 inch). You'll gain about 15lbs torque just from exhaust.

Replace your intake. Again, stock intake are trash. Use AEM lifetime filters. I hear K&N is good too.

Lastly, locate an unlocked Tuner (SCT Xcal 2 or Xcal 3, make sure it's for FORD).
Then contact Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning and buy a Street Tune for your LS.
Load it in your Xcal, follow instructions, and flash your ECU. More HP and Torque, better shifts, better mpg.

**Torrie does sell Xcals, but they're brand new msrp. Up to you to buy new**
Those 3 basic mods make a wallop of a difference on 00-02 LS's

Unleashed Tuning - Horsepower is easy, traction is the real problem!

Replacing the H11 low beam with the H9 high beam was the most cost effective mod I ever did.
Gen 1 low beam is 9006, meaning 9012 is the upgrade
H11>H9 is gen 2 low beam

Both gens have 9005 highs which could be replaced with 9011 if you wanted, though I'm not a fan of the gen 1 high beam but a huge fan of the stock gen 2 high

**Torrie does sell Xcals, but they're brand new msrp. Up to you to buy new**
Those 3 basic mods make a wallop of a difference on 00-02 LS's

They only have the X4 and Livewire for sale, which are no longer compatible with at LEAST gen 1 due to some federal emissions patch. I had to find an x3 locally. The original version of the X4 is ok, but I don't know how to check compatibility. Everything on my new x4 worked fine until I went to upload. It read everything fine

2003 to 2006 is the 2nd gen. 2nd gen has good factory exhaust. I really don't think there is much to be done to gain horsepower.
V8 or V6?

Still has choke points. Between the resonator and muffler it goes to 2.0 inch. I widened mine. Not nearly as much gain as a 1st Gen, unless you tune.

Well I thought that too till I learned the Cobras had the factory install the Bassani X-pipe at 2.5 diameter piping. I had replaced the stock center chamber on my 04 LS Sport 3.9 with the X-pipe and covered the entire exhaust in Kaowool ceramic and fiberglass insulation with an aluminum skin to contain/protect. This one component replacement has made the most significant performance improvement that allow the mid-range power 2500-3000 rpm.to be realized. Acceleration is much improved also. The original system including the manifolds were wrapped in insulation and had a slight performance improvement but the end goal was to get the under body and engine bay heat under control. The carpet, shifter assembly seal, shifter cable plastic, drive shaft couplers, and other rubber items are affected by this intense heat 700-1100 °F. The exhaust manifolds covers were Kaowool lined and sealed with Permatex 650°F silicone on the exhaust steel gaskets The steel layer gasket were suspected of allow heat to deteriorate the valve cover gaskets. Other observations were the transmission shifting became a little more prompt hot as well as cold by not distorting the servo bores. An educated guess. I had replaced the trans in 17 with an Aamco lifetime with 20k service intervals. Excellent service at 75k on this one.

20191224_141316.jpg

20190311_174341.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back