Transmission fluid

joshua

LVC Member
Reaction score
Other day I went to go change the oil and made a rookie mistake and ended up draining the transmission fluid. How do I add fresh transmission fluid is it a pump w a adapter to fill because no transmission dipstick?

Other day I went to go change the oil and made a rookie mistake and ended up draining the transmission fluid. How do I add fresh transmission fluid is it a pump w a adapter to fill because no transmission dipstick?
The way I have found easy to fill it is to use a garden sprayer. Just to cut the sprayer part off so you have a hose that will go into the fill hole and then you can pump it back in much faster.

41TWObwKAEL._SCLZZZZZZZ__US142_.jpg

It's $4.99 on Amazon and fits any quart size bottle

I don't need adapter
No just put the hose into the fill hole and pump the fluid into the Pan...if you don't feel comfortable enough to do it a shop will do for a small fee ...I'm sure any good indy shop would do it really cheap

Josh,

I think the fill hole Dutch is talking about... is at the back of the transmission... not the pan.
Yes it's at the back of the transmission ...I guess I will be more specific next time and say it will fill the pan

Don't make the mistake I did; took our '97 to a "we're good" tranny shop which only dropped the pan and then filled it with "Universal fluid", which was TOTALLY wrong!! Took it to another shop recommended by a Mark VIII owner and they did it right. Drained and flushed it all, converter, etc. Filled it with the correct Mercon fluid. The difference between the "wrong" and the "right" was noticable as soon as I drove it home. Smoother shifting, more positive engagement .. didn't "slide into gear" .... Lesson learned: DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!! Shop says it's good for two years normal city driving before I should do it again. And the cost was reasonable. Don't take it to a dealer .. ever.

Lincoln Mark VIII, .. 1997 Base model ...sorry didn't include that data ...

Okay. I never had one of those, but they seemed like a pretty good car to me. Just keep in mind that your experiences with that car may not translate to experiences with the LS, as it is a very different beast.

Members online

No members online now.
Back