oil leak

joshua

LVC Member
Reaction score
what is the common issue to an oil leak on the Ls, best areas to look at ? especially for slow leaks?

...Oil Pan Gasket just like most cars out there.

That's the first I've heard of that. Have you had an oil pan gasket leak? The way those gaskets are made, it's the last I would have expected.

what is the common issue to an oil leak on the Ls, best areas to look at ? especially for slow leaks?

How about some more details. Where does it drip from? Do you get smoke under the hood from it hitting the exhaust? What parts of the engine are damp with oil? Which generation do you have? V6 or V8?

That's the first I've heard of that. Have you had an oil pan gasket leak? The way those gaskets are made, it's the last I would have expected.
Yes I have replaced the oil pan gaskets on 3 different LS's. All 3 leaked very bad in the two areas I had mentioned for me. They all started out slow but overtime they got much worse.

Yes I have replaced the oil pan gaskets on 3 different LS's. All 3 leaked very bad in the two areas I had mentioned for me. They all started out slow but overtime they got much worse.
Interesting. V6 or V8? (BTW, I really, really wish my two were the oil pan gaskets instead of the front timing cover gaskets.)

It seems like they finally solved the valve cover gasket problem by the 05s.

Interesting. V6 or V8? (BTW, I really, really wish my two were the oil pan gaskets instead of the front timing cover gaskets.)
All were V8 that had leaks with oil (2 were gen 1 and one was a gen 2 06). The very first LS I owed was a V6 back in like 03 (bought it with like 10K miles on it) never had any kinda of leaks or any issues like that. Honestly had much better luck with that V6 version but then again, I got it with so little miles on it. So I was able to baby it till the time I got rid of it.

Last edited:
What about the oil plug? Mine still has a drip on or around there...
Anything's possible. Of course, any leak higher up is likely to drip from the oil plug.
I've had good luck with Ford oil plugs, and have never had to replace one. On the BMW, I had to put a new washer each time, but no leaks there either. On the Hyundai, I've had problems. I had to get an after market bolt with a rubber coated washer to get it to seal.

Anything's possible. Of course, any leak higher up is likely to drip from the oil plug.
I've had good luck with Ford oil plugs, and have never had to replace one. On the BMW, I had to put a new washer each time, but no leaks there either. On the Hyundai, I've had problems. I had to get an after market bolt with a rubber coated washer to get it to seal.
Thanks, I'm gonna have to fix some of my cooling system parts. I have some coolant crust around the base of my 9N499 pipe that I replaced 18 months ago. Yes, it was Motorcraft. Not sure if its cracked or not tight enough or what. Not an expensive part to replace, just a pain to get to. I will also thoroughly check to see where any oil leaks might be originating from when have the water pipes out of the way.

So, these are the correct part #'s for the drain plug and gasket, correct?

XW4Z-6730-AA
F75Z-6734-AA

And make sure you follow the torque sequence per the manual.

I usually do a triple torque sequence.

1st round - 60%
2nd round - 100%
3rd round - double check @ 100%

Also... its helpful if you copy the torque sequence from the manual... and tape it under the vehicle with you.

Then mark off each bolt with a pen every time you torque one... till every bolt on the paper has 3 marks.

Our '97 doesn't leak oil ... anywhere. Not a drop. Leaking any oil is not a good sign.

Didn't know Ford made a 1997 Lincoln LS. ;)
Whatever. It's a Ford under that fancy dress. Any oil leak from any car is not good. They are designed to keep the oil in the motor, not drip it onto the ground. Unless it's a "total loss" chain oiler on an old Triumph motorcycle. Then oil on ground is ok; means it's working.

Whatever. It's a Ford under that fancy dress. ...
No, and if you ever had one or worked on one your would know that. It's much more Jaguar than it is Ford. I'm not saying that as a positive or a negative, just as the reality that it is.

Members online

Back