oil leak

No, and if you ever had one or worked on one your would know that. It's much more Jaguar than it is Ford. I'm not saying that as a positive or a negative, just as the reality that it is.
I love it when the stupid mechanics say I have worked on many Lincoln Town cars and the LS is basically the same.... I know to run away from them idiots before they do damage.

It's actually surprising how many people don't know what the LS is. They think Town Car or Continental. Then when I mention the T-Bird... the light bulb comes on.

No, and if you ever had one or worked on one your would know that. It's much more Jaguar than it is Ford. I'm not saying that as a positive or a negative, just as the reality that it is.
I'd heard that the Mark VIII had a lot in common with Jags, especially the transmission, etc. The mechanic at the trans shop who knew what it really needed said "not the same as Jags at all that I know of ..." So ... I really don't know. As long as they keep it serviced ... that's what I care about having done right.

I'd heard that the Mark VIII had a lot in common with Jags, especially the transmission, etc. The mechanic at the trans shop who knew what it really needed said "not the same as Jags at all that I know of ..." So ... I really don't know. As long as they keep it serviced ... that's what I care about having done right.

No, the Mark VIII were not at all Jaguar. He got it wrong.
The Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type (and later the Thunderbird, XF type, and so on) came from a joint project between Ford and Jaguar (Ford owned Jaguar at the time). They had the BMW 5 series in mind as the main competition at the time. If you are familiar with BMW, you will also see that a lot was copied from them.

No, the Mark VIII were not at all Jaguar. He got it wrong.
The Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type (and later the Thunderbird, XF type, and so on) came from a joint project between Ford and Jaguar (Ford owned Jaguar at the time). They had the BMW 5 series in mind as the main competition at the time. If you are familiar with BMW, you will also see that a lot was copied from them.
Interesting! We enjoy our 97 Mark VIII Lincoln but parts are getting really difficult to find ... especially for the air suspension system. Engine is the basic crate unit; engine dies at 150K, take it out, drop in the crate engine, and away ya go!

Interesting! We enjoy our 97 Mark VIII Lincoln but parts are getting really difficult to find ... especially for the air suspension system. Engine is the basic crate unit; engine dies at 150K, take it out, drop in the crate engine, and away ya go!

The LS is just as bad, or worse, especially if you consider the fact that the LS had it's entire production run after the Mark VIII ended. No crate (or reman) engines for us, either

Thought I saw new "crate" 3.9 LS engines on Ford Parts a couple years back. Haven't checked lately... but I think they were around $5k... and VIN dependent.

Interesting. V6 or V8? (BTW, I really, really wish my two were the oil pan gaskets instead of the front timing cover gaskets.)

It seems like they finally solved the valve cover gasket problem by the 05s.

Is that so? I don't know because I'm no mechanic, but what I was just told about the OIL PAN GASKET replacement, is not encouraging by ANY s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

Yeah...I was noticing an oil burning odor every other time I cranked the car up. The odor would pretty much disappear after a few miles, but either way...

So I had it in to change the oil and asked them if they could spot just what was dripping, as I only knew s/thing was dripping on to s/thing hot, hence the "burning" odor. Well they changed my oil but said my OIL PAN GASKET needed to be replaced. I'm no mechanic and asked, if the oil pan is on the bottom of the car, what could it be DRIPPING on to cause the odor? He had no logical explanation, but the shop doesn't do the more "extensive" work on cars (pretty much a tire shop), but he did check on pricing and said I would probably end up paying s/thing like FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS to get it done?! "Whoa" I said to him.

I may check on it further at a shop that can give me a 2nd opinion and get me a price quote, but I'm not about to dump that kind of money into the car. That being said, a/one wanna buy an awesome '05 LS with approx 44k miles on it that is pretty much immaculate both inside/out, minus the oil leak? The condition of the car could pass for 4400 miles, not 44k, it's just that nice. I'm serious...I'll probably take time to get it ready to sell and see what it can bring.

Cheers

Is that so? I don't know because I'm no mechanic, but what I was just told about the OIL PAN GASKET replacement, is not encouraging by ANY s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

Yeah...I was noticing an oil burning odor every other time I cranked the car up. The odor would pretty much disappear after a few miles, but either way...

So I had it in to change the oil and asked them if they could spot just what was dripping, as I only knew s/thing was dripping on to s/thing hot, hence the "burning" odor. Well they changed my oil but said my OIL PAN GASKET needed to be replaced. I'm no mechanic and asked, if the oil pan is on the bottom of the car, what could it be DRIPPING on to cause the odor? He had no logical explanation, but the shop doesn't do the more "extensive" work on cars (pretty much a tire shop), but he did check on pricing and said I would probably end up paying s/thing like FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS to get it done?! "Whoa" I said to him.

I may check on it further at a shop that can give me a 2nd opinion and get me a price quote, but I'm not about to dump that kind of money into the car. That being said, a/one wanna buy an awesome '05 LS with approx 44k miles on it that is pretty much immaculate both inside/out, minus the oil leak? The condition of the car could pass for 4400 miles, not 44k, it's just that nice. I'm serious...I'll probably take time to get it ready to sell and see what it can bring.

Cheers
Good Grief...oil pan gasket is a 30 min job. $1500 is way too much.

That being said, I have a similar leak and the oil pan gasket is NOT the solution. Any oil leaking from above, e.g. oil adapter or more likely front cover gasket, will drip down and appear to be originating from the oil pan.

So rather than start a whole new thread, here are some pictures from underneath my 2004 V8. I have replaced the oil cooler, oil filter adapter gasket, oil pan gasket and the leak is still, well, leaking. The car is running tremendously. Just did a 300 mile jaunt down to Camp Pendleton from north of LA and got 24 mpg (with sitting in traffic for a portion of the trip). Temp was below 200 for most of the trip, when I wasn't sitting in traffic.

I do smell oil when I exit the car after turning the engine off. I'm afraid replacing the engine cover gaskets may be in my future, ugh!!!

LS Under1.jpg

LS Under2.jpg

LS Under3.jpg

LS under4.jpg

LS Under5.jpg

Good Grief...oil pan gasket is a 30 min job. $1500 is way too much.

That being said, I have a similar leak and the oil pan gasket is NOT the solution. Any oil leaking from above, e.g. oil adapter or more likely front cover gasket, will drip down and appear to be originating from the oil pan.

So rather than start a whole new thread, here are some pictures from underneath my 2004 V8. I have replaced the oil cooler, oil filter adapter gasket, oil pan gasket and the leak is still, well, leaking. The car is running tremendously. ...

I have the same issue with both of mine. I have changed all of that as well as valve cover gaskets and the front shaft seal. It wasn't one of those either. By this process of elimination, I feel like it must be the front timing cover gasket. Now, that could be a $1500 job or a few full days of my time. It's not worth that to me. $150 is probably closer to right for the V8 oil pan gasket.

... I'm no mechanic and asked, if the oil pan is on the bottom of the car, what could it be DRIPPING on to cause the odor? ...

I'm not saying that it is your oil pan gasket (I doubt that it is), but it would indeed result in a burning odor. What happens is that while you are driving, oil dripping from the bottom of the engine blows back and hits the exhaust plumbing.

but he did check on pricing and said I would probably end up paying s/thing like FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS to get it done?! "Whoa" I said to him.

You don't mention engine, but I think your profile pic shows base 16" wheels, which means a v6 for gen 2. The V6 oil pan gasket is much, much more involved than the V8. The subframe has to be dropped

Yes, that does make a big difference. It also opens up the possibility that the leak is really between the upper and lower part of the block, a much much more expensive problem.

IIRC... the V6's were known for an oil leak where the block, front cover, and valve cover meet.

The little dab of silicone at that junction deteriorates over time and milage. It can actually leak pretty severely.

Members online

No members online now.
Back