Lincoln PCM board

Black_Sunshine

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I have been shopping around for a PCM board repair place. One company I called had a misleading phone number (answered as a truck parts store.)

I did a chat session with Flagship 1. They recommended that I just replace the board for $155 and then call a locksmith to make the keys/ignition work. They said that a minimum board repair service would be $375, and that sometimes you send a board in for weeks, only to find that it can't be repaired.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone have experience with specific companies? Right now, I am leaning toward taking Flagship 1's advice and just getting a new PCM.

This is for a 2000 model with the 3.9L.

Thanks,
Jason

Guys,

I have been shopping around for a PCM board repair place. One company I called had a misleading phone number (answered as a truck parts store.)

I did a chat session with Flagship 1. They recommended that I just replace the board for $155 and then call a locksmith to make the keys/ignition work. They said that a minimum board repair service would be $375, and that sometimes you send a board in for weeks, only to find that it can't be repaired.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone have experience with specific companies? Right now, I am leaning toward taking Flagship 1's advice and just getting a new PCM.

This is for a 2000 model with the 3.9L.

Thanks,
Jason
Lincoln LS ECM ECU PCM Engine Computer Repair & Return Lincoln LS ECU Repair | eBay One year Warranty
Lincoln LS ECM ECU PCM Engine Computer Repair & Return Lincoln LS ECU Repair | eBay Lifetime Warranty

I am pretty sure if you get it repaired the correct way no extra programming is needed. (I think them places reprogram them if needed, they use the vin number to get the codes that go in the PCM) Also if you straight up replace the PCM I am pretty sure having a locksmith make new keys will likely will not help as the PCM is what will need to be programmed with the AS-Built data. Also you could just buy another used PCM and have someone flash it for about $100-$150.

Last edited:
Thanks Dale and Joe. Since others have had good results with SIA, I think I will try them. Its interesting that their eBay price is lower than their website price. I'm not all that concerned with the price difference. More concerned with reputation and reliability.

Jason

Thanks Dale and Joe. Since others have had good results with SIA, I think I will try them. Its interesting that their eBay price is lower than their website price. I'm not all that concerned with the price difference. More concerned with reputation and reliability.

Jason
I mean it's the same service with the same company just one has a different checkout process and it's cheaper! I would go with whatever makes you feel more comfortable but if it were me I know I would use their eBay listing considering the price difference.

Dale, Joe,

Is there any sure-fire way to tell if your Lincoln is the standard LS or the Sport? I looked on my VIN tag inside the door, and it didn't say. The SIA Ebay link makes me choose, and it shows a slight difference in the engines. I looked up past threads on this subject, and the information seems conflicting.

Thanks,
Jason

Dale, Joe,

Is there any sure-fire way to tell if your Lincoln is the standard LS or the Sport? I looked on my VIN tag inside the door, and it didn't say. The SIA Ebay link makes me choose, and it shows a slight difference in the engines. I looked up past threads on this subject, and the information seems conflicting.

Thanks,
Jason
If I am not mistaken the sports usually have the advance trac on them. I am not entirely sure though! I think you could always call a lincoln dealership and give them your vin and it would tell them which one it really is.

Also if you straight up replace the PCM I am pretty sure having a locksmith make new keys will likely will not help as the PCM is what will need to be programmed with the AS-Built data. Also you could just buy another used PCM and have someone flash it for about $100-$150.

An automotive locksmith should have the computer that can program keys, which is the same system used to flash PCMs. Some locksmiths just clone existing keys, so that won't help a PCM issue.

Thanks,
Jason

It doesn't matter. You're not looking at SIA's model lists, you're looking at SIA selecting all LS versions from Ebay's massive (and sometimes inaccurate) model listings for compatibility. The only difference I'm seeing The engines don't change because of trim. Gen 2 does lock the v6 to Base and the V8 to Sport/LSE, but gen 1 mixed freely. A base V6 is no different than a sport v6. Even the transmission is the same, all that changes is the shifter assembly and a PCM setting. There are changes between gens, though. All I'm seeing is a change in the engine listings is some list the cubic inches anyway

Note that the ebay list let's you pick a 2001 LSE but only with a V8. Gen 1 LSEs were only in 02 and could come with a V6 (and even with a manual)

Regardless, SIA won't even see what you pick in that chart

But to the actual question...
Sports always came with 17" wheels while most (all?) bases had 16s.
Sports have +/- select shift (SST mode), bases have 3/2/1 positions
Sports deleted the bumper chrome
Sports deleted the wood on the steering wheel and shifter
Sports have thicker sway bars (front sway bars are dependent on engine as well, 4 total)
Gen 1 Sports usually have 16mm front lower ball joint studs, gen 1 base usually had 14mm, gen 2-all usually (always?) has 16

LSEs are Sports with an appearance package. Unique bumpers, skirts, wheels, upper grille, rear license surround, and, in gen 2, different interior accents and all-red tail lights. 06 LS models have every LSE part except the tail lights (standard two-tones), but are still labeled as Sports. Note that all gen 1 trims had all-red tail lights

Premium sports applied the bumper chrome and wood wheel/knob accent back into the Sport

So looking at your thumbnail, you have a Sport - 17" wheels and no bumper chrome

AdvanceTrac on not has nothing at all to do with sport or not.
Sport = oil cooler between oil filter and adapter on the V8.
Sport = Select shift shifter.
Sport = special suspension on the VIN decoder
Sport = 17" wheels

Thanks guys.

The car is not in front of me at the moment, but I know I have 17” wheels, and I do have the +/- transmission selector for manual gear selection. Sounds like I need to declare on the eBay selection that it is a Sport model. Heaven forbid Lincoln put the word Sport or Sport package anywhere on the car’s door jam tag or anywhere in the manual.

Thanks,
Jason

AdvanceTrac on not has nothing at all to do with sport or not.
Sport = oil cooler between oil filter and adapter on the V8.
Sport = Select shift shifter.
Sport = special suspension on the VIN decoder
Sport = 17" wheels
Thanks Joe I stand corrected! And I actually have a sport then myself.

Sounds like I need to declare on the eBay selection that it is a Sport model.

No, you don't. SIA will never see what you picked there as I explained above. It's just a generic y/m/m/trim list embedded in the listing. SIA doesn't care. SIA is using your existing PCM.

In my experience most of the places that advertise refurbished PCM's just replace yours with a used unit. They might program it, but they don't work on them. They give a lifetime guarantee because they don't invest any time in repairing them. IMO any refurbishment would include replacing all the electrolytic capacitors and a good cleaning of the connectors. Whenever I've purchased or had one of these replaced by a refurbishment business, they always look like they've just been pulled from the wrecking yard. If SIA really does work on them, they're a jewel.

Vee8guy - We will see how it goes. At this point, I will just be happy if they find a problem with my old one, and provide a solution that can be plug-n-play. I have gone down this path mainly because I don't want to involve hiring a locksmith, or having to do some other kind of complicated memory flash and reprogramming that I am unprepared for.

If I end up getting mis-matched boards and having to take the car to a dealer to get it sorted out, I am more likely just going to haul the car to a junk yard and get it out of my life.

... If SIA really does work on them, they're a jewel.

SIA does not refurbish them or replace them. They test them and repair by replacing any defective components found. If they don't find any defects, they send it back to you as it is. If they can't repair it, they send it back to you.

On the LS, any replacement PCM can't be preprogrammed for your car. It has to be married on the car to the PATS and your keys.

On the LS, any replacement PCM can't be preprogrammed for your car. It has to be married on the car to the PATS and your keys.

I don't know what SCT did, but they sent me back a PCM with a different serial number on the outside case when I sent in my fried PCM for them to test. This was when the the tune upload failed and left my car unable to start

Members online

No members online now.
Back