2006 lincoln ls harmonic balancer

I thought this was interesting. Sounds like a good alternative to buying new.
Jaguar landing page

Funny you posted that, as this was my alternative if I had not been able to find a new one. He's not to far from me so it would have been convenient. I actually kept my old one to make this option even easier if ever I need to do it again.

Post a review if you decide to get it done. I kept my old one for that same reason too.

Post a review if you decide to get it done. I kept my old one for that same reason too.
I wish I would have seen this a year ago!!! I had a Dayco balancer from RockAuto start to come apart after only 9 months.

Where in LA are you? I am just north on the 101 in Camarillo.

I saw your posts about that. That’s why I decided to buy a used one from an earlier model, I didn’t want to risk having a new one fail.
I’m in the San Fernando valley. Near the 5 and 118. I work in Chatsworth. If I have another issue, I’ll probably have my original redone by that company. Reasonably priced too.

I saw your posts about that. That’s why I decided to buy a used one from an earlier model, I didn’t want to risk having a new one fail.
I’m in the San Fernando valley. Near the 5 and 118. I work in Chatsworth. If I have another issue, I’ll probably have my original redone by that company. Reasonably priced too.
Good to know there's a local member...There is another guy out near Ontario too!

It's not too bad...

Drain the coolant.
Remove upper radiator hose.
Remove intake hose.
Unmount DCCV(may be easier to just remove it completely), aux pump and AC dryer.
Remove fan.
Remove the belt.
The book says you have to remove the oil filter adapter. I did since I wanted to replace it's seal, but you might be able to leave it in place. It's tight if you do.
Use a strap wrench to hold the damper still while loosening the damper bolt. If you turn that damper backwards (strap slips), you'll damage the timing chains and have to replace them and tensioners. I used an old belt for the strap.
Remove the damper bolt. Use a damper puller to remove the damper. Make sure not to lose the key (should stay with the shaft).
Remove the shaft seal.
Install a new shaft seal, using the custom 3.9 shaft seal install tool (otherwise very difficult to get it straight and at the right position.
Install the new damper (special install tool not needed). Use correct sealant on the key/keyway.
Install a new damper bolt, if you can find one. If you can't, then guess by feel at the correct torque to use for the old, already stretched bolt. Use the strap wrench again to hold the damper, but at least now if it slips it will be going forward and won't do any damage.
Re-install the belt (new one recommended).
Re-install everything else.
Fill and bleed cooling system exactly by the book.
Enjoy.

Official details: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Last edited:
My next questions is, do I need to replace the harmonic balancer or just the rubber?

My next questions is, do I need to replace the harmonic balancer or just the rubber?

There is one guy that I have heard of that rebuilds the dampers. He only does it part of the year, and it takes a while to do it. Can your car sit for a while? If so, then maybe that would work for you. If not, then it's a new or used damper. The new ones are an unreasonable price. The new aftermarket ones seem to have a lifespan in months. Ones from the junkyard from 00 to 04 LSes seem to be okay.

Just looked at mine. Definitely running out too much. Pretty sure I am going to have it serviced by the guy in Salem mentioned in post #25. Unfortunately he is closed the month of June so it will have to wait until July. New Motorcraft harmonic balancers are ridiculously expensive and aftermarket ones such as Dayco have a bad reputation for failure. Don't want to do the job twice!

Just ordered all the parts to do the job. I found an OEM one for $351. My next question is, is it safe to drive the car with a balancer making noise?

That's impossible to answer with any certainty...

Got the last OEM harmonic balancer and it came damaged in shipping... Complaining to ebay, but worst case scenario, can this be repaired and used?

20190531_130650.jpg

It has to be smooth everywhere that the belt touches, or the belt will quickly be damaged. It also has to be well balanced.
Are you sure that it was damaged in shipping to you? Might it be that this is the reason it is the "last" one they have and is discounted?
It does appear that this is not the last one. OEM still seems to be available, but at $889

It has to be smooth everywhere that the belt touches, or the belt will quickly be damaged. It also has to be well balanced.
Are you sure that it was damaged in shipping to you? Might it be that this is the reason it is the "last" one they have and is discounted?
It does appear that this is not the last one. OEM still seems to be available, but at $889
Yes, it was very poorly packed with the edges touching the side of the box and there were tears in the box from the edges of the balancer. My thinking is if I can get a refund, try to smooth or weld the part back together so it isn't eating up my belt. I called my dealer and they said they couldn't get the part anymore, where did you find them for $889? (not that I'm going to pay that lol)

... I called my dealer and they said they couldn't get the part anymore, where did you find them for $889? (not that I'm going to pay that lol)

FordPartsGiant.com
However, they do sometimes have listings for parts they don't have...

I have no concerns with pulling and using a used one from anything but an 06 or maybe a late 05.

Members online

Back