2001 Lincoln LS V8 Valve Cover Gaskets Question

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct part numbers to the left and right side OEM Valve cover gasket kits for the 2001 Lincoln LS V8? I am having them replaced yet again so I figured I would go OEM this time if it is possible still.

Certainly can get them from Fordparts.com. Pricy suckers. I just used Felpro on mine. Not a lot of miles on it yet but did yours fail (obviously yes or you wouldn't be asking)?

I said in a previous post, Rock Auto had a closeout going on on Feldpro VC set.

Should be:
XW4Z-6584-AB
and
XW4Z-6584-BB

(Gaskets and seals)

Certainly can get them from Fordparts.com. Pricy suckers. I just used Felpro on mine. Not a lot of miles on it yet but did yours fail (obviously yes or you wouldn't be asking)?

I said in a previous post, Rock Auto had a closeout going on on Feldpro VC set.
Well yes one side has failed for sure but I really blame the guy that installed them. So I might chance it again with Fel-Pro as the person doing my repairs this time around is the person I wished had done it the first time around. I am gonna also have them change out my wiring harness. I think after everything is closed back up on the valve covers then I should have that harness changed out.

Hey, while you are at it, you might change the o-ring for the fill tube. I don't know which one to order, I just used one out of an assortment that I have. Once the cover is off, there are two tabs to press in while rotating the tube to remove it.

Hey, while you are at it, you might change the o-ring for the fill tube. I don't know which one to order, I just used one out of an assortment that I have. Once the cover is off, there are two tabs to press in while rotating the tube to remove it.
I know that was done the last time the gaskets were changed. But knowing how bad their work was in general I will likely have it changed again. Thanks for the heads up though as always Joe!

Where specifically is it leaking?
There's a trick (make a tool) to getting the two gaskets for the inside bolts on correctly. It's easy to forget one or more of the COP well gaskets. Also they might have missed the need for sealant at the timing cover seams.

Where specifically is it leaking?
There's a trick (make a tool) to getting the two gaskets for the inside bolts on correctly. It's easy to forget one or more of the COP well gaskets. Also they might have missed the need for sealant at the timing cover seams.
It's leaking in the back of the cover and hitting the exhaust. The COP wells are bone dry!

My VCG's were done at 180k... And so far no issues at 215k.

For the filler neck o-ring... go up one size in thickness. Or clean out the groove of all oil, (brake kleen), and squeeze a bunch of RTV in it... Then wipe off the excess after the tube is installed, and give it overnight to cure.

If they are leaking where the timing cover meets the block... then the previous mech didn't use quick dry RTV, and didn't let the regular stuff sit long enough.

...For the filler neck o-ring... go up one size in thickness. Or clean out the groove of all oil, (brake kleen), and squeeze a bunch of RTV in it... Then wipe off the excess after the tube is installed, and give it overnight to cure...

I used the same size o-ring (as far as I could tell) and used RTV. I changed the VCGs a week ago on my 06 at 190K + miles. They weren't leaking (except for seeping around the filler), but I figured I'd do it now (was time to change the plugs anyway) and not have to worry about it the rest of the time I have the car. I changed the COP boots as a just-in-case, but the COPs are still going strong (changed just before 100K).

Then he probably didn't follow the proper tightening sequence and/or torque specs.

My VCG's were done at 180k... And so far no issues at 215k.

For the filler neck o-ring... go up one size in thickness. Or clean out the groove of all oil, (brake kleen), and squeeze a bunch of RTV in it... Then wipe off the excess after the tube is installed, and give it overnight to cure.

If they are leaking where the timing cover meets the block... then the previous mech didn't use quick dry RTV, and didn't let the regular stuff sit long enough.
I will be sure to pass this info along to the mechanic! Thanks ! I may be wrong about where the leak is coming from so this is good info to have. The leak is very, very small! I only say that cause I have barely had to add any oil. It really only starts smoking from the leak when the car is on a hill or at a slight angle.

The factory manual shows the proper torque sequence... And IIRC the torque value is the same as the cooling system parts... 89 inch pounds, ( I'm probably wrong though).

I DID go through the torque sequence 3 times though, just to make sure all the bolts were tightened to spec.

The factory manual shows the proper torque sequence... And IIRC the torque value is the same as the cooling system parts... 89 inch pounds, ( I'm probably wrong though).

I DID go through the torque sequence 3 times though, just to make sure all the bolts were tightened to spec.
Pretty sure you are right.

the plug cap grommet is distinct where the cam cover gaskets are smashed down I want to try another brand or find a solution …. permetex in the grooves first ….or ? rock auto states felpro strategy is conforming that the gaskets are supposed to conform but I used an aftermarket brand that may be too cheep like the small forward seams are smashed down on the plug seals I want to try the blue ones

k your m k your D hard to find a northstar with rearwheel drive he ha serious the plug cap gasket has a ridge the valve cover gasket gets smashed you don't know if its standing up to the newer oils see oils and petroleum has different effects on rubbers and plastic felpro says conforms or molded …. im takin a chance on the blue ones this time did you get that lol

has anyone tried Permatex under the tube grommets
I wanted to use a newer type gasket there not all the same I assume silicone is newer type rubber compound

the jag has valleys for the gromets milled out the head the Lincoln also evidently

4th time if I didn't get a couple with oil around the boot I got a couple with water from the park its been hapnin a lot no satisfaction from lead feet

Members online

No members online now.
Back