Dash light indicating light out stays on!

tireman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I found the third brake light out and replaced it. But the dash warning light stays on? Checked all the other lights, even the glove box, doors, interior, cig lighter, etc. etc. no lights out? Hmmm, checked turn, fog, high and low, trunk, backup, license plate, side markers, backup, all ok. Does it take time to update the warning light, I always thought it would turn off quickly. 01V6 base 206k miles.

The warning light is instant, no memory. It will go out the instant you correct the problem (verified experimentally). Did you use the same bulbs, or LED? Did you check the parking lights?
A good Ford specific scanner (Forscan probably can) can actually retrieve codes that indicate which specific bulb is the problem. Generic scanners can't.

used the same bulb, not led. All lights checked. this car is always a challenge.

Blinkers? Although that would cause hyperflash on the dash (outside blinks the correct speed regardless). I believe all it explicitly checks, on gen 1 at least, is front parking (3157 bulb only), front blinkers, rear blinkers, outer tail lights (3157 bulb only), and low brake lights. Low beams, high beams, fogs, high brake, 168-size front markers, and the 168-size tail lights have all been disconnected or gone out on me without a dash warning at some point. I have the V8 with the message center though, so it's easier to find the cause. I'm assuming it operates identically as the bulb-out lamp

...I'm assuming it operates identically as the bulb-out lamp

That's my assumption as well. I think it is a reasonable one. While the bulbs you mentioned do not trigger a dash warning, several of them are actually monitored and will trigger a DTC if you scan for it.

I do not put much faith in that dash message center. Had headlight out for weeks and the message center never caught it. Third brake light out for two months, well according to my wife who never told me, message center never caught it either. All I can say it "good luck."

I do not put much faith in that dash message center. Had headlight out for weeks and the message center never caught it. Third brake light out for two months, well according to my wife who never told me, message center never caught it either. All I can say it "good luck."

Works As Designed

Those are two of the lights that it does not monitor, so why expect it to mention them? Press status and it will name every light that it will warn you about. Connect a good OBDII scan tool and it will show a code for the headlight that is out.

I noticed in the owners manual the the third light is not monitored, so I figured it was the one triggering the warning, so I replaced it. So now what do I have? Dash light is on and all lights work. Hmmmmm.

Found an older thread that explains the situation perfectly. A bulb does not need to be out to trigger the fault light, it could be on it's way out. Look for a brighter bulb that the others or weaker bulb. It may take a month or more for the light to actually fail. Thank you for all the responses!

Last edited:
I noticed in the owners manual the the third light is not monitored, so I figured it was the one triggering the warning, so I replaced it. So now what do I have? Dash light is on and all lights work. Hmmmmm.

Found an older thread that explains the situation perfectly. A bulb does not need to be out to trigger the fault light, it could be on it's way out. Look for a brighter bulb that the others or weaker bulb. It may take a month or more for the light to actually fail. Thank you for all the responses!
Finally! A week or so later and the rear brake light 3157 craps out! Put a new one in and no more dash warning light. Great!

Members online

Back