Getting P0320 and P0340 codes

P0t0g0ld

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting intermittent codes. It seems to alternate between P0320 and P0340 but it hasn't tripped both at the same time. I'm getting several symptoms and I haven't been able to figure out the cause yet. The car is running pretty awful starting from idle. It's idling high when I first start it and once it gets down to normal idle of about 750 it will just randomly die like I just turned the key off. Sometimes when I'm just sitting with the car in park and I rev it up, the RPMs are really slow to come back down to normal idle speeds. Ok. Then when I'm driving it, sometimes it will die sitting at a stop light or die when I accelerate from a stop, or accelerate in general. Typically, when I get up to speed, it will run alright. But when it's sputters at acceleration, the tach will either jump up to 7,000 and down to 0 or jump all around in between but just run awful. When it does this, the battery light typically turns on. Other symptoms. The transmission will shift hard sometimes or not want to go into drive. The ABS light came on and once the ABS was kicking on while driving on dry roads. When it first started and I was running on the highway, I was running with cruise control and after I braked, it shut the cruise control all the way off where pushing resume wouldn't resume, I had to turn the CC back on. Sometimes after I start it, it will miss on a cylinder real bad and if I shut it off and back on, it will stop missing. It never gave me a misfire code though. Yep, that's what's going on and I don't know why! I've replaced the cam position sensor, crank position sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump over the last 3 weeks or so and it just keeps getting worse. Any help in diagnosing would be a life saver! Thanks!

The car is a 2002 Lincoln ls v8

So I'm getting intermittent codes. It seems to alternate between P0320 and P0340 but it hasn't tripped both at the same time. I'm getting several symptoms and I haven't been able to figure out the cause yet. The car is running pretty awful starting from idle. It's idling high when I first start it and once it gets down to normal idle of about 750 it will just randomly die like I just turned the key off. Sometimes when I'm just sitting with the car in park and I rev it up, the RPMs are really slow to come back down to normal idle speeds. Ok. Then when I'm driving it, sometimes it will die sitting at a stop light or die when I accelerate from a stop, or accelerate in general. Typically, when I get up to speed, it will run alright. But when it's sputters at acceleration, the tach will either jump up to 7,000 and down to 0 or jump all around in between but just run awful. When it does this, the battery light typically turns on. Other symptoms. The transmission will shift hard sometimes or not want to go into drive. The ABS light came on and once the ABS was kicking on while driving on dry roads. When it first started and I was running on the highway, I was running with cruise control and after I braked, it shut the cruise control all the way off where pushing resume wouldn't resume, I had to turn the CC back on. Sometimes after I start it, it will miss on a cylinder real bad and if I shut it off and back on, it will stop missing. It never gave me a misfire code though. Yep, that's what's going on and I don't know why! I've replaced the cam position sensor, crank position sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump over the last 3 weeks or so and it just keeps getting worse. Any help in diagnosing would be a life saver! Thanks!

The car is a 2002 Lincoln ls v8
Have you looked at your Timing Chains and Transmission fluid lately? You may need an alternator unless the chain skipped a tooth and it’s messing with the charging system ...I will be finding out myself in about two weeks if my chains are trashed on my 2001 LS I will let You know soon if the timing chain effects the alternator...but yeah I would check out the color of you transmission fluid for sure

Last edited:
... if the timing chain effects the alternator ...

Alternator is belt driven. It could care less what the timing is doing.
Long as the engine somehow is able to turn the belt it will engage the charging system.

If timing is out, it'll still run a bit thereby turning the belt and running the accessories.
Timing so bad, that it'll not stay run would of course affect how that alternator belt is spinning.

Last edited:
Alternator is belt driven. It could care less what the timing is doing.
Long as the engine somehow is able to turn the belt it will engage the charging system.

If timing is out, it'll still run a bit thereby turning the belt and running the accessories.
Timing so bad, that it'll not stay run would of course affect how that alternator belt is spinning.

That’s good to know I’m battling a P0172 code right now and I guess the worst case scenario is the timing chain tenstioners are shot and it skipped a tooth I have a lean code on bank 2 that is stored and a Bank 1 to rich code on the other side...I here it’s a good sign that the chain skipped a tooth... I also have been getting the Charging system failure message on the status with a red battery light intermittent so for some reason I thought the Chain might influence the belt in some fashion ...always learning about this machine called the Lincoln LS ...anyway with the P0172 code I heard that you could chase your tail for a long time before you finally pinpoint the exact issue ...I heard it could even be a faulty EVAP purge canister...when I take off the hose on the top of EVAP canister purge left side of engine the vacuum line is always sucking air does that mean it’s stuck open? Which means I need a new purge valve? Just curious

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back