Strange power loss

Corberg71

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m brand new to the forum and was looking for some advise with my 01 LS V8. So when I take off from a stop and give a some more throttle than normal the car falls on it’s face. Cuts out and sounds terrible. I’m don’t know these cars that well. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Well, the first thought is always marginal COPs. However, it could be something else. Is your check engine light on? The first step is to pull any and all DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the car using a Ford specific scan tool. The lowest cost one that I know of is Forscan, but there are several others too.

Well, the first thought is always marginal COPs. However, it could be something else. Is your check engine light on? The first step is to pull any and all DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the car using a Ford specific scan tool. The lowest cost one that I know of is Forscan, but there are several others too.
Ok thanks for the info I’ll check that out

So I replaced the coils with OEM Motorcraft coils and plugs. I still have the same problem. One thing I noticed is the traction device light is on all the time. Would that possibly have something to do with my power loss?

So I replaced the coils with OEM Motorcraft coils and plugs. I still have the same problem. One thing I noticed is the traction device light is on all the time. Would that possibly have something to do with my power loss?

Yes, it could be related. Are there any other conditions/symptoms/warning lights that you haven't mentioned?

Yes, it could be related. Are there any other conditions/symptoms/warning lights that you haven't mentioned?
Yes actually when I’ put my foot into it a little it’s kinda falls on it’s face. Also it sometimes has a rotten eggs smell

...Also it sometimes has a rotten eggs smell

Oh well, then I think we have the answer. Clogged catalytic converters, probably caused be prior misfires from bad coils.
You can unscrew the forward two O2 sensors (temporarily) and take a test drive and see if the power loss is much better. What you are doing is relieving exhaust back pressure by letting exhaust escape from the holes that the O2 sensors are normally in.

I replaced my coils about a year ago and found a full set of 8 for only around $90.00 on line. Years ago they were VERY expensive. But now you can find great deals online. My thought is that there were a lot made of these particular styles at one time, and now sit in inventory since they are not sold as much as they used to and are obsolete (meaning newer cars use newer coil designs etc) thus the good deals available.

I replaced my coils about a year ago and found a full set of 8 for only around $90.00 on line. Years ago they were VERY expensive. But now you can find great deals online. My thought is that there were a lot made of these particular styles at one time, and now sit in inventory since they are not sold as much as they used to and are obsolete (meaning newer cars use newer coil designs etc) thus the good deals available.

You can get them for cheaper than that, but you shouldn't. You could cost yourself some very expensive catalytic converters due to the marginal nature of the cheap coils. So far, the only safe bet we have found for coils is the $50 (each) Motorcraft coils. The last set I bought has gone well over a 100K miles, so it seems like they have finally fixed the epoxy problem.

You can get them for cheaper than that, but you shouldn't. You could cost yourself some very expensive catalytic converters due to the marginal nature of the cheap coils. So far, the only safe bet we have found for coils is the $50 (each) Motorcraft coils. The last set I bought has gone well over a 100K miles, so it seems like they have finally fixed the epoxy problem.
Well thats good knowledge to have! I would never have thought about - I figured a coil is a coil and would not have thought about the effects bad ones could have on the catalytic converter. Now i wish I could go back and see what brand I bought - I think I bought them through 1aauto.com. Ill pay close attention next time I have to buy them!

Check out some of the coil threads on here. Some have been okay with aftermarket, for a while, but others have not.

Members online

No members online now.
Back