2006 Lincoln ls issue with valve cover on drivers side

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was trying to change out my valve cover gaskets & secondary tensioners. I have all the screws broke lose expect for the two in the coil pack area that hold it down. The issue is the previous owner has put in different bolts and they are stripped out can't get any socket on them to turn them. Bought several different stripped bolt kits and nothing works the closest thing was the Gator Socket but the issue was it can sit flat enough to grab the bolt. Does anyone have any ideas how to get them off.
1.jpg
2.jpg

passengers side.jpg

I got the passenger side off without any issue. It's the drivers side that is being a pain.

Last edited:
Maybe something like this?
Industrial Boys

Cut the heads off with a Dremel? This may damage the valve cover too much to be able to reuse it. Once the cover's off, you should be able to screw the bolts out with some vise-grips. This assumes that the bolt threads and/or head threads aren't damaged.

Maybe something like this?
Industrial Boys

Cut the heads off with a Dremel? This may damage the valve cover too much to be able to reuse it. Once the cover's off, you should be able to screw the bolts out with some vise-grips. This assumes that the bolt threads and/or head threads aren't damaged.

I was thinking to maybe try to take a Dremel and notch out a line for a flat head screwdriver and hope it comes out. I am to the point where I am just gonna have it towed to a mechanic. Cause had some issues getting the passengers side tensioner to tighten up to the chain, there to me still is a bit too much slack. That tensioner should be tight to the chain correct?

I am gonna also go ahead and get another valve cover from the junk yard (if I can find one obviously in good shape) But was wondering does anyone know what model cars used the same valve covers? I mean I know the Jag S-type should be the same right ? Is there any other motors that would have that same valve cover? Cause I am gonna assume the old one is already jacked up and will likely get worse when working with them stripped out bolts. I mean they are like $10 at the junk yard so no biggie on that just need to know what motors have that same cover.

... I mean I know the Jag S-type should be the same right ? ...

Maybe, maybe not. The 2nd gen jag has stepped valve timing on both the intake and the exhaust. (The 2nd gen LS has variable valve timing on the intake only.) You'll just have to look and see.

I think that the only ones that would fit would be from 2003 to 2006 LS and 2003 to 2005 Thunderbird.

Maybe, maybe not. The 2nd gen jag has stepped valve timing on both the intake and the exhaust. (The 2nd gen LS has variable valve timing on the intake only.) You'll just have to look and see.

I think that the only ones that would fit would be from 2003 to 2006 LS and 2003 to 2005 Thunderbird.

Ok kinda figures! Hopefully I can get lucky then, cause I know they don't have any thunderbirds and I think only one 2004 LS right now and won't know if it's a V6 or V8 till I go out there...

Yeah, I have to go hunting for a front door latch this weekend. There is (or maybe was) an 03 at a local yard with the engine still in (V8) last time I was there. There's another yard that usually has more.

Is the latch the same from a gen1? I currently have a donor car, if it fits it's yours.

I got lucky this morning! I found a used valve cover for $30 that is good shape on eBay. So I went ahead and ordered it cause the junk yard here in town said the motor is already gone. For all the effort to remove that sides cover $30 is a steal for sure.

Does anyone know the part number for the Secondary tensioner bolts? I got one mixed up and had some issues, the bolt snapped off but I was able to remove it with no problems. Also as well for the 2001 v8 I know the plastic tensioner being replaced has some issues with spacing on the old bolt after the metal one replaces it. I have to replace them old tensioners on that one as well so I wanted to get all the bolts at the same time.

Edit:
2006 upper tensioner bolt part number
Ford Part No.: -W500301-S300
2001 upper tensioner bolt revised part number
Ford Part No.: -W705391-S300

Last edited:
Got the valve cover off finally and discovered that the upper chains need to be changed cause one side was stretched. This means that I would have to do the main timing chain as well right. I am gonna do the main chain either way since both upper tensioners were broke. And I am about to order the parts and the gasket for the cover. Does anyone recommend anything else while I am down there? I should really say I am gonna have a mechanic do this I just wanted honest feedback on what else should likely be done. She has around 245,000 miles on her and I think she still has a lot of life in her, and plus the mechanic kinda owes a favor anyway. And this mechanic has worked on a bunch of Jaguar Motors so I feel safe with them doing it.

Main chain?
There are four chains. Two primaries, one for the intake cam on each bank, and two secondaries, one from the intake to the exhaust on each bank. If one bank needs chains, then I would do the other bank at the same time. There's very little added labor at that point.

Main chain?
There are four chains. Two primaries, one for the intake cam on each bank, and two secondaries, one from the intake to the exhaust on each bank. If one bank needs chains, then I would do the other bank at the same time. There's very little added labor at that point.
Yeah I meant to say main chains I knew it had 4 my bad. And I am planning to go ahead and have it all done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back