2006 Lincoln Ls question about lifters

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I thought my issue might have been timing chain related but got one side fixed today (have not tried to crank yet) and gonna do the other side tomorrow I am talking about the upper tensioners the passengers side one looked like

timing.jpg

Yes I know that is bad but the timing was pretty much still spot on. I won't know for sure the shape of the other one till tomorrow once I get the fuel line out the way so I can remove the other sides valve cover. I am assuming it's gonna look about the same, cause the passengers side was not actually making any noise. I was having some noise on the drivers side prior to the car not cranking so I had prepared to do this before. But like I said I am assuming only cause the timing was dead on other than the lack of the top of the tensioner being there which corrected soon I got the cam back in place.

My question though is when I had the oil mount and oil cooler fixed a few months back, the car had got drained on the oil and the car had some issues with the lifters after that the mechanic said but they got the oil back in and got it sorted. I had to again take the oil out the car when I dropped the oil pan to change my gasket. My question is was there anything special I needed to do once I got the oil back in it? I did not think the Lifters on the LS were the tradition style from what I have read on here, so I am a bit confused on what to do. I am obviously gonna fix the other side of the upper tensioners before I attempt cranking it again. But I am just trying to be prepared cause I really think the reason it would not crank is the lifters since that mechanic had the issue before when oil got taken out the car.

Also how hard are the lifters to change and can anyone link me to the correct part number? Many thanks in advance.

You really need better mechanics.
The LS does not have hydraulic lifters. It has solid tappets (and shims) instead. There's nothing to bleed down or to be pumped up or whatever.

2006 shouldn't have any chain/tensioner issues. Some gen II do have cam synchronizers that can be noisy on start up for a couple of seconds till they refill with oil.

You really need better mechanics.
The LS does not have hydraulic lifters. It has solid tappets (and shims) instead. There's nothing to bleed down or to be pumped up or whatever.

2006 shouldn't have any chain/tensioner issues. Some gen II do have cam synchronizers that can be noisy on start up for a couple of seconds till they refill with oil.

Ok, then I am really hoping it was the tensioners being worn out. I guess time will tell tomorrow on if it will crank or not once they are replaced. And yes I am sure I do need a better mechanic but money is tight right now and he is usually are pretty good with cars. (He is also a machiner so he usually knows his stuff) This was the only time I have seen him be wrong about something. He was just likely assuming cause I know he said he has not worked on this type of motor much in his time. I have never heard any tapping or ticking anyways other than when the oil got low cause of the oil leak. But when full of oil like it should be it always cranked clean other than the sound of that worn secondary tensioner.

The car did not sound horrible when it tried to crank, it just sounded like a chain not going where it needed. And a few times it got close to cranking but I figured I better stop, I did not want to risk any more damage. The car cranked fine until it got towed home cause of the serpentine belt being worn cause of the old oil leaks. So hoping the tensioner just got out of wack cause of that. I mean not sure if that really could have happened but the passengers side was pretty jacked up overall and the top was missing (was in my oil pan)

Last edited:
I'm getting there...
Mine kinda got screwed up when one of the cam bolts snapped off when going back in. Getting some tools to work on that tomorrow as well. Thankfully it did not break off flat though. There is a part of the old bolt still there so I can work with that to get it out.

Then when my 2nd set of valve cover gaskets come in. I have to do the same thing to my 2001 cause of them having the old tensioners. So yeah enough right there to make you want to scream! But the other was not damaged atleast. I am doing it to prevent damage since the Gen 1 Tensioners are junk.

Members online

Back